• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gloxrok

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    NC Indiana
    First, let me say that I love Microtech knives. Fit and finish, materials, design, style, ergos, are all among the very best I’ve experienced. So, as a service to this community, I wanted to document my experience with their customer service to help anyone who may be on the fence about Microtech because of the attention they seem to get for poor C.S. Just google “microtech customer service” if curious.

Background

I purchased a Socom Delta, aluminum handle, plain tanto edge in late 2013. I EDC’d it for three or so weeks straight before I noticed some up/down blade play. Being that Microtech knives aren’t cheap, and being that I, and I’m sure others, hold Microtech to a higher standard of quality, I decided to call their C.S. to explain the issue and explore my options.

My Experience

The very first person I spoke with, Laurel, was very nice, not chatty, but professional and to the point. She said they could fix the issue, no problem. She explained their return process, told me how to get an RA number on their website, and explained in detail to follow the instructions for returning the knife. Great! No issue, no attitude, just excellent customer service.

So, their website states a 3-6 week lead time for warranty work. Well, for whatever reason, my knife took longer than that. I’m pretty patient and I knew they had it, so I didn’t get worked up about it. I ended up calling, and speaking with Laurel, several times over the past few weeks. She has always been courteous, professional, pleasant, and informative. She apologized for the extended delay and offered to personally see to it that my knife got worked on asap. That was on a Friday, and she said to call back on the following Wednesday if I hadn’t yet received email confirmation of tracking.

I ended up calling back on the following Wednesday, again spoke with Laurel, again very pleasant, and was told my knife would probably ship the same week. Wouldn’t you know it, but I got an email with tracking information that very same week, last Thursday to be exact. Here’s a tip, if you need info from Microtech, just call them at (814) 363-9260, don’t use email.

So, today I received my knife back. It was packed very well: inside the shipping box was a standard microtech white box, which had my knife, bubble wrapped, in a new microfiber bag. Nice! And the knife is now perfect!

Conclusion

Ok, sorry for the long post here, but I felt obliged to put, in writing, an actual experience with Microtech’s customer service so others could see that, contrary to what some may or may not have experienced, their C.S. is, well, just that, good Customer Service. Would some see the extended lead time as “crappy” customer service? Maybe, but not me. I look at it like this, it’s a knife, I knew where it was, and I had no issue waiting a couple extra weeks to get it back. The wait made it all the sweeter when I received it on my front porch, a second time.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I thus far have had the opposite. None of my messages have been returned, and even though Laurel is there, every time I call it goes right to voice mail. I don't think I'll ever see my Combat Troodon again.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Well I have have called and left messages and emails twice a week for 3 weeks. I seriously think they must have lost my knife or something. All I know for sure is they did receive it. And here is the kicker, the company I work for is a Microtech dealer.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Hmmmm, at this point, 4 posts above, 3 customers, and 4 Microtech knives (I'm presuming grunt soldier is stating they have 2 knives that need repair) with problems of some form or fashion (including 1/3 - 2/3 extended delay on return)? While not a large sample size, that's 1.33~ needed repairs per customer for their products? :scratch:

Considering I've had a Benchmade (and others) for roughly 25+ years and never had any problem with it (or them), doesn't sound like a very good overall 'recommendation' for Microtech, IMO. Especially considering the prices Microtech gets and their supposed reputation for 'quality'. JMO.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Well I have have called and left messages and emails twice a week for 3 weeks. I seriously think they must have lost my knife or something. All I know for sure is they did receive it. And here is the kicker, the company I work for is a Microtech dealer.

I have no problem talking with someone at Microtech. I speak with them at least once a week. You must not have the "secret phone number"...the one that actually gets answered when you call. :D

gloxrok

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    NC Indiana
    damn this makes me nervous now lol. I have mine that needs sent off. one semi good and one bad. maybe I'll be the tie breaker lol

