• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    A new Bill passed the republican led Senate and on to the republican led House will allow carry in what were previously gun free zones like schools and churches (with additional training and shooting experience, not sure of the details yet though).

MLive.com: Ann Arbor : Changes to Michigan concealed handgun law approved by state Senate

• Concealed carry permit holders who get additional, enhanced training beyond basic requirements and spend more time at the gun range would be allowed to carry concealed in so-called “gun free” zones such as schools and churches. The pistol-free zones would remain in effect for others. “Open carry” in those zones would be prohibited.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    Interesting. I've never heard of someone coming up with a tiered licensing process before. I'm sure there will be a bunch of "it's my right to carry there anyways, so this is wrong" - and theoretically I would have to agree with that. Of course, when it comes to public perception, requiring that "training" probably makes it look more palatable to the anti-gun people, and probably makes it more likely to pass.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Interesting. I've never heard of someone coming up with a tiered licensing process before. I'm sure there will be a bunch of "it's my right to carry there anyways, so this is wrong" - and theoretically I would have to agree with that. Of course, when it comes to public perception, requiring that "training" probably makes it look more palatable to the anti-gun people, and probably makes it more likely to pass.

I'm sure you're right about public perception. MI has always had a training requirement so perhaps it will just be a modified course you have to take for the extra 'endorsement'. When I taught them in MI I always went above and beyond the requirements anyway for students, it will be interesting to see what the additional criteria are (or I suppose we could find the Bill and check it out).

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    As a school teacher, I wish there was a way that I could store EDC in my car while at work. I would be more than happy to take a course for the opportunity. I get what they are trying to do with the gun free zone in thisncase, but in all likeliness the only affect is that I am going to have hussle home first before FNS

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    As a school teacher, I wish there was a way that I could store EDC in my car while at work. I would be more than happy to take a course for the opportunity. I get what they are trying to do with the gun free zone in thisncase, but in all likeliness the only affect is that I am going to have hussle home first before FNS

If MI of all places can do this there's no reason that IN can't get rid of our gun free zones as well.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If MI of all places can do this there's no reason that IN can't get rid of our gun free zones as well.

There's "preemption" in MI as well, right? (And has been for longer than in IN, if I remember?)

So... places like Pontiac, Flint, Detroit, Benton Harbor, etc - couldn't keep/make their own versions of the law that would still keep these GFZs in force?

I think we should also all note that either WA or OR already "allows" its permit/license holders on school property.

-J-

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

As a parent, I wish there was a way you could carry your weapon while at WORK.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    As someone who grew up in Michigan, the other thing that should really be eliminated is handgun registration. The whole system cost a lot to run, and there's ZERO benefit.

So, I wonder how this would affect an IN LTCH holder since we have no tiered license system. If I can show my certificates from Thunder Ranch, ACT, or whomever, then is that good enough?

They should just eliminate those so-called gun free zones all together instead of create more unnecessary complications. How do either of those places differ from Wal-Mart for example?

Glad to see that "schools" are on the table.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    As someone who grew up in Michigan, the other thing that should really be eliminated is handgun registration. The whole system cost a lot to run, and there's ZERO benefit.

So, I wonder how this would affect an IN LTCH holder since we have no tiered license system. If I can show my certificates from Thunder Ranch, ACT, or whomever, then is that good enough?

They should just eliminate those so-called gun free zones all together instead of create more unnecessary complications. How do either of those places differ from Wal-Mart for example?

Glad to see that "schools" are on the table.

The handgun registration has been on the table for awhile, and hopefully will be done away with. It would probably be gone by now if it wasn't for the LEO groups wailing about it, even though it is useless but it's a way for them to keep you under their thumb, they're probably still mad that the CPL law passed in the first place.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... It would probably be gone by now if it wasn't for the LEO groups wailing about it, even though it is useless ...

Right, because registration provides LEO jobs - plain and simple. Someone is processing all the forms. Someone is doing all the cursory "safety checks" (don't get me started on that one). Someone is maintaining all the systems where the information resides, etc.

A retired Saginaw LEO friend of mine was once arguing the point (of handgun registration) with the head of the MI State Police and asked if he could remember a single case, a SINGLE INSTANCE, where registration of the handgun involved was instrumental in either solving the case or convicting those involved. He could think of NONE.

Not saying there have never been any, but it's a good illustration of how rarely such registration makes any substantive difference. It's purely political. There's no cost/benefit justification to be made.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom