Not open for further replies.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    "TEAvengelists?"
    Well, apparently some bigotry is okay and even good, while other types, even if totally hypothetical and fanciful, is bad.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    "TEAvengelists?"
    Well, apparently some bigotry is okay and even good, while other types, even if totally hypothetical and fanciful, is bad.

TEAvangelicals. If you're going to quote it at least get it right. It's a very descriptive word for a very specific kind of agenda pusher here in Indiana. I can't claim credit for it, though. It came from elsewhere. It's hardly bigoted, either. Just descriptive. Sorry if you think you fall under that umbrella.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Kutnupe, apparently you have forgotten that this law basically replicates the federal RFRA, which has been in effect since 1993. I'm guessing (Hobby Lobby) that the Supreme Court has already ruled on it, and they upheld it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    TEAvangelicals. If you're going to quote it at least get it right. It's a very descriptive word for a very specific kind of agenda pusher here in Indiana. I can't claim credit for it, though. It came from elsewhere. It's hardly bigoted, either. Just descriptive. Sorry if you think you fall under that umbrella.

Oh, I knew it came from elsewhere, more than likely DailyKooks, MoonbatsMoveOn, DemocrapUnderground, or AlterStatesNet.
    I wouldn't expect you to come up with a single thing that was a totally original thought, even if the term is so buzzowordy as to be pathetically laughable.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Oh, I knew it came from elsewhere, more than likely DailyKooks, MoonbatsMoveOn, DemocrapUnderground, or AlterStatesNet.
    I wouldn't expect you to come up with a single thing that was a totally original thought, even if the term is so buzzowordy as to be pathetically laughable.

Nope. Came from an individual right here in Indiana. Sorry you didn't understand it, though. They should cover it next year when you return to middle school.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kutnupe, apparently you have forgotten that this law basically replicates the federal RFRA, which has been in effect since 1993. I'm guessing (Hobby Lobby) that the Supreme Court has already ruled on it, and they upheld it.

If it's called the RFRA, it doesn't make a difference who did it first, second, or at what level.... it's a law respecting the establishment of religion and is verboten according to the constitution. If this is going to fly, it should be re-worded to indicate "beliefs," to allow non-religious entities the same right.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Nope. Came from an individual right here in Indiana. Sorry you didn't understand it, though. They should cover it next year when you return to middle school.
    Don't be so hard on oldpink. Sometimes it's a challenge to keep up with the smartest person on INGO.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    :popcorn:

It's funny that some of the same people who argued against the "parking lot law" (they own the property, they make the rules) are now arguing against this law (they own the property, but we have to force them to serve everyone).

:popcorn:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If it's called the RFRA, it doesn't make a difference who did it first, second, or at what level.... it's a law respecting the establishment of religion and is verboten according to the constitution. If this is going to fly, it should be re-worded to indicate "beliefs," to allow non-religious entities the same right.
    Supreme Court upheld the law. If you want to go with the Bill of Rights: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, OR PROHIBITING THE FREE EXERCISE THEREOF; . . . "(emphasis mine). If you want to go with: there should be no laws that have anything to do with helping or hindering any religious practice whatsoever, then I can agree with you. But that also means that government can't tell an individual he must do (or not do) anything that touches his "religion", whether that be an established "religion" or merely a deeply held belief like "a-theism" or "humanism" or "global warming is manmade." But be that as it may, the Supreme Court says RFRA is acceptable law, and Indiana law doesn't differ to any great degree, as far as I can tell.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

And what does the U.S. Constitution, precisely, say about this?

I don't recall it saying, "The Indiana Legislature shall make no law..."

I think the actual wording is something more like, "Congress shall make no law..."

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What does the U.S. Constitution, precisely, say about this? I don't recall it saying, "The Indiana Legislature shall make no law..."

I think the actual wording is more like, "Congress shall make no law..."

You are exactly right. And truth be told, this law WOULD be kosher if applied as originally envisioned by the founders (IMO). However this has been incorporated (as are the rest of the BoRs), and is thus uniformly applied to the states. If you disagree, then you are essentially of the belief the states can regulate firearms, just as long as the federal govt does not.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

No, it's not. That's not what the 1st Amendment is about. This is a common mistake in understanding. It was about the federal government not making the Anglican Church, the Methodists, the Presbytarians, Human Seclarists, Wiccans, or Church of Cannibis the official religion of the country. Then the second part of that was the federal government was not to enact laws to prevent the exercise of your chosen religion.

It's a freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No, it's not. That's not what the 1st Amendment is about. This is a common mistake in understanding. It was about the federal government not making the Anglican Church, the Methodists, the Presbytarians, Human Seclarists, Wiccans, or Church of Cannibis the official religion of the country. Then the second part of that was the federal government was not to enact laws to prevent the exercise of your chosen religion.

It's a freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.

Yes, that's EXACTLY what it is. It's specifically extending a right to a religious entity.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yes, that's EXACTLY what it is. It's specifically extending a right to a religious entity.

People keep saying that. It's simply not true. It's not extending any particular right to any specific religious entity. It's protecting all religious entities.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    People keep saying that. It's simply not true. It's not extending any particular right to any specific religious entity. It's protecting all religious entities.

That I am in agreement with.... but what about non-religious entities, are they covered by this legislation?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I see a difference.

Wonder if we can get the law changed to simply state that no person or business can be sued for refusing to provide a service for any reason they feel prudent? If it's an employee (private or public) they employer can have whatever policy they'd like so they could fire an employee if they wanted to and public employees could be restricted from denying services by policy. Which special interest group might that offend?

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That I am in agreement with.... but what about non-religious entities, are they covered by this legislation?

What this was intended to do is guide the courts, when making 1st Amendment related decisions, that they are to follow strict scrutiny of the amendment in arriving at their decisions. It is about restraining the government from infringing on one of our core constitutional rights.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom