• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XDMJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Fishers
    Having changed jobs recently, I'm still trying to re-adjust to carrying concealed at work. My employer does not (at least at this point) even try to have a firearms policy, so I appreciate the knowledge that I'm not even flirting with breaking any company policies. But practically speaking, I still want to carry concealed so as to not disrupt the office.

I work at a software company, so I'm in a chair at my desk nearly all day long. (It is in fact a nice chair, but one with a mesh-type back, so carrying SOB is actually one of the least doable methods here, because it prints through the chair very apparently.) I generally carry IWB (about 4:00), but that doesn't always seem to work with the general fashion styles around here (not that I care about fashion, but in a young, relatively trendy office, I don't want to stick out as the guy who wears Hawaiian shirts every day to conceal more easily).

So my basic question is one that hopefully can help many people beyond myself: What is your preferred method of carrying concealed at work? Please provide some level of detail around the type of place you work too so we can better understand just how your carry method fits in. (And as much as this is not socially acceptable to talk about, I feel we also have to factor in things such as going to the bathroom [you know, #2] while at work and the best ways to remain concealed.)

FWIW: I'm about 5'10" and 195 lbs (so it could help a bit for me to just lose some weight), and I typically carry an XD45 Compact in a Crossbreed Supertuck at 4:00 IWB, or occasionally a Kahr CW9 in a High Noon Split Decision in SOB.

Last edited:

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I don't carry at work here, but I have at other jobs. When I did, it was always pocket carry; either a small revolver or P32. In a place where you can't be found out, I think pocket (front or rear) is usually the best solution.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Well...I don't get the lingo here yet...so I have no idea what a SOB or a IWB is...but when I carry at work it is in an ankle holster. No one knows. I'm not carrying a .45 though...a much smaller compact 9mm in most cases.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    get yourself some of the safari shirts from meijer, they're like 12 bucks a piece and if you go one size up from what you normally wear they'll cover anything up without looking ridiculously big on you. They don't even look that bad, 2 button pockets in the front, and buttons on the sleeves for roll up.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Are we twins? Kidding... I also work at a software company, and we have those same mesh-backed chairs (coincidence?). It is a fairly informal office (jeans and polos). Some of the developers wear shorts and t-shirts, but I can't dress down that far!

XD40SC in a SuperTuck canted forward a few degrees at about 4:00. Untucked, loose shirt. Winter makes it easy with sweaters. If I have to dress up a bit, then either a sport coat or a vest over a button-down shirt. Every shirt I own is pretty heavy material, and usually textured/printed or dark colored. If you can set up your desk/cubicle so that the strong-side is away from the entrance, you may feel less exposed.

I have a bunch of clingy (read: trendy) shirts that I simply can't wear while CC-ing. I save those for OC (outside of the office) days.

adventures47129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Clarksville
    I carry all the time and everywhere in all types of clothing. I prefer to conceal. I use a "SuperTuck" most of the time and am always being told then no one can see it or notice it. It can be worn with shirts loose, out, tucked, or what have you. I am 5'7" and about 190. I carry a CW9. I do also use sweaters, vests, jackets, and sweatshirts like everyone else if I do not want to IWB. Good luck with the new job.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    I work at a software company, so I'm in a chair at my desk nearly all day long.

Shoulder holster: Don't HAVE to wear a coat to cover it. Wear a thin t-shirt under it, and a thicker shirt/sweater/sweatshirt over it.

Ankle carry

Pocket carry

IWB

Using these four options would allow to to wear different kinds of clothes everyday.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I wear a 511 Tactical holster shirt. I wear it under a button down shirt. With a lot of patience from my wife, I trained several times ripping the shirt open and drawing the firearm. She was really good about sewing the buttons back on. The great thing is you can draw from a sitting position. I even practiced fake chest pains to gain access to the weapon.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    I wear a 511 Tactical holster shirt. I wear it under a button down shirt. With a lot of patience from my wife, I trained several times ripping the shirt open and drawing the firearm. She was really good about sewing the buttons back on. The great thing is you can draw from a sitting position. I even practiced fake chest pains to gain access to the weapon.

