• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    We are going to have our roof replaced due to storm damage, and my wife asked about metal. We like the look, etc., but are curious about the initial cost. I have searched, and it seems that it's either "about the same" or "at least double," depending on where you're getting the info. We would probably go for the standing rib, hidden/snap lock type. Any pricing info would be greatly appreciated. It's an "L" style ranch, if that matters.

Also, for those that have them, pros/cons? Would you do it again? Do they ding as bad as asphalt with hail? Any other opinions are greatly appreciated.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I tried to get a quote when I replaced my roof a couple of years ago and couldn't get anyone to come out. Apparently they are too busy.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Our church is needing a new roof and the quotes I saw indicted about 2x shingles.

Keep in mind, they tell you its a 50 year roof, but that paint starts to ugly out a lot sooner than that. Look at homes that have had them for awhile.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Are the higher costs quoted above for metal roofing for materials only, or the materials + labor?

The reason I ask is because I've "heard" that while the metal roofing material is more expensive, it takes less labor to install, while shingles are cheaper, but more labor intensive to install, thus balancing out to some degree.

Again, just what I've heard. Don't know what the actual facts are, but am interested since we're also going to need a new roof in a year or 2.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Metal standing seam is about 2-2.5X the cost of shingles. Barn metal is about 2x, maybe a little less if done improperly. The thing to keep in mind is there can be a lot of additional work on certain homes just to properly prepare it for metal, in your case it don't sound like you would have this issue.

A metal roof gets beat up as bad or worse than shingles. The thing is, a shingle roof gets hail damage and it don't leak(unless large hail busts vents or valleys) where exposed fastener metal can leak with hail damage.....standing seam not so much, but it will still destroy them. We have been replacing shingles and metal for hail damage this year, and it was the same hail storm.

One other thing.....check with your insurance company before installing metal. I have been hearing rumblings that some insurance companies are raising premiums and deductibles on metal roofs. When I ask why, they tell me it is because firemen can't get on them easily to cut holes and fight fires. I don't know for a fact, but may be worth checking into.

Edit: 2 - 2.5X is materials and labor.

jfw46544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hot Springs Village, AR
    I had a metal roof install on my home 2 years ago. Looks good, insurance went down slightly and paid the same or less than some estimates on shingles. Estimates all over the board on both metal and shingles. Shop around.

We we went with a standing seam. The brought the roller and bent all of the metal on the spot.

wabashman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Might want to look into the Decra stylemetal roofing. Looks just like traditional shingles, yet is metal.

Plus you don't have to worry about it color fading, or leaking. Plus being on a ranch style house would be super easy for install.

Runt1122

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Fulton County
    I had a metal roof install on my home 2 years ago. Looks good, insurance went down slightly and paid the same or less than some estimates on shingles. Estimates all over the board on both metal and shingles. Shop around.

We we went with a standing seam. The brought the roller and bent all of the metal on the spot.

Who did you use in northern Indiana?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Around me metal roofs are gaining in popularity, it seems like maybe 25 percent of new roofs are getting them. A couple of people have told me that their premiums went down due to reduced fear of lightning strikes. Id like to hear about increased noise levels of anyone who has switched from shingles to metal. I have exposed laminated beams and it gets rather loud with heavy rains now.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    we bought factory seconds for our garage roof it was about the same as shingles. the color is what made it a second. Im not able to tell a difference but i guess there is one. I absolutely love it and as mentioned it lowered our insurance.

jfw46544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hot Springs Village, AR
    Around me metal roofs are gaining in popularity, it seems like maybe 25 percent of new roofs are getting them. A couple of people have told me that their premiums went down due to reduced fear of lightning strikes. Id like to hear about increased noise levels of anyone who has switched from shingles to metal. I have exposed laminated beams and it gets rather loud with heavy rains now.

We can not heard any difference. There is a layer of insulation that gets installed between the old roof and new which absorbs the sound. Also helps on the heating and cooling.

