• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Just saw this on bladeforums. This should be very interesting!

NU8AX.jpg

zm4Y3.jpg

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    they did it to Strider Knives, too. showed up at the show with "proto" autos of the SnG folder. the previous year, Josh had told them they "could talk about it". the next year, oh look what microtech is selling. with no relationship to Strider.

ridiculous.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I hate to be the one to say it but the really bad part is that microtech will be another 150 dollars more expensive lol. if your going to rip someone off it better be cheaper at least. Microtech has some solid stuff but I personally hate a person/company that steals.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I guess it only surprised me because 12 hours ago I didn't know any better. ;)

I do now! and can add another knife company to the 'do not buy from' list.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I guess it only surprised me because 12 hours ago I didn't know any better. ;)

I do now! and can add another knife company to the 'do not buy from' list.

I think that would be a big mistake because Microtech makes some of the best knives out there and they do have their own designs that are awesome. Just like any knife company out there, they will have a few designs that are similar to other companies designs. There a a lot of companies out there that are copying Microtech designs...it's just the way it is in the knife world. :twocents:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Who stole who's design?

Take a look at the Microtech Select Fire knife that I have pictured below. Microtech started this design back in early 2010 and announced/released it at this years Blade show (June 2011). Take a look at the design (blade shape). How easy would it be to make few design changes to make this a flipper blade?

MicrotechSelectFire.jpg

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Definitely don't write off Microtech. As Brad said, they are one of the more innovative knife companies out there, and use top notch materials on many of their knives.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    oh, Im sure they make fine knives. I know I've lusted after a few of them!! BUT, I really dont have any respect for a company that blatantly rips off another companies work. I mean, sure taking an idea and expanding on it is one thing, but just copying the knife so that they look almost like twins is something completely different IMO.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    None of this is surprising if you know the history of Microtech and Tony (Microtech owner). He has pissed off more people in the knife world than I can count. Almost of of his collaborations with other designers have ended with law suits.

I have to wonder if this might be a little revenge on Tony's part for the ZT OTF design. I was lucky enough to see ZT's OTF prototype at Blade last year and the first thing I thought was it was a blatant copy of Microtech's Scarab model.

:dunno:

Last edited:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    straight from thomas, this is pretty much dirt bag status imo. they didn't even bother to change anything really. I honestly liked microtech but this is no different than cold steel

He's quoted as saying "What the hell, I'm going to make their knife design anyway and beat them to production and make some money"
    So now we know.

As to Tony's quote of "doing the right thing" and us scrapping the ZT OTF. Wow, just wow.

As to the only reason we scrapped the OTF project, testing proved OTF's internals failed. All of them, every time.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    I used to own a mircotech or 3. They were well made. He not only rip-offs designs he has ripped off makers too. I think Walter Brend, Bob Terzuola, and Greg Lightfoot are a few that have gotten screwed by Tony Marifone, or is it Mariphony.

Bottom line, the guy seems to be an idiot.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    They are all owned by the same company

Microtech and ZT are two VERY different companies owned by different people. Microtech is owned by Tony and Kershaw (who owns ZT) is owned by Pete Kershaw. Go get your first 50 posts somewhere else instead of a 3 year old thread.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Microtech and ZT are two VERY different companies owned by different people. Microtech is owned by Tony and Kershaw (who owns ZT) is owned by Pete Kershaw. Go get your first 50 posts somewhere else instead of a 3 year old thread.

The Kershaw brand (and ZT and Shun) is owned by KAI now.

Top Bottom