just make sure to follow their return process, and i would first give them a call to explain the knife's issue (easier said than done, apparantly-i've called them several times without issue, fwiw.) also, all autos must go through the return process either through a dealer, like Brad, or through active military/LEO.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Yes unfortunately mine is a auto and it's not really broken. Just the spring broke after me opening and closing it like 5k times lol. I really wish they would just ship me a new freaking spring but they won't. It's really stupid they won't ship autos back to the person especially since they are legal here. I really like their knives but that type of BS puts me off or them. I'll be calling today to start the process as I have put it off long enough now.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    It's not Microtech's decision to ship only to LEO, Military, or one of their direct dealers (This is for auto knives only). You have to remember that federal laws are still in place that prohibit manufactures from shipping across state lines unless it is being shipped to LEO, Military, or one of their direct dealers. Microtech's procedures for shipping auto knives is no different than Benchmade or any other manufacturer of auto knives because of the federal laws that are still in place.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Success. I called Microtech again today, and an employee there took the 2 minutes to find out the status of my repair. The bad part is, I sent it in in February, it has been more than 6 weeks, it is still in the waiting to be repaired status, and I could not get an ETA on when it would actually be repaired. I was told they get repaired in the order they are received and they are running a little behind. Must be a lot of broken Microtech knives out there. This does not look well on the company if their are so many repairs that they can't keep up with there own time frame.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Success. I called Microtech again today, and an employee there took the 2 minutes to find out the status of my repair. The bad part is, I sent it in in February, it has been more than 6 weeks, it is still in the waiting to be repaired status, and I could not get an ETA on when it would actually be repaired. I was told they get repaired in the order they are received and they are running a little behind. Must be a lot of broken Microtech knives out there. This does not look well on the company if their are so many repairs that they can't keep up with there own time frame.

that is annoying. I'll be calling tomorrow to get the info to get mine shipped to them. Hopefully your instance was just a slip up or something.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

gloxrok

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    NC Indiana
    So, one interesting thing that I was told is that warranty work is only done on Mondays. This could explain the back log and extended lead times. Just before I received my knife back, I was told that they were coming in over the weekend to catch up on warranty work. I shipped mine in on 1-27-14 and got it back last friday. A long time? Sure, but I knew they had it, and it's not really worth getting worked up over. It doesn't change my opinion of the company or their knives.

FWIW, Microtech employs 30, give or take. Spyderco and Benchmade, about 150. Kershaw about 250. Anyone ever send in warranty work to one of those companies? If so, what was the wait time, experience, etc.? I never have, so I can't comment.

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    I actually have an Ultratech that needs fixing. I've been putting it off because there is no dealer near me that I know of, and that makes it a giant PITA.

@gloxrok: I have never had a Spyderco break. Never a Kershaw that was worth sending in over buying a new one. Benchmade did really well by me when the omega broke on a Griptilian that I beat the hell out of. I think they charged me like $4 for shipping, and I got it back in no more than 2 weeks, but this was a while back. Emerson has also been very good with service in my experience, quick and communicative. I'll have to put a post up about Strider at some point; I'm going to be sending 2 out in the near future.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    there is a thread about kershaw warranty in here. I don't honestly think their warranty can be beat. awesome company.

Thanks for the info brad. I'm going to knock that out today.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I actually have an Ultratech that needs fixing. I've been putting it off because there is no dealer near me that I know of, and that makes it a giant PITA.

@gloxrok: I have never had a Spyderco break. Never a Kershaw that was worth sending in over buying a new one. Benchmade did really well by me when the omega broke on a Griptilian that I beat the hell out of. I think they charged me like $4 for shipping, and I got it back in no more than 2 weeks, but this was a while back. Emerson has also been very good with service in my experience, quick and communicative. I'll have to put a post up about Strider at some point; I'm going to be sending 2 out in the near future.

Feel free in using me as your dealer. Just go to Microtech's website and follow the instructions for getting a RA# assigned to your knife. They will ask you what dealer you want your knife shipped to after the repair work has been completeted. Microtech knows me as Brad Hyde or BJH Enterprises. If you need any assistance in this don't hesitate in contacting me.

We can worry about the logistics of getting your knife to you after I have received it back from Microtech. Terre Haute is not that far from me......well, it's closer than Bradford PA. :)

Last edited:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Feel free in using me as your dealer. Just go to Microtech's website and follow the instructions for getting a RA# assigned to your knife. They will ask you what dealer you want your knife shipped to after the repair work has been completeted. Microtech knows me as Brad Hyde or BJH Enterprises. If you need any assistance in this don't hesitate in contacting me.

We can worry about the logistics of getting your knife to you after I have received it back from Microtech. Terre Haute is not that far from me......well, it's closer than Bradford PA. :)

Damn it I put you down as Brad's knives lol. I sent that return form off 2 days ago and still no RA from them. they sent me a email saying they got my info but not to send it off until I get the RA from them.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Damn it I put you down as Brad's knives lol. I sent that return form off 2 days ago and still no RA from them. they sent me a email saying they got my info but not to send it off until I get the RA from them.

:):.....you might have gotten a better result putting down "*******" as your dealer....they would have known who that was.:) I'll call them Monday and get it straightened out for you.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    9 days after finally getting a response from Microtech, my knife has still not been touched, according to Laurel whom I spoke with today. So to be clear, my knife has sat with them untouched for 9 weeks. On the positive side, I was told I would get an email today from them telling me why it is taking so long and how that will be remedied. This whole situation make me a sad panda.

Top Bottom