Metal roofs are loud on the inside when they are open from the inside such as a pole barn with no insulation. With the insulation under the roof in the house, it has a backing so you don't get the empty oil drum sound. We may even have less noise than before.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Was thinking metal myself,but all premium shingle mfg. are now giving a 50 year/lifetime warranty,and with the cost of metal being at 2x,I again will probably stay with asphalt.I will still give that Heartland a call.Those Amo/ Mennonites in south Elkhart county have been using metal on homes for the last 25 years or so.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Might want to look into the Decra stylemetal roofing. Looks just like traditional shingles, yet is metal.

Plus you don't have to worry about it color fading, or leaking. Plus being on a ranch style house would be super easy for install.

And costs 4-5X the cost of shingles. I just bid a Decra job, 50 square house, $50,000+! It was an insurance job and the hail destroyed it. In fact, all the work at this home was metal and the claim was in excess of $250,000 for barns and house. The problem with Decra is you have to have certified installers do the work, and there are very few in Indiana who are certified for Decra.

On a similar note though, Ted Lansing just started selling a new roof shingle that looks like Decra but is made of some sort of hard plastic. Not sure of the cost but I have seen the hail tests....and it is the most promising hail proof system I have seen in 30 years of roofing.

Prices are all over the place because unless you have a specific spec list every contractor could bid different product. For instance you can get very thin, pro rib metal for $70 per square or you can get standing seam, heavy gauge that is made for a home/commercial application for $250-300 per square. Then there is some contractors who will put metal over existing roof(which I would never recommend) and other refuse to overlay shingles with metal....and some insist on tearing off the old shingles, installing 2x4's and 1 1/2" foam then metal. The same thing with shingles. Some guys will bid Owens Corning Durations others will bid IKO Marathon....some bid Grace ice & water on all eaves and some may bid no ice and water at all. Not to mention some contractors have huge overheads such as 22% W/C on employees, insurance, SS to match, buildings, vehicles, inventory....and some of us are just small operations with very little overhead expenses. Overhead alone can be a 25-35% difference.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Reverend Dreed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    new hope
    when installing a metal roof finding the right installer is extremely important, especially is using standing seam metal. I work for a store that sells both shingles and metal roofing, price wise the are very similar, but the installers prices vary greatly. This is one time when paying a little more is beneficial, the guys who work cheap know what their labor is worth. Make sure your installer uses number 1 metal the warranty and paint is much better and on a typical 25 square roof the cost should only be about 125 bucks higher. My house needs a roof and I will be going with metal and a very reputable installer.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I bought metal from Davies county metal over 12 years ago. Best roof I've ever put on. Still looks good. YOu have to make sure people walk on it with clean shoes if you need on it.

No disadvantages that I can identify. And I laugh at storms.

Hickory

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    Gibson county
    Put my metal roof on in 1994. Still looks great. Installed over old roofing on slats. Have to open the door to hear it rain, very quiet. Shingles are not made from same materials as they were years ago and they don't hold up well around here. Those 50 year warranties are a joke, most roofing companies don't last anywhere near that long. Close business under old name and open under a new name, no more warranty. YMMV
    Hickory

wabashman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    I
    And costs 4-5X the cost of shingles. I just bid a Decra job, 50 square house, $50,000+! It was an insurance job and the hail destroyed it. In fact, all the work at this home was metal and the claim was in excess of $250,000 for barns and house. The problem with Decra is you have to have certified installers do the work, and there are very few in Indiana who are certified for Decra.

I beg to differ on needing a certified installer as I'm not certified and managed to install it easily enough. also cost no where near 50k to do my house, garage, and 3/4 wrap around porch. Albeit, my house isn't 50 square. mine is roughly 28 sqaure. Even then, it wasn't close to 25k.

Going by current costs, decra for 28 square is around 5100$, not including starter strip, rake flashing, ridge shingles. Figure the rest comes to another 1000$ at most. i have a hard to believing that is 5x asphalt shingle price.

Top Bottom