• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sig-sweet

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m going to throw this out here and see what interest there is. I spoke with my County Prosecutor today and asked him if he would be interested in putting on a ‘class’ about guns laws/rights. I mentioned CC and OC’ing, the Castle law and like a shoot don’t shoot according to the laws of the State. He said he wouldn’t be opposed to it as long as it didn’t turn into a witch-hunt. I assured him most people have honest and sincere concerns and questions. He asked if I could get some advanced questions and I told him I didn’t think that would be a problem. Of course there will be questions from the gallery also. I believe he just wanted to know what direction the questions are going to be so he could be more productive. Steve’s a nice guy and will do his utmost to be helpful.

I haven’t got a time or place yet but it will here in Martinsville somewhere. Steve like the rest of us are busy with sports and being the Prosecutor he busy anyway. So if there’s enough interest I’ll work with him and nail down particulars. To be honest he’s just as human as we are, his interpretation of the law may differ from me/you/another lawyer, but his is a more educated opinion. Take that for whatever it’s worth. If the interest isn’t enough to bother, I’ll ask him if maybe I could email him with your questions and go that route. I think a in person face to face is better though.

OK, lets see where this is gonna go………

Mike_M

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Beautiful Milan
    I would love to attend that as well. I'd like to understand some of the factors that the prosecutor uses to determine whether a defensive shooting is justifiable. What tips the scales towards pursuing prosecution???

I'd also like to hear his opinion about talking to officers after a defensive shooting. It is my opinion that even when we think it's easily justifiable, we need to "lawyer up" to ensure we are protected.

Brilliant idea!!!

Mike

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Ok, I'll go first with the question. So you just shot someone in what you believe to be self-defense, What should you do? What should you expect. (as it relates to the law.)
    Give a legal definition of justified shootings. Would also be helpful to hear some real world examples of how different shootings have played out in court. And yes I to would be interested if there was meeting. Sounds like something that would benefit from being on youtube. I'm sure not everyone could make such a meeting.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ok, I'll go first with the question. So you just shot someone in what you believe to be self-defense, What should you do? What should you expect. (as it relates to the law.)
    Give a legal definition of justified shootings. Would also be helpful to hear some real world examples of how different shootings have played out in court. And yes I to would be interested if there was meeting. Sounds like something that would benefit from being on youtube. I'm sure not everyone could make such a meeting.
    To add to the question, how for should you go in giving your report/talking to the police? After watching the google video "Don't Talk to the Police", I don't want to say anything without a lawyer, but I realize that if the police show up and I say that I don't want to say anything, I will likely be cuffed and stuffed (at least for the night) while simply telling what happened may let me walk away without any hassle (no charges etc).

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Talk to jmb79 on the board here: Bryan is a lawyer and wrote THE BOOK to have in regards to Indiana handgun law.

With regards to the prosecutor, I think I would go with Bryan on this, the prosecutor's job is to get us in the slammer if we have a legal shoot, my two cents...

Mike_M

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Beautiful Milan
    I would rather spend a night or two in the slammer immediately after the shooting than risk opening my mouth and giving the law reason to put my butt in the slammer for years. At that point, better to wait for your best friend (your lawyer) to liberate you.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I would rather spend a night or two in the slammer immediately after the shooting than risk opening my mouth and giving the law reason to put my butt in the slammer for years. At that point, better to wait for your best friend (your lawyer) to liberate you.
    I understand that, but in probably 95% or more of true defensive shootings, all it takes is a truthful statement and you're free to walk. Whereas refusing to say a word will put you in the slammer, and cost you legal fees, and you may end up being charged then, and end up with more legal fees. I want the opinion of a prosecutor on what I can say to keep me out of jail, yet not say something stupid that will put me in jail. While I would rather put myself in jail for a night or two over saying something that would put me in for years, I'd still rather say just enough to keep me out of jail in the first place.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I understand that, but in probably 95% or more of true defensive shootings, all it takes is a truthful statement and you're free to walk. Whereas refusing to say a word will put you in the slammer, and cost you legal fees, and you may end up being charged then, and end up with more legal fees. I want the opinion of a prosecutor on what I can say to keep me out of jail, yet not say something stupid that will put me in jail. While I would rather put myself in jail for a night or two over saying something that would put me in for years, I'd still rather say just enough to keep me out of jail in the first place.

Truthful statements by several witnesses, and hopefully you'll walk. When the cops get there, they see you with a gun, and a dead guy. Whose definition of 'just enough' gets used? Who determines whether the LEO has enough info to let you go?

Watch those "Don't talk to cops videos". Those guys are some sneaky b*tards. The one guy put it really well. Miranda says 'anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law', it doesn't say anything about anything you say helping you out.

(off to find those videos and watch them again)

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    I'd like to know more about liability of unsecured weapons in the house. For instance intruder or any visitor finds and fires weapons that are not unloaded and locked up but hidden. Count me in if meeting happens.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I would be very interested in attending a class/seminar like this and I know another person who would definitely go with me. Count me down for 2 if it happens and the time/date works.

I think this is a very good idea.

I would be very interested in a prosecutors perspective on what to expect after the fact, what to say/not say, all of that basic stuff that's been beat to death on here. Also, his views and experience on how training (or lack of training) is viewed if you do end up in court. Also, some real case examples to illustrate the points would be very helpful just to get an idea how different scenarios play out.

I hope you get this going.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Great idea, but I am supprised that he would be willing to say anything in any type of open forum that could be used against him in a court room. :twocents:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I’m going to throw this out here and see what interest there is. I spoke with my County Prosecutor today and asked him if he would be interested in putting on a ‘class’ about guns laws/rights. I mentioned CC and OC’ing, the Castle law and like a shoot don’t shoot according to the laws of the State. He said he wouldn’t be opposed to it as long as it didn’t turn into a witch-hunt. I assured him most people have honest and sincere concerns and questions. He asked if I could get some advanced questions and I told him I didn’t think that would be a problem. Of course there will be questions from the gallery also. I believe he just wanted to know what direction the questions are going to be so he could be more productive. Steve’s a nice guy and will do his utmost to be helpful.

I haven’t got a time or place yet but it will here in Martinsville somewhere. Steve like the rest of us are busy with sports and being the Prosecutor he busy anyway. So if there’s enough interest I’ll work with him and nail down particulars. To be honest he’s just as human as we are, his interpretation of the law may differ from me/you/another lawyer, but his is a more educated opinion. Take that for whatever it’s worth. If the interest isn’t enough to bother, I’ll ask him if maybe I could email him with your questions and go that route. I think a in person face to face is better though.

OK, lets see where this is gonna go………

I'd come to that.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    While I would rather put myself in jail for a night or two over saying something that would put me in for years, I'd still rather say just enough to keep me out of jail in the first place.

My own totally off the cuff opinion, " I felt I was threatened and in danger of harm. I shot to eliminate the threat. I stopped shooting when I felt the threat was eliminated."

Repeat as required.

After the third time I'd repeated it, I'd add, "I want legal representation, my lawyer." To the end of the same mantra.

Top Bottom