• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My new to me military generator has a frequency gauge on it. I haven't ran it under load yet but the needle never makes it quite to 60 without a load at idle or full speed. I've got a nice fluke meter and I'm not sure how to check the output frequency to verify the gauge accuracy. Anyone know how?

e09836bf.jpg

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What model Fluke? Every meter that I've had that can measure frequency in that range it was a simple matter to select the Hz setting and put the probes on the source.

I have a 177 at work. Once I got there this morning, I tried it out. I found a manual for a fluke online. It said to put the leads on, turn it to ac volts and then push the frequency button. It worked on my meter. I've never needed to do it before. I'll take it home tonight and try it on the genset. It looks like there's a calibration screw on the gauge so I'll try to tweak it in.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Smaller generators can be relatively unstable without a load on them. I've never had to calibrate one before but "ASSUME" that the most accurate adjustments would be made to it with it near full load??!!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Generally, if it is running in the range of 57-62 Hz it will not cause much harm to anything other than your clocks times will be off (faster or slower).

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    If your frequency is within +/- 5% (3Hz) you should be good to go. The lower you go the warmer any transformers will run, but it shouldn't be a big deal. We had rooms full of equipment running off alternators at work for years with frequencies that would vary that much depending on the load. Never had any problems.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Well, I got my transfer wired in tonight. I got it all hooked up, turned on the barn lights and the ammeter never budged. It finally donned on me that I never threw the transfer switch. It ran about 70% load with the 8000 watts of lights. I need to get ahold of an amprobe to calibrate the ammeter. I was able to run the generator at a good bit lower rpm than I expected due to the hz meter not being accurate. I hooked my meter up to it and dialed it to 60 at 50% load. It only varies about 1 hz through the load range. It's going to be a nice machine.

Top Bottom