Microsoft releases BING (google competitor)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvoVIIIMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Formerly known as live.com. You can receive cashback from items bought using bing.com. I just received $76.69 from an ebay purchase I made a couple months ago.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For some reason the name makes me think

"Bing! Bing! Biiinnnnng! Ricocheeeeeeet Rabbit!"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EICOsZ889M[/ame]

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    There is an age old adage in the world of business, "Be first, not better".

Personally I feel it's a stupid mistake on Micro$hafts part.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Boilers wrote: For some reason the name makes me think

"Bing! Bing! Biiinnnnng! Ricocheeeeeeet Rabbit!"

That's going back a few years in my old memory bank. (and it's been overdrawn a few times.)

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    wow, first thing I thought when I saw the bing.com site "must have type the url in wrong, looks like those other search sites you get when you type a url wrong"

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    There is an age old adage in the world of business, "Be first, not better".

Personally I feel it's a stupid mistake on Micro part.

Microsoft isn't first at anything....

They stole the "windows" idea from Apple. They just announced a new xbox 360 "wiimote" knockoff that is purportedly better.

And now this.... can't say it's out of character for them :rolleyes:

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008

They stole the "windows" idea from Apple. They just announced a new xbox 360 "wiimote" knockoff that is purportedly better.

"Stole it" or made it better? I'd say there is a reason most people use Windows over Apple when both were available at the time!

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon

I agree, for anyone that doesn't want to read the history of Apple / Microsoft let me recommend the movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley".

"Stole it" or made it better? I'd say there is a reason most people use Windows over Apple when both were available at the time!

Yes, STOLE it, by the way Apple's OS X is based from Darwin Unix and Windows is DOS based, TOTALLY different operating systems. Microsoft Window's can't hold a candle to any *nix based OS, bottom line, there is no argument. Gates, Balmer and Paul Allen completely jacked the code straight from Xerox, went to IBM and said they had a new OS; made the deal with IBM and THEN hacked up the source.

Steve Jobs + Steve Wozniak wrote OS/2 from scratch and marketed it themselves. In fact; Wonz is the first and ONLY person ever to completely engineer the hardware AND software of a personal PC from the ground up.

Pure Genius VS Thieves

Last edited:

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    "Stole it" or made it better?

Both?

Actually, I have another answer -- marketing. I am a PC man, definitely, but I know history, and it doesn't lie :).

I'd own a Mac, if they wouldn't make all the hardware proprietary. People who say "they just work!" are kidding themselves. They're being restricted to an overpriced product that remains entirely proprietary, and therefore controlled by, Apple.

But Kudos to Apple for being "worth" stealing? :D

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Both?

Actually, I have another answer -- marketing. I am a PC man, definitely, but I know history, and it doesn't lie :).

I'd own a Mac, if they wouldn't make all the hardware proprietary. People who say "they just work!" are kidding themselves. They're being restricted to an overpriced product that remains entirely proprietary, and therefore controlled by, Apple.

But Kudos to Apple for being "worth" stealing? :D

Apple hardware isn't totally proprietary, also this type of hardware is nothing new, look at the giants, IBM and HP; they're server based market is all proprietary hardware and software. Apple is the only one that does it on a consumer base. You get STABILITY with this option, for the manufacturer only needs one main point of focus; you don't get mixed results and a crap load of BSOD's.

There is a good trade off now, Apple has gone with the Intel platform, no more IBM RISC chips so the code is far more portable and you get many other OS options. I own macs, anything I have that is not OS X based; is of course Linux based. Windows just doesn't cut it, it's poorly written that allows too many vulnerabilities to be exploited. Too much aftermarket stuff is required just to have it minimally functional.

You can't compete with *nix - it's the way of the past AND the future.

66MustangCvt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    South-East Indy
    Microsoft Bing? Any relation to Microsoft Bob?
    Microsoft_Bob.PNG

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    @ Boilers & Misconfig

I'll give you points :). Apple is getting better, but still far from where the PC has gone in terms of moddability. It's only been in the last 5 years MAX, that they've started to branch out where the PC's been for well over 15 years.

If they start offering products on the OS that I want to play, I might get a MAC, but none of the latest and greatest games have been written or tested on it, so there is no guarantee they'll work any better or not.

Hehe, that last comment of mine reminds me of Lindows, if anyone remembers that :D

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    @ Boilers & Misconfig

I'll give you points :). Apple is getting better, but still far from where the PC has gone in terms of moddability. It's only been in the last 5 years MAX, that they've started to branch out where the PC's been for well over 15 years.

If they start offering products on the OS that I want to play, I might get a MAC, but none of the latest and greatest games have been written or tested on it, so there is no guarantee they'll work any better or not.

Hehe, that last comment of mine reminds me of Lindows, if anyone remembers that :D

I beg to differ!

Starcraft, Diablo, World Of WarCraft, Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 all have native OS X ports from Blizzard. The games you cannot play natively on OS X, simply install windows with OS X's bootcamp software, viola, you're running Windows on high performance hardware. You can just about use any application on OS X these days, like I said the code is far more portable now; since they changed from RISC PPC processors.

Also, about the software you'd like to toy with, Apple has some of the greatest digital video / music / photo editing software on the market.

Check this list out; I think you'll be pleasently surprised.

Category:Mac OS X games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:ranton:

Top Bottom