Military Machine Guns: M60 or 240B? What was your favorite in the Army?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billybob44_Jr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    Southern, IN/Louisvi
    I carried both (for miles and miles) while serving in the 101st. There was something about the mechanical 'chug-chug-chug' of the M60, but the 240B was unbelievably accurate...if you had a good gun team! If you served and spent some time cleaning/shooting/road marching with one...what was your favorite? :popcorn:

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    When I waswith 1/75 Ranger BT, we started with the M60 and tranitioned to the mag 240g. The 240 was heavier, longer, and fired at a higher rate. Due to having to hump the ammo around and it being a heavier gun, I preferred the M60. I wish we had movedto the lighter M60E, whih we tried and liked. Obviously, you may hve avdifferent opinion if you had the gun mounted.

billybob44_Jr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    Southern, IN/Louisvi
    The M60 seemed like it was easier to clean and carry, but to me the 240B was amazing on accuracy. 900 rounds a minute...my other ammo guy was carrying more weight on his ruck than I was! I wasn't a U.S. Army Ranger, but had buddies in the 75th....I learned real quick that Rangers lead the way! (Ranger badged Squad Leader back in 1997 spent time in Somolia and lost a squad member. He was with 10th Mtn. Division at the time.)

Marksman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    NWI
    I was the platoon firing guinea pig, went to every range they had and was even lucky to go to the German range (got silver)...of topic.
    I didn't have to carry the 60 or 240 but prefer to shoot the 240.

billybob44_Jr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    Southern, IN/Louisvi
    (Ranger badged Squad Leader back in 1997 spent time in Somalia and lost a squad member. He was with 10th Mtn. Division at the time.)

I meant that he spent time in Somalia back in '93 after the Black Hawk Down incident. He told me about it in 1997 while we pulled guard in Saudi out in the middle of nowhere.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I never carried either, but have shot both, and like the M60 better. The 240s ROF is a little fast for my liking on a belt fed. That said, I did carry a SAW, and no matter how much everyone else hated them, I have a soft spot in my heart for them, and they are very reliable when proper maintinance, and a WHOLE LOTTA lube is applied.

wolfeden

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Medaryville
    The M60 has always been my weapon of choice. Spent many a thousands of rounds through one. I even had my serial number memorized. Always requested my M60 by number. Would not except any other.
    I really miss that ole girl. I always felt safe when I carried it. It seemed no matter how far away you were, I could hit you in less then 3 shots. I have witnesses to back that up.

pipelinen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Demotte
    Well I was never in the military but for around the house I prefer the M60 in either the E3 or E4 configuration. Now thats only because I don't own a 240 but I do have it on my list of things to buy before I die.:ar15:

30nhfo0.jpg

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    I have shot and carried both...I have liked the 60 since the movie Rambo, and Loved the 60 since Basic training! 240 is a better built mg though.

billybob44_Jr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    Southern, IN/Louisvi
    I absolutely agree about the SAW. I remember my Squad Leader telling me that I was going to be the 1/187th btn A co. 2nd Platoon 2nd squad SAW gunner....He handed me the gun and I had no idea what to do with it. The ammo drum/bag that loaded under it was a pain in the ass, and I really didn't find it very accurate at the time. It was as hard to clean as an M60, but...not an M60. I remember M60 gunners in my unit laughing at me at my little machine gun. At the time...I was 19 years old..and I really didn't give the weapon a chance. Once I figured out how accurate and deadly it was with live ammo...I was more than happy to carry it instead of an M4 or M16 or even a M203.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I shot on the All-Army team in '93 with the M-60. I really loved that weapon, but I understand that it was nothing but a hodge-podge of parts put together. The 240B (MAG 58) was a combat tested design that the US govt. should have went with in the first place.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Wasn't in the military but have plenty of familiarity with mil weapons and have used many while on work assignments with mil units. I have to say that after doing some very extensive testing on a platform involving the M240 and the MK48, I MUCH prefer the MK48. Even the M240L is a heavy pig. The MK48 is short & light but still easy to manage. If I could have any machine-gun, no budget, I'd still choose the MK48, even over a M134 (shot those too).

:twocents:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I was in from 85-94 and carried an M60 until 92 when 2ID support units transitioned to the SAW. I hated the saw. It wasn't any lighter and it was mechanically more complicated.
    I may not have been able to run 2 miles worth crap for the pt test, but I kicked butt on many 12 mile road marches carrying both the M60 and the SAW.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I've never had the pleasure of shooting a 240B, but being a Gunners Mate in the Navy and a member of the boarding party we got to practice with the M60 quite a bit (along with a few other arms) for small boat attack drills. It kinda had a sound of it's own.:D

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    First of all, thank you all, for your service !!!!! I never had to "hump" one, Motor T, and Supply.... I made sure you had food, clothing, beans, and bullets... I shot both the Ma deuce, and the M-60... Love them both... :yesway:

Top Bottom