• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deadeye(+)

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2015
    Bainbridge
    Hey guys. Been making knives for a few years and I have a good friend possibly shipping out overseas this year. I'm looking to build him a combat knife that puts what you can buy off the shelf to shame. Looking for design ideas as well as any other input as far as materials go. So far I've figured on a blade style similar to a the Gerber LHR. Maybe using 5160. Going with a ceracoat in the end. Carbon fiber scales and a kydex sheath. Looking for opinions on anything here. Very important build to me as it's going to aid one of the men defending this country. While it may not save anyone's life I know my knife has got me out of a pinch of two before. So any opinions you guys could give me are very much appreciated. Thanks!

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Skip the carbon fiber scales.......they are cosmetically cool, but I would go with a scale material like G-10 or linen micarta for better grip and durability. The knife is not going to be a museum piece, it's actually going to be used in the field, and possibly under extreme conditions. Keep in mind that this will be a tool. Keep your design simple and practical.....going over the top with the blade profile and the ergonomics of the handle usually leads to a less than practical/useful tool. Functionality and durability/toughness should be the major emphasis in your design/build. :twocents:

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Simpler is better.
    Don't make it so thick and strong that it won't cut well.
    Agreed with Brad on the handle material. G10 or micarta will serve better.

An ESEE 6 would be a good starting point for a design.

Top Bottom