Might wanna go progressive.... And need tumbler suggestions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    I agree with msd if your on a budget get the 4 hole Lee turret, i have one an its great for the money, i just loaded 600 .223 tonight on it and it only took me a couple hrs.

Also you say you dont want to hassle with .223 so you shoot cheap steel case, but if you research it you can reload brass .223 for cheaper than the steel case. And if you buy the turret you can spend $9 and buy an extra 4 hole top mount and you can switch between the 2 calibers in about 2 seconds. I am in no way an expert, i just started out so im just giving my opinion on what i bought and how affordable it was and how easy it is to use :D

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Keep loading on the single stage and save your money. When you do step up, buy a Dillon. You said you don't shoot a lot, so don't be in a rush. When you buy the Dillon it will be for your lifetime or when you no longer care to reload - whichever is less.

Some good advice on progressives here (where I bought mine) - Dillon Precision Reloading Press Reviews

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Being on a budget that tight, go with the lee 4 hole turret.

I agree with msd if your on a budget get the 4 hole Lee turret, i have one an its great for the money, i just loaded 600 .223 tonight on it and it only took me a couple hrs.

I would agree that the turret is a cheap way to go for someone who might only load a couple calibers or someone who doesn't mind moving the powder measure from one turret to another.

For someone who loads many calibers and adds the Pro auto disc to each turret, the cost can add up very quick...

I have 12 turrets set up with the (4) die sets and a pro auto disc powder measure on each. I bet I have $70.00 per turret set-up. 12 x 70 = $840.00...

I love the turret and I justified the cost of adding all the addition tooling because I was fairly confident I was going to stick with it. Also, it wasn't like I bought all the calibers at once. Anyone who loads multiply calibers, better think real hard before jumping into the turret just because it appears cheap.

Keep loading on the single stage and save your money. When you do step up, buy a Dillon. You said you don't shoot a lot, so don't be in a rush. When you buy the Dillon it will be for your lifetime or when you no longer care to reload - whichever is less.

Some good advice on progressives here (where I bought mine) - Dillon Precision Reloading Press Reviews

The op continuing on using his current single stage is great advice... I just don't know if he'd be better off due to his financial circumstances to save in the meantime or if he'd be better off building up a little bit of a stock pile of components before they take the next price jump...

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    The op continuing on using his current single stage is great advice... I just don't know if he'd be better off due to his financial circumstances to save in the meantime or if he'd be better off building up a little bit of a stock pile of components before they take the next price jump...

What would you consider to be the best option? Stockpile some components or buy a 4 hole turret?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What would you consider to be the best option? Stockpile some components or buy a 4 hole turret?

If funds are as limited as I gather from your posts, I would definitely stay with the single stage and try to build up a small stockpile of components. What good would a faster press be if a person didn't have much on hand.

As a added bonus, staying with the single stage for now will also buy you more time to study more and make the right decision. Last thing you would want to do is buy the wrong thing and have to " update " once again. Up to this point, you have done well. Even if you decide on the Dillion down the road, you will find reasons to keep your single stage on the bench... The turret however, I wouldn't be so sure you could justify keeping it on the bench if you ultimately end up buying a true progressive.

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    I would look at stockpiling some components and then saving for the progressive at a later date. If you decide to make the jump to a progressive, a Dillon or a Hornady LNL would be my choices. The Lee turret is a good press, but If I was going to invest more money in a press, I would go with a progressive.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Looks like ill stock up on ammo components until january. extra school loans come in so ill just use it on gun stuff ;)

Sounds like a great idea. Can never have too many on hand and it will also give you more time to do more research.

If you add a quantity of primers, you might think ahead and see what the progressive loaders recommend. I'm not familiar with the progressives but would question if I should stay away from some of the more sensitive primers...

Top Bottom