• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RandomCubed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    So at dinner tonight, I was telling my father in law about a recent trip to the range. My mother in law perked up her ears and launched into how she wants a handgun. But doesn't know what she wants. And when am I going to take her to the range?
    Ok, so what do I tell her? I really think everyone's first gun should be a revolver and I really think that caliber doesn't matter for learning so much as safety instruction.
    I have a GP100 and I think it would suite her fine, I am loathe to steer her toward something like my P229.
    Looking for input from the community.

Thanks

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Tell her not to buy, till she's learned safety and has shot a few different ones. That way, she at least knows what she's looking at/for.

You don't let a 5 year old pick out their car, do you?

Revolvers are nice, but I didn't even shoot one till I was 44.
    Depends on how well she handles herself. Is she aware of her surroundings?
    Is she good with machinery?
    The revolver is nice, because you can start with light loads. Maybe a .38 special, with target loads. Then move up.
    When she's comfortable, start with a 9mm auto.
    If you don't have these, make friends with someone who does.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Revolvers are a solid gun, but so are many autos as well. For a first time shooting a handgun, .22 is best to get anyone used to shooting, without as much noise and recoil. As far as revolver vs. auto, why not let her decide. My wife took a few years to warm up to revolvers. Her first handgun was an auto, and after a little practice, was quite proficient with it. Handgun choice is a very personal decision, the best choice for one person may be exactly the opposite of what the next might be comfortable with. Get her hands on as many options as possible, and answer any questions that come up as best you can. Let the end user make the call as to what is best for them.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    So at dinner tonight, I was telling my father in law about a recent trip to the range. My mother in law perked up her ears and launched into how she wants a handgun. But doesn't know what she wants. And when am I going to take her to the range?
    Ok, so what do I tell her? I really think everyone's first gun should be a revolver and I really think that caliber doesn't matter for learning so much as safety instruction.
    I have a GP100 and I think it would suite her fine, I am loathe to steer her toward something like my P229.
    Looking for input from the community.

Thanks
    Just out of curiosity why do you think everyone's first gun should be a revolver? I ask because, My uncle was asking me about getting a handgun for himself the last family gathering. He asked what I recommended, I told him it depends on what he is using it for, what he wants to do with it, how he plans to carry it or store it etc.. Strange thing is he has a Carry permit.. Still no gun yet...

But I would tell the individual lets go to the gun range rent some guns. See what your good at shooting, what fits in the hand right etc...Pretty much what i told my uncle.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Take her to the range, show her the rules, and let her shoot a variety of handguns. Start her with something low-recoil, but let her shoot a few wrist breakers too. Take note of which ones she operates well, and which ones she likes.

RandomCubed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Haha, yeah I'm on good terms with her.

I'm not necessarily advocating a revolver but her primary purpose is home defense, a shelf gun if you will.

I kinda want to recommend a p-64 makarov, with that heavy heavy DA pull it makes using it a very deliberate action.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Haha, yeah I'm on good terms with her.

I'm not necessarily advocating a revolver but her primary purpose is home defense, a shelf gun if you will.

I kinda want to recommend a p-64 makarov, with that heavy heavy DA pull it makes using it a very deliberate action.

I would steer clear of making recommendations. She is an adult and can make her own mind up. What I would do is just take her somewhere that she can try out the different calibers and manufacturers and let her choose for herself. Also, ensure she has the basics of gun safety down, I don't appreciate being swept by the trained and educated, if someone uneducated swept me...I'd be much less pleased.

Once she's narrowed it down to a caliber or manufacturer then I'd say you'd be ok to start making recommendations. Remember, she's probably getting older and may have many more things to worry about health wise and a heavy gun and/or heavy trigger may not suit her.

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    Give her options, not recommendations. Make her a part of the selection process. Educate her to the different potential solutions, tell her a honest evaluation of those products, understanding (both you and her) that it is your opinion. Take her to the stores, have her hold the gun. It is a lot more than just buying a gun; you are asking her to buy something that could potentially protect her life. Let her feel attached to the purchase, and she will forever be attached to the idea. Force a gun on her, and she may never like it or appreciate the value. Just my opinion...

Gibster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Boone County
    I've found that the lack of hand strength in women to be the most limiting factor when it comes to semi-autos. They just can't jack in the first round on anything larger than a .380.

Revolvers are easier for them to handle in this respect. Just load it and it's ready to go.

She will just have to handle and shoot some herself to see what see is most comfortable with first.

Using a handgun, when the need for personal protection arises, has to be almost automatic without thinking about how to handle the gun. This only comes from a practice and more practice routine in order to reach the proper level of comfort and expertise.

Be sure your MIL really likes you. Maybe you'll bond to the smell of burnt powder.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Wow, that added to the discussion....:dunno:

lightenupfrancis.jpg

:D:D:D

tmf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2012
    My MIL carries a LCP everyday. It fits even in the smallest of clutch (with a pocket holster of course) and she got one in pink!

Top Bottom