Might wanna go progressive.... And need tumbler suggestions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Ive loaded about 1000rds of 9mm on a single stage and i have the basics now. I want to upgrade to a progressive. I have a Lee single stage and i want to stay with Lee. Would you guys use the 3 turrett or 4 turrett set up? I plan on using the single stage to deprime and size. Then maybe the 3 turret for expanding/powder (pro auto disk measure), bullet seat, and bullet crimp. Im guessing a 3 turret will be what im wanting. I just wanted some reviews of what you guys like.

As for tumblers....frankford arsenal?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Ive loaded about 1000rds of 9mm on a single stage and i have the basics now. I want to upgrade to a progressive. I have a Lee single stage and i want to stay with Lee. Would you guys use the 3 turrett or 4 turrett set up? I plan on using the single stage to deprime and size. Then maybe the 3 turret for expanding/powder (pro auto disk measure), bullet seat, and bullet crimp. Im guessing a 3 turret will be what im wanting. I just wanted some reviews of what you guys like.

As for tumblers....frankford arsenal?

A turrett isn't exactly a progressive, but it's much faster than the single-stage. Why not do everything with a 4-die turrett press? You will waste a lot of time de-priming and sizing on the single stage. You can do both of those with one pull of the handle on the 4-die turrett press.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It is time for you to get a Pro1000. Mine is currently setup for 9mm. I am loading about 5,000 cases. To learn it, use it like you would any single stage.

Frankford arsenal are as good as any of them.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    A turrett isn't exactly a progressive, but it's much faster than the single-stage. Why not do everything with a 4-die turrett press? You will waste a lot of time de-priming and sizing on the single stage. You can do both of those with one pull of the handle on the 4-die turrett press.

Well i hate the lee priming system so i id like to use the hand prime. so i think itd save me time going the 3 route

It is time for you to get a Pro1000. Mine is currently setup for 9mm. I am loading about 5,000 cases. To learn it, use it like you would any single stage.

Frankford arsenal are as good as any of them.

Whats the difference between the pro1000 and a regular turret style?

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I use the Pro 1000 (3 hole) when I don't need to put a crimp on, such as for my Beretta 92's and 96's. They seem to do just fine. I use my Loadmaster for rounds that I crimp, such as .45 ACP and .30 carbine. I really like my 1000, but it would be great to be able to crimp on it.

Another option is an auto index. I just changed my three hole press to auto indexing four hole for $27. I have to place the primers in the seat, and the bullet on the case, but I really enjoy it. Not as many screw ups.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    As far as tumblers go, I've ran thousands and thousands of spent brass through my RCBS tumbler I picked up from Midway USA. I honestly have no idea of the number of hours it's ran but it's been a bunch. Lyman makes a good one, too. Just remember to get a bottle of polish, like Fitz or something and it'll make that brass shine.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Well i hate the lee priming system so i id like to use the hand prime. so i think itd save me time going the 3 route

Whats the difference between the pro1000 and a regular turret style?

You hate the Lee priming system, but if I'm correct the single stage presses are totally different than the priming system on the turrets.
    You buy a turret, get the 4 hole. you're loading the pistol cartridges and if you're using the FCD's you'll want the extra hole on the 4 hole turret.

I own the 4 hole turret and am well over 50k on it.

Que had it right on about buying the 4 hole and the time wasted sizing and priming on the single stage vs doing it all on the turret.

The difference between the Pro 1000 and a turret is the pro 1000 is a progressive and the turret is 1 round at a time.
    Draw back to the pro 1000 is its caliber specific.
    I had a pro 1000 in 223 and sent it back to Lee, it just wasn't up to snuff on what I was looking for. I had more problems than I did good rounds thru it. I messed with it for weeks and finally gave up.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    You guys were right. I looked into the priming system of a progressive and it isnt anything like what i thought it was. I dont plan on hand priming if i go progressive, which i plan on doing. I looked into it and turret isnt really much of an upgrade i dont think. As of right now i think i want to go with the 3 hole Lee Pro 1000. I like that its simple and functionalbe. Then i can just run all my rounds through the FCD of my single stage. If that makes sense

Ive heard a lot of mixed reviews of the Pro 1000 but i read that if you know what your doing and you set it up right then it goes smoothly. Anybody on here have personal expierence with it?

As for tumblers...i think im gonna stick with the Frankford Arsenal just for cost sakes. That and a thing of polish. What kind of polish do you guys like? Corn Cob or Walnut Media?

I noticed that the pro kit is 150 bucks and just the press is 98. I am wanting the 4 hole setup so would it be cheaper if i bought just the press then everything else i need seperate?

Last edited:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I get flamed every time I post a warning about the Lee Pro-1000 but my experience was a nightmare. Buy once and cry once, save your money and go with a Hornady if you want a progressive. I have a lot of Lee products and have loaded thousands and thousands of rounds using their dies and powder hoppers but I just can't get behind their progressive presses. Their single-stage and turret presses are great but I did a friend a disservice by not telling them about my bad experience and it cost them some headaches (see user 2 posts about this...sorry msd!)

I recently came by a Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive and the difference between the 2 more than justifies the price increase.

Good luck and let us know what you get!

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    I bought a tumbler from harbor freight. Works great no issues. I also picked up 25# fine walnut media too. With a 20% off coupon everything was less than $85
    So far ran 9mm, 40sw, 5.56, 308, and 458 socom.

Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    I get flamed every time I post a warning about the Lee Pro-1000 but my experience was a nightmare. Buy once and cry once, save your money and go with a Hornady if you want a progressive. I have a lot of Lee products and have loaded thousands and thousands of rounds using their dies and powder hoppers but I just can't get behind their progressive presses. Their single-stage and turret presses are great but I did a friend a disservice by not telling them about my bad experience and it cost them some headaches (see user 2 posts about this...sorry msd!)

I recently came by a Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive and the difference between the 2 more than justifies the price increase.

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS OR DILLON EITHER WAY^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If you like Lee, and want a progressive then go with the Lee Loadmaster. (5-hole turrets) Avoid the Pro-100. I've never had a priming problem on my Loadmaster - except for the time when I purposely let the primer tray go empty just to see what would happen. The Pro AutoDisk (comes in the kit) doesn't like Unique at all, but works very well with Universal and the Accurate pistol powders. But that's just fine with me because I hate Unique too.

Natchez has the best overall prices that I can find ($20 less than Midway), and on the accessories, like extra turrets, large/small primer changeover parts, etc. Great customer service too.

If you load something other than 9mm get the kit for that other caliber since you already have 9mm dies. The new kit will come with dies and a priming setup (either small or large).

Get the following:
    Universal Decapping Die (or two, so you can leave one on you 9mm turret)
    Rifle Charging Die
    Extra Turret(s)
    Extra Shell Plates
    Another Pro Auto Disk (so you can leave your high volume 9mm set up on the turret for 9mm)
    A large/small priming changeover kit (forgot the exact name)
    A case coallator (I don't think it comes in the kit)
    An extra bin or two.

You might also want to get the Factory Crimp Dies for the calibers you reload. I do just to make setup a tad easier on revolver rounds. I have not found the need for them on auto pistol cartridges.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I bought a tumbler from harbor freight. Works great no issues. I also picked up 25# fine walnut media too. With a 20% off coupon everything was less than $85
    So far ran 9mm, 40sw, 5.56, 308, and 458 socom.

I did the same for a tumbler, it has lasted me 2 years and thousands of cases.
    I looked at both the Hornady and Dillon presses, ended up going with the Dillon.:ar15:

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS OR DILLON EITHER WAY^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

These responses are the same as mine. I went the Lee route and, while decent for the money, are NO comparison to Hornady or, my preference, Dillon. I wish I had bitten the bullet on the Dillon to begin with.

Normally I'd say that if you were on the fence about whether reloading was for you or not, buy a cheaper Lee and give it a try. In your case, however, you have already discovered you like the reloading so I'd recommend moving away from Lee. But that's just my :twocents:...

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Just saw 3 ac motors with pulleys already attached yesterday at auction go for 15 bucks...shouldve pulled the trigger.

As far as tumblers go, I'm making one, that way if I burn out the motor I can fix it with one of my extras.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Thanks for all the great posts guys. Its definetly made me do some thinking. I looked at the Dillon and the Hornady and i just cant justify paying that much for a press. I do like to reload alot but i dont shoot as much as i can. Im on a college kids budget right now and figured i could put out 150 bucks but pushing into the 300+ range isnt possible for me. I would really like to get those presses because i know they work. Maybe ill just stick to single stage until i can afford something better? And as of right now all i reload is 9mm, i shoot steel cased in my AR just because of cost and saves my hassle reloading for it.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I have an old 3 hole Lee turret and am still happy with it. Not real fast but does the job. A couple of things, 1) Go to petco and buy lizzard litter for tumbling media. It is ground walnut shells at a big savings. 2) If you decide to shoot lead 9mm don't waste your money on the Lee FCD. It will swage your bullets and you have a nightmare trying to figure out what went woring. (Don't ask me how I kow this) 3) There are all kinds of upgrades for the turret press. I have upgraded a lot of mine and haven't figured if I am getting close to the price of Hornady or Dillon press. I really do not want to know. That being said an upgrade is in my future.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for all the great posts guys. Its definetly made me do some thinking. I looked at the Dillon and the Hornady and i just cant justify paying that much for a press. I do like to reload alot but i dont shoot as much as i can. Im on a college kids budget right now and figured i could put out 150 bucks but pushing into the 300+ range isnt possible for me. I would really like to get those presses because i know they work. Maybe ill just stick to single stage until i can afford something better? And as of right now all i reload is 9mm, i shoot steel cased in my AR just because of cost and saves my hassle reloading for it.

So, you like to load. Also, you are on a budget. Staying with what you have would be the best option.

Unless something unforseen happens in my life, I don't think I will ever have anything other than what I have now ( RCBS Rock Chucker and Lee Turret). I simply enjoy loading too much and I only allow myself x amount of dollars a month on loading components. I know just how pissed I'd be burning thru what I had then have nothing to load, especially in months of cold weather where I usually rely on loading to get my fix.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Being on a budget that tight, go with the lee 4 hole turret. you can load about 100-150rds per hr on it. Plus you can get the auto disk powder measure, and not have to weigh the charge.
    Go to lees website you can get extra turrets $9 ea, $5.00 shipping. You might even be able to get a reconditioned turret for about $65. the Auto Disk powder measure for $22

Top Bottom