• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    Hey all. Had a chat with my Doc today and was told that you can buy amoxicillin OTC in Mexico, along with other stuff that is script only in the U.S.

She was asking if I wanted a prophylactic script for antibiotic as we are heading to Mexico for a week as a "just in case" type thing if one of us got ill. Then she said that quite a few antibiotics are OTC in Mexico so I would probably be alright.

So question is; any of you have experience in this area and what type of cost they may be? Thinking if I buy some that I don't need to take I can stash them away as preps. What say you?

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    No worries. They aren't less safe than the drugs they pump in us in the good ol USA. Same markings on the antibiotics from what I saw. Don't need a scrip to buy them in country so I don't know why you would need one when they crossed the line. Very reasonably priced if I remember. Not all pharmacies stock so you may have to visit more than one.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    No worries. They aren't less safe than the drugs they pump in us in the good ol USA. Same markings on the antibiotics from what I saw. Don't need a scrip to buy them in country so I don't know why you would need one when they crossed the line. Very reasonably priced if I remember. Not all pharmacies stock so you may have to visit more than one.
    Im going to try to put this in the nicest explanation possible. weed is legal in Colorado but if you cross the Indiana line with it your going to jail. Just because you can drink at 18 in another country, if you cross into the US your gonna get busted for underage drinking. I wouldn't be taking any chances when crossing the border. You may make it safe 100 times but the one time they search your car and find something illegal your life is ruined. Over some pills you'll probably never need? No thanks

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I read recently that an estimated 25% of meds in Mexico are counterfeit.

I'd say more than that... Over in the cruise ship forums this question comes up a lot. If you do, make sure you buy from a reputable source, which is hard to know in Mexico.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I think fish meds would be a safer bet, have them delivered to your door.

Will they make you grow scales? I remember from the book that Willy Wonka's vitamins ran from A to Z, but didn't have vitamin S because it makes you sick or vitamin H because it makes you grow horns! :):

"And it doesn't really matter, anyway, because we'll soon fatten him up again. All we'll have to do is give him a triple dosage of my wonderful Supervitamin Chocolate. Supervitamin Chocolate contains huge amounts of vitamin A and vitamin B. It also contains vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin E, vitamin F, vitamin G, vitamin I, vitamin J, vitamin K, vitamin L, vitamin M, vitamin N, vitamin O, vitamin P, vitamin Q, vitamin R, vitamin T, vitamin U, vitamin V, vitamin W, vitamin X, vitamin Y, and, believe it or not, vitamin Z! The only two vitamins it doesn't have in it are vitamin S, because it makes you sick, and vitamin H, because it makes you grow horns on the top of your head, like a bull. But it does have a very small amount of the rarest and most magical vitamin of them all - vitamin Wonka..

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Under Obamacare, we now get all of our drugs from a Mexican website run by a Croatian pharmacy operating in Guatamala....really cheap drugs but I must say, they do taste a lot like Skittles...

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    If you are going to Mexico, or any other country, you should take a probiotic with you. I was a group leader for O-I service techs for awhile. I sent the techs all over the world. I would tell them about Nutrition Now PB8. It does not have to be refrigerated. A co-worker and I took it when we visited India a couple of times. Our co-workers told us we were the only people to go to India and gain weight. We ate anything and didn't worry about getting sick. Most of the guys that went there would get sick for weeks and come back looking terrible.

The guy I worked for went to Venezuella. I gave him a bottle of PB8. I told him to take it before he left, all week, and a few days after he got back. You can eat something bad and it'll get you a day or two later if you stop taking the PB8 too soon. He did so well that he stopped taking it that Thursday. He got home Friday. When he got up on Saturday he had the runs. He said he ran to the PB8 and took some. He was okay after that.

If you get sick, open four capsules and mix the powder in water/juice. If you take the capsules, they can go through your stomach and the "bugs" in your stomach will continue to have their way with you. If they are vicious little things, you will have to take four capsule several times.

Nutrition Now PB8 costs about half if you order it online.

http://www.vitacost.com/nutrition-now-pb-8-pro-biotic-acidophilus-for-life-120-capsules-2

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    OP, do take a minute and get your doc to give you a script for Lomotil or something similar. It will make your life a lot better if you get the trots, and that's not hard to do when traveling. A preventive script for an antibiotic wouldn't be the worse thing to have if you got food poisoning or some other stomach bug.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I spend on the average 12 weeks a year in Mexico and have been traveling there since 1989.
    As a general rule, you can save about 30 to 40 % buying meds in Mexico if there is no generic available here in the USA. American media loves to bash Mexico for various reasons, but the bottom line is their Medical care, dentistry and meds are as good or better than the USA in most cases. And just wait till Obama Care really kicks in!
    WHat I do is this. A few times a year when at the Doc here, I ask for a precautionary script for Cipro. Cipro is cheap here and is great to treat many things. Including most stomach ailments you may pick up and Anthrax. Hint to our preppers.
    It really gets old hearing people and media slamming Mexico when its much safer than the US. Cheaper to fill a script an Walmart than buying over OTC in Mexico. Good luck and have fun! Where you going in Mexico? If you are going to an all inclusive, PM me so I can try to save you!!!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If we want to talk food poisoning, one of the lessons my dad learned serving in Vietnam is that water purified with iodine (conventional amounts for water purification, no need to add extra) will stop food poisoning when you drink it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If we want to talk food poisoning, one of the lessons my dad learned serving in Vietnam is that water purified with iodine (conventional amounts for water purification, no need to add extra) will stop food poisoning when you drink it.

Where the eff were you in '04 when I could have used that little tidbit. I needed OSHA approved safety straps installed on my toilet for about a week.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Where the eff were you in '04 when I could have used that little tidbit. I needed OSHA approved safety straps installed on my toilet for about a week.

Sorry I wasn't more timely! You did remind me of one time about 15 years ago that this remedy took me from wishing that God would be merciful and let me die to being completely well in 30 or 40 minutes.

Top Bottom