• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    This thread https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/185786-another_question_for_military_folks.html reminded me of when I took my ASVAB test in high school. I'll never forget it. My class went into the library and there was a guy decked out in camo and holding what looked to me like an M-16. We all sat down and he came to the front center of the chairs, raised the M-16 and let a volley of blanks rip out right over our heads! He then said "alright! Who wants to be in the Army!"

After our hearing began to return, another camo guy came forward and explained the test to us. He said about three times that when he called "pencils down" that we stop answering and put our pencils down. A buddy and I thought we would be cute and answer every question on the test. When the scores came out, he and I scored in the top 1% in the nation. I learned later that you got so many points for how many questions you answered, regardless if they were right or wrong. The flood of recruiters from every branch began- calls, visits, one Marine recruiter even went to parties with us. It worked! They got most all my friends but me (two to Marines, one to Navy, several to the Army).

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I don't remember what it was called, but I took a test for the Army, and scored so well the recruiter was just about offering to do inappropriate things to get me in there. Might should have gone, but I'd made other plans by then. I drive a farkin school bus now. How the winds change, I tell ya.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    When I was a recruiter, there was nothing like finding a high school senior that tested well enough to be categorized as a high school alpha (HSA). I only had one that refused to ship and that was not a good weekend for me.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I had a 123 GT as a junior. Everybody in my school had it take it. I never had a recruiter call me until after I had already enlisted. I actually had to seek a recruiter out. I asked why I didn't get hounded and the recruiter told me they didn't bother with people over a certain score as most of them wouldn't join.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Kids!

My what a young crowd. Back in the day we had the AFQT general test and then,in my case anyway, the AQB (Army Qualification Battery). These were not given in the schools you had to go either to the induction center or a recruiting office to take them. Of course we also had the draft. :D

PS: I fooled the draft board though. Didn't receive my draft notice until I was in advanced training about six months after I enlisted! Even then the right hand frequently didn't know what was up with the left!

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    95th percentile on ASVAB in 1989. 99th on AFOQT in 1991.

Unfortunately, I had been diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse so I was an automatic DQ when I went to MEPS. Fast forward to 2008, new testing showed no anomalies and the diagnosis was rescinded.

FML

Top Bottom