• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I would wager that he is suggesting that the way Germans view their history is a supercharged version of how leftists are trying to get white folks in the USA to feel about their own history.

Uber alles in der veld is not very politically correct.
    White guilt is very politically correct.

And has't been since the end of the Second WW2, despite the anthem pre-dating the conflict. Perhaps it's supercharged, because, unlike the issue you mentioned stateside, there are still a very large amount people that remember, suffered, and fought in that conflict. It has to be quote sobering to know people directly that experienced it. There are constant reminders, in Germany, of the War and it's long lasting effects. It's not something that simply vanishes in a few generations.
    Look at it this way, as victors, we constantly extol the virtues of our Greatest Generation... the War DEFINED them, and us. As the vanquished, Germans are constantly reminded of the evil regime their forefathers participated in. They also, are defined by the conflict.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yessss. When pushed to put up or shut up on the 2% of GDP, she decides that Germany may have to look elsewhere for [STRIKE]someone to foot the bill[/STRIKE] its future security

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I would wager that he is suggesting that the way Germans view their history is a supercharged version of how leftists are trying to get white folks in the USA to feel about their own history.

Uber alles in der veld is not very politically correct. White guilt is very politically correct.

Somebody gets it. :)

"White guilt?" What in the hell are you talking about?

:chillpill: Take as needed for hyperventilation.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I certainly understand the invective about how America subsidizes other countries. I share some of it.

At the same time, I also recall a different trope. Something something hanging together something hanging separately.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I got to hear a few minutes of Rush today. He said she sounds like a kid whose parents have told to support himself instead of living off them any longer.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Y'all do realize she's talking about more than just money, right?

Right?

Germany's economy (GDP) is projected to be #4 (behind the US, China, and Japan). With the exit of the UK (#5), Germany is basically supporting the EU, economically.

Now, they've built that economy with the help of a subsidized military system (NATO). But, Merkel's comments go beyond that. They can modify the budgets to maintain their military (money's fungible, so it'll really be a test for the partial-socialization culture that Europe adopted). Their lack of reliance on us is more about a fundamental shift away from an American hegemony.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I'd tell the old bag to learn Russian, but she already knows it.

Then again, she should probably learn Arabic.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    So I take it everyone is all for our American military presence to leave Germany?
    ?? I thought the discussion was about telling Merkel where to get off, for complaining about Germany having to pay it's share of NATO dues?

But since you asked, if it wasn't for putin behaving a little like a certain german back in 1938 threatening and annexing parts of other countries, I might consider it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I certainly understand the invective about how America subsidizes other countries. I share some of it.

At the same time, I also recall a different trope. Something something hanging together something hanging separately.

You sir, have a filthy mind.

Or maybe I do.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So I take it everyone is all for our American military presence to leave Germany?

Well, we're not there specifically for the aid of Germany. It IS a strategic location in the interest of the United States. I suppose there could be at least a little protective quid pro quo. Not to the point where they spend less than 1% of their GDP for their own protection though. I think they should be prepared to protect themselves. Maybe the world changes where the strategic value of having bases there is less than the cost of protecting Germany.

Top Bottom