• ...and so much more!
  • Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    Gun exchange exceeds expectations

MICHIGAN CITY | Gift cards for guns were given out so rapidly, police in Michigan City had to go to Walmart to reload.
    Money to purchase more $50 gift cards ran out in just one hour. Police going in figured they had enough gift cards to last two days.
    "We exceeded our expectations completely," Michigan City Police Sgt. Chris Yagelski said.
    The "More Buck for the Bang" program was supposed to begin at 10 a.m. but people lining up early outside the police station with guns to exchange for extra spending cash forced police to open the doors 30 minutes sooner.
    When the dust settled, a total of 94 handguns, shotguns, rifles and BB guns were collected.
    In comparison, about 50 guns in a 48-hour period were turned in under a similar gift exchange program last year.
    Yagelski said the first 64 gift cards provided totally by Walmart were given out almost right away.
    Police department funds were scraped together to purchase another 30 gift cards -- which quickly vanished, too.
    "It was amazing," Yagelski said.
    Guns ranged from an old military-style rifle, a rusted sawed-off shotgun and derringer often carried by women in their purses were turned in.
    Just one of the guns had to be disarmed.
    The handguns will go into a bulletproof glass case now containing more than 300 firearms confiscated in recent years in drug raids and other crime scenes. The case is on display in the police station lobby to make a visual impact about the dangers of guns.
    Michigan City Police Chief Ben Neitzel said the main thrust of the exchange program is to reduce the number of guns in homes for burglars and thieves to steal.
    Stolen firearms -- when exchanged for drugs -- many times end up on the streets, he said.
    Yagelski said he believes the economy had something to do with the huge response.
    "Fifty dollars worth of groceries or Christmas shopping is something that people are digging in their closets for guns saying, 'I don't need that anymore,'" Yagelski said.

For the sake of my own happiness I'm just going to think that all the guns turned in were found in dark alleys. The people turning them in were all aware the firearms were involved in crimes. At least they were smart enough to turn them in for money instead of to the police station when they found them, they get money this way. Yes this paragraph is all BS, just don't like the idea of someone giving up a firearm.

I am glad the person whose gun had to be unloaded turned in their gun. That was just stupid.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    i almost couldn't believe it....

Gun exchange exceeds expectations

is it a sign of the times or do people just have old junk guns they are willing to trade in for a 50 dollar walmart gift card? i couldn't believe it at first although these programs have been around forever. what really struck me funny was the police cheifs response at the end talking about taking guns out of homes so theives won't get them. maybe if we had more responsible gun owners theives wouldn't be breaking into homes? hopefully they all went to walmart and purchased a new shotgun with their 50 dollars.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    They paid out $4,700 in gift cards, and got 94 old rusted guns in return? :n00b:

What a great program! :n00b::n00b::n00b:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    How many old BB guns you seen at garage or yard sales from ten to a couple buck? Most of them don't really work very good, either worn out or not taken care of.

Now it seems I should buy them up and turn them in for sixty bucks...LOL Might be a deal there.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    bb guns too?

I didn't even catch that.

Step 1: Go to Walmart, buy $20 BB gun.
    Step 2: Turn it in for $50 gift card.
    Step 3. Go back to Walmart, buy groceries.

I'd like to see their faces when you turn it in, still in the plastic packaging! lol

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I didn't even catch that.

Step 1: Go to Walmart, buy $20 BB gun.
    Step 2: Turn it in for $50 gift card.
    Step 3. Go back to Walmart, buy 2 bb guns and $10 worth of groceries.
    Step 4. Turn them in for 2 $50 gift cards.
    Step 5. Go back to walmart, buy 5 bb guns.
    Step 6. Turn them in for 5 $50 gift cards.
    Step 7. go back to walmart, buy 12 bb guns and $10 worth of groceries.
    Step 8. Turn them in for 12 $50 gift cards.

Need I continue?

I'd like to see their faces when you turn it in, still in the plastic packaging! lol

Fixed that for you. :rockwoot:

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    They said that they are displaying these in a glass case in their department HQ. Can an INGoer can go take a photograph of them to get an idea of what the PD is talking about and to get an idea of the quality of firearms being turned in.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Well if theives are breaking into homes and getting guns, it is obviously the guns and not the theives that are the problem. That is an entirely logical conclusion :rolleyes:

Maybe they should sponsor a turn-in program for Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys too.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    T-Shirt-Gunowners-of-America-718923.jpg

XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Michigan City PD use to auction off confiscated guns. My buddy got an AR years ago for $175.00 Now they will give you $50 for a BB gun

cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    If it is the chief's contention is that these guns are being stolen from homes, shouldn't they be returned to the owner rather than being displayed in a case? Wouldn't it suck if the owner saw the gun that was stolen from his home in the case and charged the MCPD with possession of stolen property:):

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If it is the chief's contention is that these guns are being stolen from homes, shouldn't they be returned to the owner rather than being displayed in a case? Wouldn't it suck if the owner saw the gun that was stolen from his home in the case and charged the MCPD with possession of stolen property:):

Now that would be classic!

Top Bottom