• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i guess it can go in this forum just the same as it was a test of gear and being able to do stuff outside in the rain and wind vs inside or around the house on a good day. figured i would let the little one come along and play to. so we went for a nice 4 mile walk (lol for her about 1 mile which i thought good for a 3 y/o) and i packed her around for the rest but either way was a blast. we wanted to check out just starting fires with nothing more than a fire steel and striker and to check the strength of a couple knives doing baton work. either way we had a blast and she managed to hold her bathroom break till we got home which was nice even though i was prepared with my go bag to for her to do it in the wild lol. any ways had a good day and decided that after wood soaking in the snow for many many days it takes a lot more than most are prepared for to start the fire. nothing cooperates, first its crazy wind, then its crazy rain, then its your little one having to pee and ect. nothing works out like you think it should so my advice is to go out and try stuff cause when shtf it will be the wrong time to test your gear. here is a couple picks from the outing and all in al we had alot of fun

her and her best friend around

DSCN0887.jpg

the tools of the trade today

DSCN0889.jpg

her keeping the fire going

DSCN0891.jpg

lol i also got a super cool video of her finding her first tracks. she really believe they were coyote tracks but in all reality it was our foot prints but it was still cute to see her enthusiasm in the whole ordeal cause she was sure daddy these are coyote tracks. guess i can try to add it :)

again folks its not nice out but go out and test your gear don't just assume it will work cause my nice irish setter gortex boots sure let my feet get wet today which is strange for gortex. either way go outside and play. hope you enjoy the pics as much as we did taking them

Last edited:

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Awsome reminder of what life is all about. great to see you get out and play and even better to see you starting the little one out right.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    It would be smart of us all to take our equipment for a test run from time to time and like you I have a little one that will be the key to how we make it. My boy will be a key part to slowing me down but at the same time the great motivation that drives me to succeed in our survival.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I can't wait till my son is old enough to do that.

For the wet wood find enough that is dry enough to burn then when it is burning take wood that is a little wet and suspend it over the fire to dry it out........ it is a cool last resort trick. You can put it around the fire but above the fire will get the job done faster. You may have known that allready but figured I would post if anyone did not.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    yeah awesome post brother!! im glad to see you out passing it on to your kids. they will remember everything. i got a 3 year old daughter too, and she is a sponge. its so awesome to see their first experiences. with my job i am gone for several months at a time, and that one of the biggest things i hate is missing out on the little things that i'll never get back. THIS IS MY LAST YEAR contracting overseas!!! WAHOOOO!!
    thanks again for sharing!

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    yeah awesome post brother!! im glad to see you out passing it on to your kids. they will remember everything. i got a 3 year old daughter too, and she is a sponge. its so awesome to see their first experiences. with my job i am gone for several months at a time, and that one of the biggest things i hate is missing out on the little things that i'll never get back. THIS IS MY LAST YEAR contracting overseas!!! WAHOOOO!!
    thanks again for sharing!

Be carefully over there man, a friend of mine just survived an IED that hit the vehicle he was in, only got a concussion but still......

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    thanks everyone we had a blast. and she enjoys going for the walk and playing with the fire but it was annoying to get it going but was fine once it did.

yeah e5ranger, i was all set up with blackwater but just decided i needed to kick it at home for a bit with the little one. i did 2 years in iraq and a year in afghanistan and once she was born i figured i probably ought to let it go and kick it at home.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Awesome post and thanks for sharing. I know for me it days like this with mine really make it worth living.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    thanks guys for the support.

Tactical Dave: i hope your friend is doing good! give him my best.

grunt soldier: I feel you man! i waited afew years to go back over there. I was in afghanistan in the Army from the start, i never served in Iraq in the Army but i have been there afew times now, and it sucks. lots of engagements. the IED's and VBIED's scare the crap out of me, but you gotta press on. even though im technically not a soldier anymore i feel like my job im performing when im there deffinately keeps my brothers in uniform safe. Its the best HONOR in the world being able to work alongside them, it feels like im still in. man i miss the Army. When you are with brothers who have been there like you the bond that you have is instant and amazing. theres many times that ive met fellow vets for the first time and quickly felt a stronger bond with them than people ive known for years. thanks for your service guys!

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Cute kid. I cant wait to take our first hike her in a couple weeks. My 6yr old boy already has his little "Goed bag" packed with a poncho, compass and survival whistle and plastic kabar clone along with a pack of gummi bears for a snack. Kids are a joy I dont know what I would do without them.

Top Bottom