• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    field striped my pt145 today to clean and oil and noticed small (very very small) metal shavings is this something that is normal or should i call taurus?? i have also had some issues with field striping as sometimes the slide is really really hard to pull off.
    (that is my take down pin and the metal shaving is just to the left of it
    DSC00762.jpg

DSC00770.jpg

DSC00774.jpg

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    'Kay. I was going to say if it's brand new, it's not unusual for a Taurus to be full of crap.

From the pics, looks like there is some unusual wear on the frame's slide rail above the take down lever. I'd give Taurus a call.

Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I guess I would look at the piece you found and determine if it is steel from the pistol, or a shaving of brass or lead from a round that maybe hung a little as it was being loaded. I have an older 22 that I occasionally find very small pieces of lead that have been shaved off when the slide chambers a round from the mag.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Ultimately, you should have a gunmith check it out. Not too much can be determined from a picture and written description.

If it is still functioning fine and there isn't any conspicous damage to be found, I would say you may alright and I would keep a close watch on it. Look at all the components closely and see if you can find a source. It may just be chips left from being manufactured and are now just falling out now. But like I said, take it to a gunsmith to be safe.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    ok i think i got it figured out took it to a "gun smith" and apparently the keyed slide lock (not sure of the technical name that taurus calls it) had some lint/dirt built up in it which was pushing it out enough to rub. so with some scrubber i think we have it all fixed up

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Grease Grease Grease. Keep those rails greased, light grease coat on the barrel, little light oil on the action, (some recommend grease there too) and when you strip it, super duper clean it before greasing and reassembly. Your wear spots will show up as shiny. Going to the 'smith was a good idea.

Top Bottom