Another option is velcro "buttons", and then sew real buttons where the button holes are so it looks like a normal button down shirt.

XDMJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Fishers
    Are we twins? Kidding... I also work at a software company, and we have those same mesh-backed chairs (coincidence?). It is a fairly informal office (jeans and polos). Some of the developers wear shorts and t-shirts, but I can't dress down that far!

XD40SC in a SuperTuck canted forward a few degrees at about 4:00. Untucked, loose shirt. Winter makes it easy with sweaters. If I have to dress up a bit, then either a sport coat or a vest over a button-down shirt. Every shirt I own is pretty heavy material, and usually textured/printed or dark colored. If you can set up your desk/cubicle so that the strong-side is away from the entrance, you may feel less exposed.

I have a bunch of clingy (read: trendy) shirts that I simply can't wear while CC-ing. I save those for OC (outside of the office) days.

Wow yep similar office I bet!

The textured/dark colored suggestion is a good one for sure. I think I just need to start slowly replacing some of my older (and thus smaller) and trendier (also thus smaller, haha) apparel. We rarely have to dress up, which is actually kinda unfortunate (sport coat at church over OWB holster is my favorite for sure!). And lastly, I unfortunately don't even have a cubicle -- more of a half a 6-foot folding table, at the moment. Ha yep, seriously -- my team is in some temporary space right now, and from a security standpoint, I sure don't love it. C'est la vie I suppose.

Just out of curiosity, eldirector, what gun do you carry?

XDMJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Fishers
    Another option is velcro "buttons", and then sew real buttons where the button holes are so it looks like a normal button down shirt.
    I like this idea for sure. I do have a 5.11 tactical undershirt, and it's pretty good, but it just can't conceal even my 9mm very well (wants to print either out the front or out the back). Maybe my "overshirts" are still just a bit too tight, so I should look at that again.

I have not yet tried practicing ripping open the shirt (if I don't go with velcro) -- perhaps I should do that! (um, after I check with my wife too, haha)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Just out of curiosity, eldirector, what gun do you carry?

Springfield XD sub-compact in .40 caliber. It is a bit thick, so I'm looking at single-stack .40's for a future upgrade. It still conceals pretty well. I have a Supertuck that currently uses the normal belt clips. I also have the velcro "clips" and wear a velcro-backed belt. With the velcro, there is no indication of a holster at all. I didn't think the velcro held the holster well enough, so I just use the belt clips.

Looser clothing is your friend. These trendy "skinny" pants and tight shirts aren't my style anyway! I've slowly added CCW-friendly clothes (shirts and pants) to my wardrobe over the last year or so. It helps to carry when you shop, so you can try it out.

I don't dig my cube location at work either. First cube from the main door! The doors are key-fob locked, at least.

XDMJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Fishers
    Springfield XD sub-compact in .40 caliber. It is a bit thick, so I'm looking at single-stack .40's for a future upgrade. It still conceals pretty well. I have a Supertuck that currently uses the normal belt clips. I also have the velcro "clips" and wear a velcro-backed belt. With the velcro, there is no indication of a holster at all. I didn't think the velcro held the holster well enough, so I just use the belt clips.

Looser clothing is your friend. These trendy "skinny" pants and tight shirts aren't my style anyway! I've slowly added CCW-friendly clothes (shirts and pants) to my wardrobe over the last year or so. It helps to carry when you shop, so you can try it out.

I don't dig my cube location at work either. First cube from the main door! The doors are key-fob locked, at least.
    Cool. And sorry about that, as soon as I read your 2nd response, I remembered you had said XD40SC. I like the carry-while-you-shop idea -- I've normally eschewed carrying while I shop for clothes just for the obvious risk/hassle of taking it off and on, off and on, etc., but it probably is a really good idea when thoughts of that way.

Top Bottom