• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    At least according to the LARGE sign saying so on the Capitol St. entrance.

Noticed it tonight for the first time...and (fortunately or unfortunately) I've been in and out of that entrance a LOT over the last 4.5 years...

However, I'm almost positive that there's not a secure unit/wing at Methodist; so no legal ramifications based only on carrying.

-J-

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I would guess that Methodist Hospital's insurance carriers don't like guns. (and most of the employees are probably terrified of guns) Fortunately I don't like hospitals and avoid them at all costs.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    At least according to the LARGE sign saying so on the Capitol St. entrance.

Noticed it tonight for the first time...and (fortunately or unfortunately) I've been in and out of that entrance a LOT over the last 4.5 years...

However, I'm almost positive that there's not a secure unit/wing at Methodist; so no legal ramifications based only on carrying.

-J-
    They are "owned" by IU, now .....

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Was taken to Methodist last year from a bad slip and fall where my head hit the sidewalk like a large pumpkin exploding. While in the emergency room as the nurses were stripping my clothes off I mentioned the keltec in pants pocket and asked them not to get all excited about it cause I had a really bad headache at that moment. :)

The older nurse assured me that she was a shooter and hung out with guns of all kinds all the time and my little gun wouldn't scare her.

The security guard came and took it, and when I went home later that night I swung by the office and picked it up. They took all the bullets out of the mag for me, I guess out of the kindness of their heart.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Trauma centers tend to not like weapons. I saw two large knives on patients yesterday at our place. Nice guys though.

Does IU "own" Methodist or is it a strategic partnership?

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Several years ago I noticed such a sign while I wandered about for the duration of a relative's heart catherization. I had been in Methodist several hours and was carrying an MK9 concealed when I first noticed it. I just went about my business.........

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Does IU "own" Methodist or is it a strategic partnership?
    Actually back in 1997 or so, Clarian Health was formed when Methodist merged with IU Hospital and Riley Hospital. IU School has nothing to do with this other than their doctors work there. Clarian Changed their name recently to "IU Health" for name recognition even though they have nothing to do with IU. They are a HUGE medical monopoly with hospitals in several counties and countless clinics. Just look at this list of locations:
    http://iuhealth.org/locations/

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Not to jack the thread ,what is the policy at St Vencent hospital on the N ,of Indy. side I will be their with my wife for about 4-8 weeks .My wife has 2 broken legs.

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    I had a paramedic tell me that guns get discharged in the ER quite often, how often he meant I'm not sure, he's on INGO maybe he will chime in. Anyway, add that to the fact that most people in the medical community judge guns by seeing the aftermath (while getting no story to go with it) and generally they are terrified of guns, as another poster mentioned.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    They are a HUGE medical monopoly with hospitals in several counties and countless clinics. Just look at this list of locations:
    Locations | IU Health

that's what I thought, so it's not a state-owned kinda thing so really not an issue from a legality standpoint. I don't believe they have a 24-hr lockup, esp so close to Wishard that does.

Wishard's jail section is really a cool setup. the ED part is scary but the main prison portion is a unique experience. I highly recommend getting arrested, going to jail, then shoving a pen up your penis, getting a nasty infection, then being admitted to Wishard so you too can experience it. At least for a day.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not Carmel the St Vencents on 86 st in Indy.

No idea. Ive been to one in Carmel a million times, and have never seen a sign, which since joining here, I have been very conscious of(and I'm not talking about ignoring one).

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Methodist does have a secure unit, maybe not in the way you are describing (incarceration and hospitalized) but there is a mental health unit that is secured and does have extra security levels.

Methodist has had no weapons signs up for several years, nothing new. If you are seen by staff possessing a weapon (not just fire arms) and are reported to security, you will be asked to either remove it or yourself from the property.

MRTOOSE

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Putnam Co
    I went to visit my mom when she was in St Vincent hospital and they had a sign that prohibited firearms .. that was a couple ofyears ago. I would doubt that they have changed their policy .

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Methodist does have a secure unit, maybe not in the way you are describing (incarceration and hospitalized) but there is a mental health unit that is secured and does have extra security levels.

Methodist has had no weapons signs up for several years, nothing new. If you are seen by staff possessing a weapon (not just fire arms) and are reported to security, you will be asked to either remove it or yourself from the property.

Wonder if it's enough for Methodist to be a verboten location according to the new law? :n00b:

The signs on the doors went so far as to say that the prohibition covers everyone except on-duty LEO and IU Health security personnel. They don't even want off duty LEO to carry whilst on property... Ain't that nice of 'em.

Good news is: my dad should be discharged today at some point.

-J-

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've seen signs at Methodist (downtown), the Clarion out in Avon, and up at St. Vincent (86th Street).

Wonder if it's enough for Methodist to be a verboten location according to the new law?
    Is it a "secure correctional health facility"?

IC 35-47-11.1-4
    Exceptions
    Sec. 4. This chapter may not be construed to prevent any of the following:
    (7) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting or restricting the possession of a firearm in a public hospital corporation that contains a secure correctional health unit that is staffed by a law enforcement officer twenty-four (24) hours a day.

Or a county/municiple hospital?
    (11) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting

or restricting the possession of a firearm in a hospital established and operated under IC 16-22-2 or IC 16-23.

These can all still have rules against carrying on their property.

weaverml34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    It's a safe bet that any hospital you walk into has a no guns policy. Signs may not be posted but it will be in their policy manual somewhere.

I found out Saturday night at the Big 10 championship game that rocket launchers are not allowed at Lucas Oil Stadium. Whooda thunk it?

Top Bottom