• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I just took their "you suck, it's not the gun" class looking to review fundamentals, and looking for "work arounds" for being disabled. It was excellent...pistol 101 on steroids.

Don't let the class name put you off. The instructors were supportive with any criticism being constructive. Their approach was to embrace misses as feedback to be learned from. There's no reinventing the wheel, and the material was familiar to any experienced shooter but the presentation was very detailed, providing psychological and physical explanations behind the techniques. There was something to be gained for shooters of most levels (master level USPSA shooters can save their $ for ammo, and just go practice).

They ran a hot range and safety was strictly enforced, to include students repeating range commands to insure they were heard and understood. Muzzle someone and you're done; muzzle yourself and you get A warning. Depending on your attitude, you can watch if you get DQ'd. There were no problems and they commended the class for responsible gun handling

The pace was slow and low-round-count. In 8 hours, we fired about 120 rounds. Several reasons:
    *When they said "no time limit per drill" they meant it. This is class is about fundamentals and there were new shooters struggling with those (and a disabled shooter struggling to stand on tired, wobbly, legs).
    *Time was taken for individual feedback between drills
    *There was detailed lecture/demo and Q&A at the firing line between drills

The drills were basically "dot torture" firing 5 shots at a single 1" dot. We started with firing 10 shots at a dot at 10 yards to establish a base-line for ourselves. We then shot 5 round drills at 1,3, and 5 yards, to diagnose mistakes and try corrective methods. Some of those involved dry fire with an empty case set on the front sight, and having another student set one's gun up with either a live round or empty chamber (there was a strict protocol for passing the pistols). We finished the day by going back to firing 10 shots at 10 yards to see what improvement we made.

Like I said, this class was pistol 101 on steroids. The instructors were focused on student improvement--and we all did. Aside from good instructors, the students were a good group too, but that's to be expected from the gun community...usually. BTW all of their classes are MCOLE certified as LEO continuing ed.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'll also highly endorse MDFI - though I'm like 10 years removed from my last class from them.

Also "local" - Infinity Solutions in north western Indiana as well as Defensive Elements. D.E. isn't nearly as close as Infinity Solutions, but they have classes in IL, IN, MI, and OH semi-regularly.

Top Bottom