• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Let me give you a scenario that actually happened to me. I'm curious to know how you would have handled it.

I needed gutters for my house, so I called a local company to get a quote. The owner arrived and saw that I was building a trailer. He told me he really needed a new trailer and he needed his old trailer fixed. He told me that my gutters were going to cost $1,500, but he was willing to work out a deal. I would build him a new trailer, fix his old trailer, and put those items against the cost of the gutters. So, I built him a trailer to his exact specifications. Before I started on it, I made sure he knew that the trailer he wanted wasn't going to be cheap, and he said it wasn't an issue. He installed the gutters and two weeks later, I gave him a detailed bill for the materials I used to build the trailer exactly how he wanted and to repair his old trailer. The bill was right at $3,000 which did not include labor. He said it was too much, he only wanted to pay $500. He suggested I keep the $3,000 trailer that I didn't want and I should pay $1,500 for the gutters he installed.

What would have been the ethical thing to do?

In case you're wondering, this was all done on a hand shake and verbal agreement. There was no written contract.

I would only ask if he had set a budget stipulation before you started. To even consider a custom 1 off trailer would be $500 is a real push.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I did tell him the trailer was going to be well over $2,500. $2,500-$1,500=$1,000 so he already knew it was going to be over $500

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I did tell him the trailer was going to be well over $2,500. $2,500-$1,500=$1,000 so he already knew it was going to be over $500

OK.
    Not having been in on the original conversation I would have to say I do not know how I would handle this.
    Was he aware of the over run on materials. Fair question as to the conversation.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yes. The "over $2,500" was before he added things like a removable rear gate and storage boxes on the sides. I told him those options would obviously add more in materials. I also made sure to let him know that I was taking time off work to drive to Michigan to get materials (axle, wheels, etc) in order to save him money. Gas, labor, and time off work wasn't included in the materials list I gave him.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes. The "over $2,500" was before he added things like a removable rear gate and storage boxes on the sides. I told him those options would obviously add more in materials. I also made sure to let him know that I was taking time off work to drive to Michigan to get materials (axle, wheels, etc) in order to save him money. Gas, labor, and time off work wasn't included in the materials list I gave him.

I would have been seriously PO'd

Did he pay you...???

Last edited:

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.

I would tell him that I would sell the trailer, settle his bill and he was liable for the difference if any. No money until it sells.

Our written quotes always stated we had a 10% variance.

Don

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Let me give you a scenario that actually happened to me. I'm curious to know how you would have handled it.

I needed gutters for my house, so I called a local company to get a quote. The owner arrived and saw that I was building a trailer. He told me he really needed a new trailer and he needed his old trailer fixed. He told me that my gutters were going to cost $1,500, but he was willing to work out a deal. I would build him a new trailer, fix his old trailer, and put those items against the cost of the gutters. So, I built him a trailer to his exact specifications. Before I started on it, I made sure he knew that the trailer he wanted wasn't going to be cheap, and he said it wasn't an issue. He installed the gutters and two weeks later, I gave him a detailed bill for the materials I used to build the trailer exactly how he wanted and to repair his old trailer. The bill was right at $3,000 which did not include labor. He said it was too much, he only wanted to pay $500. He suggested I keep the $3,000 trailer that I didn't want and I should pay $1,500 for the gutters he installed.

In case you're wondering, this was all done on a hand shake and verbal agreement. There was no written contract.
    You should have gotten the deal in writing. Essentially, that's what a quote is. It is a good faith estimate for the work. You should have worked up an estimate for him on the trailer. Slightly different scenario. You made sure he knew it wasn't going to be cheap? Did you two agree on the definition of that?

Here's what I personally went through. Hired a fence company to put up a fence. I wanted 3/4" thick boards. It was written in the contract 3/4" actual thickness (as apposed to nominal). Told the estimator personally, this is actual thickness, not nominal. He said he understood. Got home from work 2 days later and the new fence was up. Boards were 1/2" thick. I called them and said they needed to fix it or I wasn't going to pay. They told me that's how lumber is measured and if I don' pay they'll sue and hung up. Called an atty friend of mine. He looked over the contract and the first words out of his mouth was "pay it". He explained that as long as they weren't wronged, there would be no counter suit. I then sued, won, got the fence done right, and basically got paid $50 to put up a new fence.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    So between the call yesterday when it was simple , Father -"Oh? This seems high, why'd it cost quite a bit more than originally estimated", font desk lady - "rata rata rata, machine shop, rata rata rata, valves", they managed to knock off $300 from the bill that wasn't reflected as a discount or a line item adjustment. I'm assuming they either pulled it from the now $400 machine shop or off of labor costs. To me, if that was an honest $300 in there it wouldn't just come off. I'd expect an explanation or a run through on why they thought it was justified, and if push came to shove maybe they'd lower (customer service). Anyways, that's how I read the situation. Bill paid, is what it is.

Also to all the mechanic people in here, I'm not trying to give people the shaft and get free work. But a 50%+ price increase without any communication is an issue. I don't pull that **** on my clients, nor do I know where that would be acceptable.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Well, here's how it ended...

I told him I wasn't paying a penny for the gutters until he paid for the trailer. He threatened to sue me. I told him I'd be happy to see him in court. Seven years later, I have a trailer sitting in my yard...

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    So between the call yesterday when it was simple , Father -"Oh? This seems high, why'd it cost quite a bit more than originally estimated", font desk lady - "rata rata rata, machine shop, rata rata rata, valves", they managed to knock off $300 from the bill that wasn't reflected as a discount or a line item adjustment. I'm assuming they either pulled it from the now $400 machine shop or off of labor costs. To me, if that was an honest $300 in there it wouldn't just come off. I'd expect an explanation or a run through on why they thought it was justified, and if push came to shove maybe they'd lower (customer service). Anyways, that's how I read the situation. Bill paid, is what it is.

Also to all the mechanic people in here, I'm not trying to give people the shaft and get free work. But a 50%+ price increase without any communication is an issue. I don't pull that **** on my clients, nor do I know where that would be acceptable.

I believe the biggest issue here was lack of communication on their part, did they find additional things that needed repaired when the heads were removed?? probably, it probably legit needed the additional valve job etc that they did, however doing that without his permission is just ridiculous, i'd be pissed just like you.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix

It's unfortunate these days a hand shake and a man's word is worth less than a square of toilet paper to wipe you crack with. Not to most, but enough.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

I told him I wasn't paying a penny for the gutters until he paid for the trailer. He threatened to sue me. I told him I'd be happy to see him in court. Seven years later, I have a trailer sitting in my yard...

Hey -
    I'll give ya 500 dollars for that old used trailer sittin in your yard. :):

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis

Well, what's the skinny on the trailer? Enclosed? Dimensions? :spend:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    6x14 with 2 foot rails. Sides have expanded steel. 5,500 pound single axle. Frame is 3x3x1/4 angle iron. It's over built for a single axle, but that's what he wanted. The only thing that sucks is he wanted to put a job box on the front so I balanced the axle with that in mind. Without a box, it's light on the tongue if it's empty. I'd have to move the axle or buy a box for it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom