Mid-to-full sized polymer pistol options? (For carry and target practice)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Got my little Kahr sent off to get dolled up with cerakote and am left carrying my first/original carry piece which is a heavy-as-a-brick 4566TSW. Great gun, but not the most ideal thing to carry concealed. (Though possible as I am doing it now).

A kind police officer once let me hold his Glock 19 in my hand when I was getting my LTCH stuff done, and it felt nice, though I've never shot one. I do like the grip angle on them as they seem a bit more slanted than normal and I think it feels good.

So, what I am sort of looking for is something that is polymer framed, SA/DA or DA only, don't really matter. Those are the only two I have experience with. I'm aware of my Glock, Springfield and Smith options, have browsed through and read info on those and understand people are generally quite happy with those options. Just curious what else is out there in 9mm or 45acp, polymer framed mid-to-full sized pistol that should be considered.

CZ? Walther?

Right now I'm liking the idea of either another Smith or a first Glock, so feel free to try to persuade me one way or another. I don't know anyone with either gun and we've got no place near here to 'rent' one at a range, so at best I can only pick each up and hold them in my hand at the LGS.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Good information on the M&P and Glocks along with pictures of how they fit the hand.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ll-arms-why-i-jumped-off-glock-bandwagon.html

Where are you located? I have several Glocks (19,21,30,30S) and both an M&P FS and M&P Pro you can try out if you are near Richmond. Also an indoor range membership to avoid the weather. There is a P9 in the herd if you start going through Kahr withdraw as well.

I've carried some form of Glock, usually the 19, since about 90. I tried the M&Pc when they first came out and had severe rust problems with it. It was traded for one of the Glocks in the house and I didn't give them a second look until a year of so ago. I decided to give the full size 9 another chance and picked one up. It fit my hand much better than the Glocks did. My wife agreed and shot the M&P better than her Glock 19 and it didn't bother her wrist like some of the others. She promptly confiscated it and I had to start looking for another one. I settled on the M&P Pro 5".

Within two months of owning the Pro it has had over 1200 rounds through it and has become my EDC gun pushing out 20 years of Glock carry.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Glock 17 or 19
    Smith & Wesson M&P full size 4.25"
    Walther PPQ 4"
    Springfield XDm 3.8 compact or 4.5" full size
    Ruger 9E or SR9 if you are looking for something a little less costly

Of the above choices I personally lean towards the Walther PPQ or Glock 19

UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    FN's FNS are the striker fired poly pistols I've been most impressed with. If you prefer hammer fired DA/SA their FNX is well worth looking at. On the other hand, with Glock factory mags, and ACT OEM M&P mags both available for $20 each those are hard options to argue against if you're going to shoot competitions and need a good supply of mags.

mwingeier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I say go big. Glock 17 for my first, shot the Glock 22 after my friend let me try his M&P at the range, and I got the iconic 17 the next day. I love the way it shoots and I carry it without any trouble IWB.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    FN's FNS are the striker fired poly pistols I've been most impressed with. If you prefer hammer fired DA/SA their FNX is well worth looking at. On the other hand, with Glock factory mags, and ACT OEM M&P mags both available for $20 each those are hard options to argue against if you're going to shoot competitions and need a good supply of mags.

This^^. While I think the ergonomics on the PPQ are fantastic (and the trigger goes without saying), a FNX might be an even better all around package. I'm impressed with them and it's on my short list.

H

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Glock 19 is a very good choice. 80% of the world's police forces carry either the Glock 17/19s for detectives OR the Glock 22/23 if you prefer 40 cal. Remember only 35 parts to a Glock.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This^^. While I think the ergonomics on the PPQ are fantastic (and the trigger goes without saying), a FNX might be an even better all around package. I'm impressed with them and it's on my short list.

H

Just curious Hohn. If the ergonomics and trigger on the PPQ are so good what makes the FNX a better overall package?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Of course you've got to go with what makes sense to you. But I've got to throw my vote in for the walther PPQ as well. People will say you shouldn't get one because of the mag prices, and then they'll stipple and do a grip reduction on their g19, then drop a $200 apex in it. I could buy a lot of expensive walther mags for that if I wanted. Great trigger, my two are very accurate, feels great in the hand, and is in that g19 size that just seems to work so well. Oh, and if you shop smartly, the mags aren't that bad, really. If you're in the Muncie area, PM me and I'll bring one over for you to try.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Of course you've got to go with what makes sense to you. But I've got to throw my vote in for the walther PPQ as well. People will say you shouldn't get one because of the mag prices, and then they'll stipple and do a grip reduction on their g19, then drop a $200 apex in it. I could buy a lot of expensive walther mags for that if I wanted. Great trigger, my two are very accurate, feels great in the hand, and is in that g19 size that just seems to work so well. Oh, and if you shop smartly, the mags aren't that bad, really. If you're in the Muncie area, PM me and I'll bring one over for you to try.

My wife picked up a new PPQ a few weeks ago. We have not even shot it yet. I have had a P99 since 2000 and have shot a couple different PPQs. Very impressive guns. I agree the size is just about perfect. Just a smidge bigger then a Glock 19 but more rounded so would conceal well. My only criticism of the PPQ is the plastic sights, Glock has those as well. I found 3 new magazines for $30 each so that is really not a point of contention. Holsters no problem. Its not like the P99 platform is not well proven so the pistol has that going for it as well.

I have owned Glocks for years and will remain a fan. Still Walther got it right with the P99 & PPQ.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    My wife picked up a new PPQ a few weeks ago. We have not even shot it yet. I have had a P99 since 2000 and have shot a couple different PPQs. Very impressive guns. I agree the size is just about perfect. Just a smidge bigger then a Glock 19 but more rounded so would conceal well. My only criticism of the PPQ is the plastic sights, Glock has those as well. I found 3 new magazines for $30 each so that is really not a point of contention. Holsters no problem. Its not like the P99 platform is not well proven so the pistol has that going for it as well.

I have owned Glocks for years and will remain a fan. Still Walther got it right with the P99 & PPQ.

Yep, I'm right there with you. I feel silly for not pointing that out. They are not the best sights. I do think they are a big improvement over factory glock sights, personally. And they can be easily adjusted for elevation. Still, there are definitely much better options on the aftermarket.

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    I loved my FNX 9, sold it for a FNS 9L, not really for carry but certainly a blast at the range. 9L is the 5" long slide version ;)
    Glad I have it and it's surely rewarding watching my m&p and glock buddies shoot a tighter group with it. Duh!

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    A kind police officer once let me hold his Glock 19 in my hand when I was getting my LTCH stuff done, and it felt nice, though I've never shot one. I do like the grip angle on them as they seem a bit more slanted than normal and I think it feels good.

I do not like Glock's for this reason, but if you do then go with it. Get a 19 and don't look back.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Glock 19 is a very good choice. 80% of the world's police forces carry either the Glock 17/19s for detectives OR the Glock 22/23 if you prefer 40 cal. Remember only 35 parts to a Glock.

I would like to see where you got this info. I'd not argue of you said 80% of the US Police force used Glocks but the world's I have to question.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    To the op look into the CZ P09 or P07 they are fantastic fullsize midsized poly guns for the money. The P07 is G19 sized but with better ergonomics and trigger.

Top Bottom