• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topher Durden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    I have a sig sauer Mosquito that I purchased to send many rounds down range more economically that my .40 cal. I settled on the mosquito due to its similar shooting platform compared to other semi-automatic handguns. i am shooting about 1000-1500 rounds a week with regular cleanings every 500 rounds or less.
    After breaking the gun in (2000 rounds) with cci mini mags, I started testing other, less expensive ammo. I tried the Remington 22 Thunderbolt among others. I will not use the thunderbolt on my Mosquito due to the gun firing bullets that appeared to strike the target sideways and way off aim after shooting 300 rounds. When i went home to clean the gun i couldn't get any tools through the barrel. After a large amount of force( and probably poor decision making) I was able to get my brush through the barrel. What came out on the other side what a lining of metal that had coated and molded to the inside of the barrel. It was one piece about 1 inch long. Once it:dunno: was removed cleaning was a breeze but I had no clue how this could have happened. I was under the impression that when a firearm was fired the barrel would just get coated with burnt powder. The gun fires fine now but I want to know why this happened, if this is normal,...any thoughts would be really helpful.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    You will always have some sort of buildup in the barrel. the bullets are moving VERY fast and the rifling is putting a spin on them so some metal is going to be left behind. typically i dont clean this out until accuracy starts to degrade.

second w/ lead bullets the heat from be powder burning can cause a little bit of extra lead fouling besides just the normal amount. Dont know if this is a HUGE deal in rimfires or not, but on some of the hotter center fires its a concern.

nothing to worry about everything is normal. just keep shooting.

Topher Durden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    Thanks for the info! i can't tell you how much of a relief it is to hear that. Accuracy had deteriorated to the point that the holes in the paper were the shape of a bullet striking the paper sideways. I knew something wasn't right. I had actually broken my cleaning rod off at the handle trying to get it through the barrel. i was able to finish but i thought i may have just rouined my 3 week old handgun.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    I was told a while back that if you are shooting back and forth between lead and jacketed that the heat can cause the copper to have a soldering affect with the lead in your barrel. "Wipeout" is a great copper solvent that will remove it.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    hoppe's also makes a special solvent I believe....although I've never had a build up issues I practice the solvent cleaning with a copper brush after each shoot....copper is a softer metal so it doesn't really do any significant damage to the barrel but it does break free other soft metals when combined with the solvent...keeping you build up free

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Shooting that volume of ammo is going to leave some leading behind. You can reduce it by shooting the plated style of ammo instead of the lead waxed type. Remington Gold are a type of plated bullet that comes to mind,there are many others.

I have this same issue with my Ruger MKII, what I do is when things build up I remove the barrel (not sure how the mosquito goes together) and put it into cut off contact lens solution bottle that I fill with Hoppe's No 9. Let it soak overnight and everything comes out with the first stroke of the brush. I just reuse the Hoppe's over and over for just this soaking. Works great and is a no real work involved solution.

Topher Durden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    All of this info is a great help! I really appreciate the solutions offered up. I am using the Remington Gold now and it seems to shoot pretty well. Unfortunately, Sig's do not have barrels that are seperate from the body of the gun, so soaking is out of the question, but a great idea for my other firearms, so thanks for the heads up!

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Topher - I missed your "welcome" thread, so let me say "Welcome" and good to see you here. I'm pretty sure you're the one that I met at Eagle Creek Pistol Range and i was telling you about the reloading section on these boards.

Good to see that you found your way here. I'm sure you'll find it worthwhile.

Billcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Pike County
    I think you need more frequent cleaning of the barrel. I would use a good bore cleaner like Hoppies, then after the bore is clean polish it with JB bore paste, this stuff is great for smoothing up a barrel and reduces lead fouling.
    Bill...

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I think you need more frequent cleaning of the barrel. I would use a good bore cleaner like Hoppies, then after the bore is clean polish it with JB bore paste, this stuff is great for smoothing up a barrel and reduces lead fouling.
    Bill...

after what appears to be over 3500 rounds through the gun, lapping the bore is not going to do anything but contribute to excessive wear and tear.

Billcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Pike County
    after what appears to be over 3500 rounds through the gun, lapping the bore is not going to do anything but contribute to excessive wear and tear.
    JB bore paste is not an agressive compound, like lapping compound, It will remove the last traces of lead, then if you clean after every shooting session, leading will not be a problem.
    Bill...

Top Bottom