"Meh." I'm Not That Impressed by the Knife or Brand That You Think is Awesome.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    [h=2]Meh." I'm Not That Impressed by the Knife or Brand That You Think is Awesome.[/h]

And your beloved Zero Tolerance? What say you now? Are you not impressed?

0cd64e18de229bd1064157716c8d60fb8bed31d53d556f872707f71d47d85d4d.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I continue to be impressed! The blades are a little on the thick side (heh), but overall I really like them. My ZT0560 dismantled a sirloin at Texas Roadhouse earlier today, in fact!

And your beloved Zero Tolerance? What say you now? Are you not impressed?

0cd64e18de229bd1064157716c8d60fb8bed31d53d556f872707f71d47d85d4d.jpg

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    I continue to be impressed! The blades are a little on the thick side (heh), but overall I really like them. My ZT0560 dismantled a sirloin at Texas Roadhouse earlier today, in fact!

My 0560CBCF attacked a sirlon at outback last week. My finger cut the steak better than the knife they gave me to use.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My 0560CBCF attacked a sirlon at outback last week. My finger cut the steak better than the knife they gave me to use.

Indeed! Their knives are okay for spreading butter or teasing the skin away from your baked sweet potato, but that's about it. If I need to cut something, I'll use my own.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Cold Steel
    Cold Steel is basically what the offspring would be if Marvel Comics escaped from an Asian nut house, and had an affair with a science fiction themed circus. You never know what you're going to get here so when deciding on wardrobe, think GENCON. Just to be on the safe side, pack an eye patch and some parachute pants. Spears and sword canes are de rigueur. These knives actually get used. But mostly to unnecessarily cut things that don't need cutting with the gusto of a 70's kung fu flick.

Before the NRA convention I would have thought you were exaggerating. Having seen their NRA display, you describe them perfectly.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Strider Knives
    Strider is similar to the Emerson crowd but no one here actually has the ability beat you up, they will just act like they can. This group constitutes the highest concentration of 300+lb "snipers" and "force recon" individuals ever spotted in the wild. If you find yourself in this crowd, you must remember to never, EVER use the word "use". For any reason. The appropriate verb, the ONLY appropriate verb is "run". As in, "What kind of kit are you runnin?". Kit is also the preferred term for gear of any sort. You must be willing to instantly scratch the eyes out of a fan of another knife company if they mention that one of Strider's owners is a convicted felon who did time in the federal slammer. Rolexes, challenge coins, tattoos and vulgar pvc patches all help you fit in here.

Them there is fighting words....... I got a kick out of this description. I did not see any 300 pound people at the SKI booth just allot of Japanese for some reason.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Note: I"m not a knife guy. I WANT to be a knife guy.

Neither my wife nor my budget will allow me that luxury...

My "Mehs" are: Emerson, Strider, and Randall.

And just about everything sold at Walmart &/or Dick's. (There are a few exceptions, for sure)

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I have to wonder how many of the "Mehs" in this thread are from people that have never even own, carried or used the brand that they don't like. Looking at pictures and jumping on the "brand hater" bandwagon is easy........or is it that people "Meh" certain brands because of the price? :dunno:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have to wonder how many of the "Mehs" in this thread are from people that have never even own, carried or used the brand that they don't like. Looking at pictures and jumping on the "brand hater" bandwagon is easy........or is it that people "Meh" certain brands because of the price? :dunno:

One of my "mehs", Randall is just about looks. I just don't get it. That's all.

Also... I wasn't aware that a Randall is a veritable bargain as compared to a Loveless. Oh my. Still don't like the "look", though.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I saw knives at Blade last year for $20k. Makes a $300 Randall seem like a bargain.

For me the meh factor is price for what you get. Yeah, a Chris Reeve ain't cheap but I think you are getting what you pay for. Same with ESEE, Becker, Benchmade and ZT. However, even though Gerbers are cheaper than the above, I don't think I'm getting my money's worth. I've found that price has little to do with value. A $10 opinel is a good value. A $400 Randall is a good value. A $100 Tops knife is not a good value. Just my opinion, I'm not recruiting any followers.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I saw knives at Blade last year for $20k. Makes a $300 Randall seem like a bargain.

For me the meh factor is price for what you get. Yeah, a Chris Reeve ain't cheap but I think you are getting what you pay for. Same with ESEE, Becker, Benchmade and ZT. However, even though Gerbers are cheaper than the above, I don't think I'm getting my money's worth. I've found that price has little to do with value. A $10 opinel is a good value. A $400 Randall is a good value. A $100 Tops knife is not a good value. Just my opinion, I'm not recruiting any followers.

Similarly: Art for art's sake is also OK with me. There are plenty of high-dollar art knives out there. The "BBQ guns" of the knife world. The stuff that gets purchased to HAVE - not necessarily USE and ABUSE.

I also don't really care what people spend their money on...if they can afford it.

I get the super long wait time for a Randall. And to me, what those command is "ridiculous". But as compared to a Loveless... To ME, they're the "same". Just different name.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I confess that I have never actually owned or used a Strider, but I have handled many that friends have been carrying. They don't do it for me, regardless of the price. I don't like the aesthetics and most of them are too thick for my preference. The Meh stands.

I also confess that I have not owned an Emerson, but I have sharpened several of them for friends and used a few of them for a while. My Meh on Emerson is more of a "I'd take one if you gave it to me, but if I have to pay for it, I'm getting something else" kind of Meh. I'm willing to negotiate my Emerson Meh.

My Busse Meh stands. I only own one (recently), but I've handled, sharpened, and tried to use borrowed examples of their wares since the time when Jerry was making all of them himself. My Meh is influenced heavily by those early knives, which I likened to a semi-sharpened steel 2x4. Currently examples are far more refined, but still not worthy of un-earning my Meh. The Busse Meh stands.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I'm going to add a Meh for Gerber. In addition to their current products (for the most part) not being a good value even at their low price point, what they market today is an insult compared to what they made in Oregon in 1980s, or even in Taiwan with Gerber International. The original Gerber LST was revolutionary in terms of materials and design, and a good value, but they company tanked not too many years after it's introduction. After the Bolt Actions . . . Gerber ... Meh.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Spyderco....Meh

I've owned three
    Domino-nice materials, and construction, opening wasn't very smooth, and it didn't have that built like a tank factor; I moved it on down the road.
    Matriarch 2 Wave - Beautiful blade, ugly cheap looking FRN handle, it sits like new in box waiting to be trade bait.
    Ambitious - Cheap and little, I bought it for a Chicago trip, this is the only Spyderco that I've liked; love the G10 handle, and its built like a little tank, it's a keeper.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I'm going to add a Meh for Gerber. In addition to their current products (for the most part) not being a good value even at their low price point, what they market today is an insult compared to what they made in Oregon in 1980s, or even in Taiwan with Gerber International. The original Gerber LST was revolutionary in terms of materials and design, and a good value, but they company tanked not too many years after it's introduction. After the Bolt Actions . . . Gerber ... Meh.

Pre-Fiskars Gerber's are good knives. I am always looking for those. As for my "meh" list?…....Tony Bose. (Of course I am willing to purchase yours for a reasonable sum, so that you do not have to suffer disappointment).

Top Bottom