• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Just saw on wthr news Melina Kennedy wants to crack down on guns. Here is the link to her press release. I Love democrats, they make it so easy some times. If you buy a gun at the 1500 from a dealer they have to run a background check!

To be fair SOME of it I agree with. I REPEAT SOME, NOT all.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Just saw on wthr news Melina Kennedy wants to crack down on guns. Here is the link to her press release. I Love democrats,they make it so easy some times. If you buy a gun at the 1500 from a dealer they have to run a background check!

To be fair SOME of it I agree with. I REPEAT SOME, NOT all.

Careful, I don't think they're talking about dealers. Here in Colorado, if I buy a gun from another private citizen at a gun show we have to go to a dealer and pay for a background check.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What she is talking about would affect all private sales here in Indiana. Do you have to go through a dealer for a background check if you sell someone a gun and are not at a gun show? If so, this sounds like a dealer sweetheart deal.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    There is good news

I haven't seen the news on this but I would like to point out that the Mayor of Indpls can't just change local laws let alone state laws. Kennedy can be as anti-gun as she wants to be. It may win or lose her some votes but it's just campaign BS. She can't do it and a Democratic Mayor of Indpls will have very limited traction at the State House.

One of the bigger campaign issues is going to be how badly Ballard and Straub have dicked-up the Department of Public Safety. Thanks to this kind of bumbling, Kennedy will probably win. Then not only will Straub be out of a job but the office will probably be eliminated completely.

Remember, Straub was recently given a bipartisan vote of confidence by the City/County Council. Well, the Republicans backed him because they didn't want to publicly admit what a mistake hiring him has turned out to be and the Democrats backed him to make sure he was still around as a target for their candidate's campaign. :twocents:

Sorry about the semi-threadjack.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    What she is talking about would affect all private sales here in Indiana. Do you have to go through a dealer for a background check if you sell someone a gun and are not at a gun show? If so, this sounds like a dealer sweetheart deal.

No, not for private sales outside of gun shows. But if I meet someone at a gun show or in the parking lot, we're legally required to go through the background check.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    No, not for private sales outside of gun shows. But if I meet someone at a gun show or in the parking lot, we're legally required to go through the background check.

What would keep us from leaving the gun show, going down to McDonalds, grabbing some lunch and doing the deal in the parking lot?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    What would keep us from leaving the gun show, going down to McDonalds, grabbing some lunch and doing the deal in the parking lot?

Two things:

1. People don't bring guns to sell to gun shows here all that much, not like Indiana, probably because of this rule.
    2. Undercover ATF and CBI agents.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    This is idiotic.

If her goal is to reduce economic growth, then this is a great idea.

If her goal is public safety, then this is nothing more than posturing.

How many gang members do you see buying pistols at the 1500?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    She's just a front for big law firms that want to turn Indy into chicago south. Huge amounts of money to be made at public expense in that racket. I won't be surprised if they keep Straub and the office, that's just the kind of big money, big city, style that they want. Taxes will go way up in Indy, then spill out into the surrounding counties and state.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    More anti gun BS from Democrats. There is no gun show loophole. That is just code for banning private sales and total gun registration. And she wants to roll back an ordinance allowing guns in parks? Why? Because we keep having permit holders shooting guns off in the parks or because she wants to make sure rapists & robbers know of yet another place where it's safe for them to conduct their business.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Two things:

1. People don't bring guns to sell to gun shows here all that much, not like Indiana, probably because of this rule.
    2. Undercover ATF and CBI agents.

Yes but technically it's not at the gun show. I would think a defense attorney could easily win a case like this. And does the ATF enforce state law there?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Yes but technically it's not at the gun show. I would think a defense attorney could easily win a case like this. And does the ATF enforce state law there?

Okay, perhaps an attorney could win, I don't know. Not my mission in life to spend the money and risk jail to find out. No, the ATF doesn't enforce state law, but as you all are well aware, they show up to gun shows. I assume they work with the Colorado authorities, but I don't know.

So what keeps people from hooking up and going to McDonald's? What keeps anyone following Indiana's silly laws, like needing a permit to take a gun to a range? I think that one should be winnable in court, why don't you try it?

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Okay, perhaps an attorney could win, I don't know. Not my mission in life to spend the money and risk jail to find out. No, the ATF doesn't enforce state law, but as you all are well aware, they show up to gun shows. I assume they work with the Colorado authorities, but I don't know.

So what keeps people from hooking up and going to McDonald's? What keeps anyone following Indiana's silly laws, like needing a permit to take a gun to a range? I think that one should be winnable in court, why don't you try it?

I wasn't trying to criticize, those were honest questions. :dunno: As for the ATF, they should stay the hell out of the state's business, especially when they are assisting the state in ripping the Constitution to shreds.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Careful, I don't think they're talking about dealers. Here in Colorado, if I buy a gun from another private citizen at a gun show we have to go to a dealer and pay for a background check.

If you buy from an individual FTF that you meet, say, on the Colorado equivalent of INGO classifieds (or anywhere away from a gun show), are you still required to have a dealer do a transfer?

Curious.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I wasn't trying to criticize, those were honest questions. :dunno: As for the ATF, they should stay the hell out of the state's business, especially when they are assisting the state in ripping the Constitution to shreds.

I agree that it's crap, but again the point becomes moot because very few people try to sell private guns at gun shows in Colorado compared to Indiana. When I lived in IN, I could go to the 1500 with something to sell and guarantee I was going to sell it within the first half hour. I walked all around a similar sized show in CO when I first got here with two rifles slung over my shoulders and no one even approached me.

If you buy from an individual FTF that you meet, say, on the Colorado equivalent of INGO classifieds (or anywhere away from a gun show), are you still required to have a dealer do a transfer?

Curious.

Nope, private sales are still perfectly legal without a transfer, which is why the rule was always political silliness. But the press has done its job because almost every time this comes up I hear someone talk about the gun show loophole. Almost no one who isn't a gun person knows that you need a background check to buy from a dealer at a gun show, and that here in Colorado you can't buy from an individual at a gun show without a BC.

Also, people ask me about the "unlicensend dealers" of which there are supposed to be so many at a show. They think I'm crazy when I tell them, "Sure, there are plenty of unlicensed dealers at the show. They're just not selling guns."

Top Bottom