• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kirch86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Will an OCD diagnosis keep someone from getting their ltch? A friend of mine was never treated and has never taken medication for OCD. He has only been on anti-depressants. Only met with the psychologist 1 time for about 20 minutes. He has called and tried to get the Dr. to remove it from his file and that Dr. is no longer with the practice and everyone over there acts like there is nothing that they can do about it and that it can't be removed. I told him to get a letter from his current Dr. that states that is not a danger to himself or anyone else. He just doesn't want to waste the money if it is only going to get denied. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It seems to me that if your friend has never been judged mentally incompetent in a court of law, committed to a mental treatment facility against his will, or specifically told by a qualified mental health professional that he was a danger to himself and/or others, his state of mind is no ones business but his.
    Just because someone once said, "You're crazy," you are not disqualified from a LTCH.

Doug

kirch86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Good, I just found the faq section on the isp website and emailed the sections that pertain to him. Told him to call the number if he was still unsure. Thanks guys!!

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I'd be interested in hearing how this works out. I have an aquantance with OCD whom I've been encouraging to get LTCH. Wouldn't want to give him false expectations.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Explain to them that it just means he is going to have the cleanest gun at the range. I know friends with OCD and it can be paralyzing but it can also be mild and not as much an issue. They like to call it CDO because they insist on putting the letters in alphabetical order.

schm00g13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    I'm not sure that the State or FBI would have access to your medical records. I mean, how would they even know the name of your personal physician? Just a thought.

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    IMHO, and from how I understand the law, one must have been committed to
    a hospital. That really only happens when police are involved. That would be how
    it gets on your record.

I would definitely do more research, and probly a few phone calls before
    spending 100 bucks or so.

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    A little bit off topic, but what are the rules-laws concerning people getting denied a firearms purchase because of mental health issues ? I am all for the 2nd, but, in my line of work I have come across people who are straight up bat **** crazy. I mean talking like they are god and really believing it. I am not talking about people who are "just" depressed. I am talking truly scary crazy people. People that are so deluded and out of touch with reality that even some of the guys on here (you know who you are :)) would have to be uncomfortable being around these people with them being armed. Anybody have any insight into how that ties in with the checks at time of purchase ?

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    A little bit off topic, but what are the rules-laws concerning people getting denied a firearms purchase because of mental health issues ? I am all for the 2nd, but, in my line of work I have come across people who are straight up bat **** crazy. I mean talking like they are god and really believing it. I am not talking about people who are "just" depressed. I am talking truly scary crazy people. People that are so deluded and out of touch with reality that even some of the guys on here (you know who you are :)) would have to be uncomfortable being around these people with them being armed. Anybody have any insight into how that ties in with the checks at time of purchase ?

BATFE Letter Re: Mental Disqualification - Gun Owners Of America

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    the girlfriend was treated for depression and all she needed was a note from her Dr. saying she wasn't a danger to her self or others and wala 10 days later she got her ltch.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    the girlfriend was treated for depression and all she needed was a note from her Dr. saying she wasn't a danger to her self or others and wala 10 days later she got her ltch.

My girlfriend was treated for depression. She also had to get a LETTER from her physician saying she wasn't a danger to herself or others. After that was done, she was requested by the ISP to also send in a copy of her medical records, which she did, even though she considered that to be slightly over the line of what they needed to know.

And, here we are, it will be one year ago this month that she applied for her LTCH. Three months since the medical records were sent. No answer. I see no reason for this LONG delay. I mean, somebody make a decision, please. :dunno:

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town

Ever check out the crowd at the 1500? Most of them probably have a LTCH.:dunno:

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    My girlfriend was treated for depression. She also had to get a LETTER from her physician saying she wasn't a danger to herself or others. After that was done, she was requested by the ISP to also send in a copy of her medical records, which she did, even though she considered that to be slightly over the line of what they needed to know.

And, here we are, it will be one year ago this month that she applied for her LTCH. Three months since the medical records were sent. No answer. I see no reason for this LONG delay. I mean, somebody make a decision, please. :dunno:
    The length of time it's taken is ?. Could be they lost the paperwork, maybe someone who has guns doesn't agree with her rights and is trying to stop firearm ownership. Who knows but as long as she doesn't fall under the A or B in the disqualification, I don't see what the problem would be. Call ISP and find out what's going on with it. They'll tell you.

Last edited:

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I am all for the 2nd, but, in my line of work I have come across people who are straight up bat **** crazy. I mean talking like they are god and really believing it.
    From my observation, there are a whole bunch of people that act this way (or they're just followers) and acting and talking like the said seems to be normal behavior today. Wanting or doing the right thing is considered insane and ineligable. Doing the wrong thing is rewarding.:dunno::patriot:

Last edited:

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    The length of time it's taken is ?. Could be they lost the paperwork, maybe someone who has guns doesn't agree with her rights and is trying to stop firearm ownership. Who knows but as long as she doesn't fall under the A or B in the disqualification, I don't see what the problem would be. Call ISP and find out what's going on with it. They'll tell you.

Thanks!

It has been a year since her initial filing. I HOPE they haven't lost the paperwork. It was somewhat of a bear to get all together and send. Her physician was reluctant to write the "no risk" letter. She balked at releasing the medical records as well, even though she could not refuse. She wondered since my girlfriend can keep a gun at home, why did she feel the need to carry one?? :xmad: Sounds like an anti-gun head doctor to me.

Sabatoge? I'm beginning to suspect something along those lines.

I'll try to get her to call the ISP.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Interesting topic, this interrelationship of mental illness and firearms ownership and carry.

I personally know one gun owner who forestalled treatment for depression out of fear of compromising her ability to obtain an LTCH. I know someone else who has his LTCH, but who still won't seek appropriate mental health care for fear of jeopardizing his carry license.

There is no clean navigation through these issues of mental illness and firearms ownership / LTCH. Officially, as much -- if not more -- is left unstated on the topic as is stated clearly. The politically charged mechanisms of bureaucracy, law enforcement and the courts are variously relied upon for resolution of "unclear issues" related to LTCH. But it would be easy to feel overwhelmed, intimidated and vulnerable as you watched your very private mental health status and your very cherished gun rights grind through the system.

I have much sympathy and understanding for those who choose to grit their teeth through ongoing mental illness, but who also claim full hold of their second-amendment rights (including their LTCH). At the extremes, undoubtedly, there are those whose mental illness is so profound that it reasonably precludes LTCH (or even firearms ownership). And also, undoubtedly, there are those who were unfairly denied the same because someone reacted more to the perceived stigma of mental illness than to the effective treatment possibilities for it.

It can be devastating to live with untreated mental illness, but it can be the cruelest cut of all to unfairly deprive a citizen of her guns or her lawful ability to defend herself away from home.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I personally know one gun owner who forestalled treatment for depression out of fear of compromising her ability to obtain an LTCH. I know someone else who has his LTCH, but who still won't seek appropriate mental health care for fear of jeopardizing his carry license.

It makes no sense to avoid treatment. The shrink won't "tell on you" unless you are a real danger. So your friends should be fine. Find a good doctor, get an effective treatment program, and go to the range happy.

Now, if you are a real danger (i.e., you might murder innocent people), do you really want to keep your LTCH or your guns?

Da Bing

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Bingley,

I agree with you that it makes no sense to avoid treatment.

But I suspect that the same "clouded" thinking that is often a component of mental illness also makes it difficult for the gun owner to seek treatment with full confidence that there is a firewall between his mental health treatment and his gun ownership rights and LTCH.

Top Bottom