Microtech's Poor Customer Service, Buyer Beware!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    So back in February, I contact Microtech's customer service to get my $400 Combat Troodon fixed. It would not deploy all the way, and when it was deployed, it would not retract all the way. Here is my ongoing story, take it for what you will.

February, I call Microtech to tell them my knife needs service. They tell me to fill out the Return Authorization Form. So I do. Two days later I get an email from Laurel Scafidi telling me my RA# and procedures, which includes having to write them a check for $15 for repair processing and return shipping. The email also tells me the repair will take 3-6 weeks for repair, that is respectable in my opinion. The next day I send my knife out, comes out to about $15 for shipping and conformation. So now my $400 knife just cost me another $30, so be it.

So fast forward to mid March, I call to check out the status of my repair. I talked to a very nice lady on the phone, who tells me she is going to patch me through to Laurel Scafidi, it rings, no one answers. I call again, same thing, no answer. So on March 26th, I send an email, with all the info someone would need to find out the status of my repair, and asking them to get back to me. Two weeks with no answer (actually still waiting for that return email, but no luck, -1 to them), I call them again and leave a Message on Laurel Scafidi's machine, and again, no answer even though I left all my contact info, another -1 for them.

Then my first breakthrough. I called Microtech again April 15th, and an employee there took the 2 minutes to find out the status of my repair. The bad part is, I sent it in in February, it has been more than 6 weeks at that point, it is still in the waiting to be repaired status, and I could not get an ETA on when it would actually be repaired. I was told they get repaired in the order they are received and they are running a little behind. Must be a lot of broken Microtech knives out there. This does not look well on the company if there are so many repairs that they can't keep up with there own time frame.

I called again today April 25th 11am, 10 days after the last update, and felt blessed that Laurel Scafidi answered the phone. Again unfortunately it has not yet been repaired. So to be clear, my knife has sat with them untouched for about 9 weeks. On the positive side, I was told I would get an email today from them telling me why it is taking so long and how that will be remedied. This whole situation make me a sad panda. But here it is 11:10PM and I have yet to receive this email. I hate being lied to.

I feel as though I have given them every chance in the world. I'd be happy if they just told me it would be another 9 weeks but by that time it would definitely be back in my hands, at least then I could stop worrying about my so far $430 investment. I will keep you all updated as events happen.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    On line ordering and customer service is something that is really sliding down hill these days. I long for the days of being able to reach over the counter towards a human being when they screw the pooch like this.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    To the OP, you have had a problem with Microtech from day one, long before your problems with your personal knife. Complaining about the glass breakers on certain models and making statements about how the Ultratech model is not a "real" Microtech knife. As an employee of a company that is a direct dealer with Microtech, I find this very interesting, and I'm sure Microtech will also, when they see one of their direct dealers whining and complaining about them in a public forum. As a direct dealer, you have resources that the average person doesn't, you failed to use those resources/options.

Microtech's reputation on repairs (turn around time) is well documented. It has been that way for a very long time.....I don't see it changing. If you are planning on owning a Microtech, then you need to accept the fact that this is the way their custom service is. Knowing the history of Microtech's turn around time on repairs..... if that bothers you, then maybe Microtech knives are not for you. :twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    To the OP, you have had a problem with Microtech from day one, long before your problems with your personal knife. Complaining about the glass breakers on certain models and making statements about how the Ultratech model is not a "real" Microtech knife. As an employee of a company that is a direct dealer with Microtech, I find this very interesting, and I'm sure Microtech will also, when they see one of their direct dealers whining and complaining about them in a public forum. As a direct dealer, you have resources that the average person doesn't, you failed to use those resources/options.

Microtech's reputation on repairs (turn around time) is well documented. It has been that way for a very long time.....I don't see it changing. If you are planning on owning a Microtech, then you need to accept the fact that this is the way their custom service is. Knowing the history of Microtech's turn around time on repairs..... if that bothers you, then maybe Microtech knives are not for you. :twocents:

Well, now we know....the rest of the story.....:dunno:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI

Microtech's reputation on repairs (turn around time) is well documented. It has been that way for a very long time.....I don't see it changing. If you are planning on owning a Microtech, then you need to accept the fact that this is the way their custom service is. Knowing the history of Microtech's turn around time on repairs..... if that bothers you, then maybe Microtech knives are not for you. :twocents:[/QUtthem

I used those resources, was told to do the same as anyone else for repairs. Which is nice to see that Microtech doesn't play favorites. I don't think my company has ordered anything direct from Microtech in months. And the ultratechs are not like real Microtechs, I've never had to send back a ultratech. The only thing I think I ever said about the glass breakers was that I wish the round ball breaker was standard on all of them.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    UPDATE:

It is back. At long last my Combat Troodon is back in my pocket, and boy is she sweeter than ever. They buffed the back of the blade, replaced the rear lock, cleaned, oiled, and sharpened her for me. You could perform surgery with this blade, and it was all well worth it, she looks brand new again. Took them roughly 11 and a half weeks, but in the end it was worth it.

Top Bottom