Miami Vice or Jackass rig, whats the diff?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I can find on teh web, the diff between the Miami Vice and Jackass rigs?

I see that the Jackass can be adjusted to an angle, which I like, sort of like an FBI cant angle

I see that the Jackass was the name of the Leather Co, before Galco bought it too

But are ther any nmoteiceable differecnes in the two rtigs?

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I can find on teh web, the diff between the Miami Vice and Jackass rigs?

I see that the Jackass can be adjusted to an angle, which I like, sort of like an FBI cant angle

I see that the Jackass was the name of the Leather Co, before Galco bought it too

But are ther any nmoteiceable differecnes in the two rtigs?

I dont know. Check out Andrews Custom tho, I dont know anyone who hasnt loved theirs.

Andrews Custom Leather

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I might be mistaken, but I believe Jackass rigs were the ones before Galco bought them out, then they still have them. They were made more famous on Miami Vice, thus making them the Miami Classics. Not sure if they made them any different. Although I believe they also have a Miami Classic II out as well. Good luck. I have heard that they are amazingly comfortable.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    They are the same holster. Jackass leatherworks was either bought out, or changed their name.
    And due to copyright issues they changed the name from Miama Classic to the Jackass rig, in homage to the peeps who actually created it.

At least, this is what I had recently read on the subject :)

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Well the Jackass Rig and teh Galco Miami Classic showed up today, no can wear! The gun sticks out in front of me in a noticeable way, I'm 6' - 190 lbs and it just does not work for me unless I wear a large coat,,

Sent them both back..

Gonna try the Galco Vertical Rig.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Well the Jackass Rig and teh Galco Miami Classic showed up today, no can wear! The gun sticks out in front of me in a noticeable way, I'm 6' - 190 lbs and it just does not work for me unless I wear a large coat,,

Sent them both back..

Gonna try the Galco Vertical Rig.

Did you try adjusting them at all? I know the ones that i have worked with have tons of adjustments on them. In fact, at times, too many adjustments

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Miami Classic

opplanet-galco-miami-classic-shoulder-system-sw-jr-f-taurus-85c.jpg

Attached at top only - Gun is held horizontal.

Jackass

JACKASS-HOLSTER-COMPONENT.gif

Attaches to top and bottom - Gun is held at an upward cant.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    :yesway: on the Miami Classic. Had one for my 92FS that I used with some frequency. I had the holster adjusted to the point the gun was carried and an '/' angle under a jacket, it just disappeared.
    Some SOB stole it while I was changing cloths from a plainclothes job to a uniformed job(security). And I had got it for a bargain at a gun show.:xmad:

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I had them bot on today, dinked with them for an hour before I threw in the towel,, I have another horizontal brand made by Armadillo on the way, should arrive tomorrow, and I swapped the Jackass for the Galco Vertical Holster, which should come in a week or so.

I might have been expecting to much too, I wear a sweater vest in the fall/winter and the Kimber 3" was extremely noticeable. I might swap to my M&P 40C

Or since you have two extra mags on the opposite side, I might downsize from the 1911 to a Kahr PM40 or PM45,

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I might have been expecting to much too, I wear a sweater vest in the fall/winter and the Kimber 3" was extremely noticeable. I might swap to my M&P 40C

I think you'll have trouble with anything under a sweater vest, especially in a shoulder holster.

Shoulder holsters aren't really the best for concealment without a good cover garment. Where they shine is ease of access when a belt holster wouldn't work well. Imagine trying to draw while seat-belted in and wearing a suit where the jacket covers the belt holster, for example. Its a lot easier to reach into your suit jacket than free it from the seat belt and then draw.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I ended up keeping one of the 4 shoulder holsters I tried, the Galco CL290 Tan Right Hand Classic Lite Shoulder Leather Holster to use with my PM9 & PM40, with a single mag holder. I really, really like it a lot, I do like the suede a little softer and more flexible!

Steeltoe546

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Castleton
    Other than the coloring, i think the jackass has slightly wider straps over the shoulders. I'm thinking about a jackass rig for a glock 21 in the near future, someone correct me if i'm misinformed

Top Bottom