Michigan CPL Holder Fires Upon Shoplifter Fleeing Home Depot: Justified?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    This is an example of why people need training - when to get involved and when not to. Bad decision on the part of the CCL holder. These are the examples that we all need to hear about and learn from.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    This is an example of why people need training - when to get involved and when not to. Bad decision on the part of the CCL holder. These are the examples that we all need to hear about and learn from.

I would add that "just because you can, doesn't mean you should." Michigan has a fleeing felon law, upheld by the MI Supremes, and distinguishing the SCOTUS decision regarding LEO's. What the woman did as not per se illegal under MI law. However, as always, "reasonableness under the circumstances" will control, and that's probably why they are still deciding whether or not to charge the woman. Here's a link to a nice summary:
    Michigan Rules for Arrest, Advice to Gun Owners

As for me, I would never put myself at risk by using deadly force to stop a shoplifter stealing from a box store. So much could go wrong.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

No, this is an example of why some people should educate themselves. It is not a reason that all people need training. People who care to know, will learn on their own. People who don't, won't be helped by mandatory training.

Ultimately, this is an example of why people should be held responsible for their own actions.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well this IS Detroit..... services there are so underfunded and spread so thin, someone probably got tired of it and took matters into their own hands. (not that I condone it)

Now if this was the upper peninsula, this wouldn't be in the news. There are towns up there that everyone is a deputy they are so small.

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    No, this is an example of why some people should educate themselves. It is not a reason that all people need training. People who care to know, will learn on their own. People who don't, won't be helped by mandatory training.

Ultimately, this is an example of why people should be held responsible for their own actions.

Agreed - people should be held accountable for their actions. I am a firm believer in that. However, when people act stupid with guns, it reflects negatively on all of us. We do not need to give the anti-gunners any more ammunition to push their agenda.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Agreed - people should be held accountable for their actions. I am a firm believer in that. However, when people act stupid with guns, it reflects negatively on all of us. We do not need to give the anti-gunners any more ammunition to push their agenda.

No. No it does not. It reflects poorly on the person who acted. There are 100,000,000 law-abiding gun owners in this country, some 10-15 million of whom have carry licenses (or who carry constitutionally). Among them, the crime rate is the lowest of any other demographic.

We need to stop letting the other side define the narrative.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    First I'm going to say "I wonder what was stolen" and then I'm going to follow up with "have you ever seen how much good inventory they trash?"

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    No. No it does not. It reflects poorly on the person who acted. There are 100,000,000 law-abiding gun owners in this country, some 10-15 million of whom have carry licenses (or who carry constitutionally). Among them, the crime rate is the lowest of any other demographic.

We need to stop letting the other side define the narrative.

You say that. Gun grabbers say "Look how reckless they are! They think they are a bunch of Rambos!"

Top Bottom