• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    My wife is heading out tomorrow to Michigan. She is going with her son to a cabin on Little Platte lake near Sleeping Bear Dunes. I am confused by MI law though. They issue a CPL but do recognize Indiana LTCH. Does that mean she can only carry OC or does the Indiana LTCH also cover carrying CC? She's leaving tomorrow morning and any help would be appreciated.
    I am aware of all the other MI gun laws just confused on their CC/OC position for out of state permits.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Actually, I think after some research, it appears that an Indiana LTCH covers both concealed and open carry there. It is just confusing the way they write their laws.

Has anyone had any trouble carrying concealed or even OCing in Michigan??

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson

I did check that site first. What was confusing to me was the way things were worded in Michigan law--particularly the Michigan State Police Site which seemed to state that they honored Indiana's permit but MI itself only issues a Concealed Carry License and you had to have one to carry concealed. Indiana license is a carry license and makes no such distinction. So I was uncertain whether that meant you can only carry openly in MI if you have an Indiana LCTH. ....or maybe I'm just over-thinking this?:dunno:

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Just got called by the Michigan State Police.
    They honor Indiana's license for all purposes. You can carry concealed or openly in accordance with their state laws. (no bars, federal buildings, duty to inform officer if stopped, etc.) But Indiana's license is "good to go".

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Just got called by the Michigan State Police.
    They honor Indiana's license for all purposes. You can carry concealed or openly in accordance with their state laws. (no bars, federal buildings, duty to inform officer if stopped, etc.) But Indiana's license is "good to go".

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the follow up

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Call the MI state police and ask.

Worst idea ever. Never, ever ask police for legal advice! Ever!

Although I must say that of all the state police agencies in the entire United States of America, you probably picked the best one because we have worked closely with them to craft several of their Michigan State Police Legal Updates that go out to every police agency in Michigan, and we crafted the ones on open carry.

:rockwoot:

Yes, you can open carry (without license) or conceal carry (with license). MI has some gun laws that you must be aware of:

a) you must disclose to police if you are CCing
    b) carry in a car is considered CCing, even if you are OCing
    c) you must have a CPL/LTCH to carry in buildings that are licensed to sell alcohol (even grocery stores or gas stations)
    d) you are NOT required to ID to LEOs (unless driving)
    e) MI has pre-emption, just like IN

There are more, but this should cover you for a short vacation. Any questions, just ask.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Really??

Never ask the police?

For three long years -I had to ask the police permission to do just about everything.
    I even had to ask a cop before I could have sex. I'm serious! :(

She worked homicide, westcoast. Best 3 years ever.
    I still have scars on my wrists.:D

Michigan is good to go. It's nice knowing you don't have to worry about putting guns away before crossing that border.

jtdet01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    If the trip is actually going to Sleeping Bear Dunes consider it is a National Park, . . . see . ..
    MCRGO - Frequently Asked Questions about Michigan Gun Laws
    Look for
    Q:Can I carry my concealed pistol in National Parks?
    ... Federal law continues to prohibit the possession of firearms in designated federal facilities in national parks, for example, visitor centers, offices, or maintenance buildings. These places are posted with 'firearms prohibited' signs at public entrances.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Worst idea ever. Never, ever ask police for legal advice! Ever!

Although I must say that of all the state police agencies in the entire United States of America, you probably picked the best one because we have worked closely with them to craft several of their Michigan State Police Legal Updates that go out to every police agency in Michigan, and we crafted the ones on open carry.

:rockwoot:

Yes, you can open carry (without license) or conceal carry (with license). MI has some gun laws that you must be aware of:

a) you must disclose to police if you are CCing
    b) carry in a car is considered CCing, even if you are OCing
    c) you must have a CPL/LTCH to carry in buildings that are licensed to sell alcohol (even grocery stores or gas stations)
    d) you are NOT required to ID to LEOs (unless driving)
    e) MI has pre-emption, just like IN

There are more, but this should cover you for a short vacation. Any questions, just ask.

Thanks, yes I went over the other laws with her about where she can and can't carry. The disclosure law I was a little wrong on. I thought I understood the law to read that in any official encounter with a LEO she had to to ID her carrying even if not driving.
    What seemed confusing to me was that the way the law reads it sounds like you have to have a license that specifically says you can carry concealed which Indiana does not have. Ours is just to carry--open or concealed is not differentiated.
    Thanks for your reply. They are on their way and Joe doesn't drink so neither will be hitting the bars.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    If the trip is actually going to Sleeping Bear Dunes consider it is a National Park, . . . see . ..
    MCRGO - Frequently Asked Questions about Michigan Gun Laws
    Look for
    Q:Can I carry my concealed pistol in National Parks?
    ... Federal law continues to prohibit the possession of firearms in designated federal facilities in national parks, for example, visitor centers, offices, or maintenance buildings. These places are posted with 'firearms prohibited' signs at public entrances.

Thanks, she said they weren't planning on going to Sleeping Bear this time--just fishing on Little Platte. They will be staying at a privately owned camp ground that has cabins. Restaurants, grocery stores and gas stations are all the public places they are likely to visit.

Top Bottom