• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • infidel15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    I'm looking into the military I've looked into marine sniper and flight master but now I'm kinda interested in being a marine medic. Does any one know how difficult it is, the drop out rate, the back ground knowledge needed. Basically the general information and links to some good websites for information similar to this.:patriot:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I'm looking into the military I've looked into marine sniper and flight master but now I'm kinda interested in being a marine medic. Does any one know how difficult it is, the drop out rate, the back ground knowledge needed. Basically the general information and links to some good websites for information similar to this.:patriot:
    I thought the Marine Corps did not have Medics, but used Navy Corpsman... :popcorn:

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    One of my brother's close friends was a Navy corpsman who deployed with Marines and got out a year or two ago. PM me with any questions and I'll pass them along, if you'd like.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Being a Medic or Corpsman is certainly an honorable MOS. Maybe the MOST honorable MOS.

I could never do it because I don't have what it takes. I know I am not good enough or tough enough.

That is all I know about it.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    I thought the Marine Corps did not have Medics, but used Navy Corpsman... :popcorn:

That is correct, since the U.S. Marine Corps is a Department of the Navy, we use Navy Corpsman. Many Corpsman are selected to do FMF (Fleet Marine Force) duty and get to hang with many different Marine units, whether it a ground unit (grunts, arti, motor-t, etc) or airwing (fix/rotorary wing pilots, mechanics, glorified computer nerds). If you went Navy Corpsman, you would do boot camp at Great Lakes, then continue to Corpsman School at Great Lakes. If you get attached to a ground unit, say grunts, you would likely train with them and have to do every they do, but your main concern is their health. If you get attached to an Air Wing, you'd have a pretty easy job, but still not bad. But then of course you still will have to deal with Navy personell as well, and may never be attached to a FMF.

If you go Army, their bootcamp is Ft. Lenoradwood, MO (I think) and then I believe their medic school is in Georgia. They get Ground/Air units as well.

I do believe the Air Force has Medics as well, but I'm not terribly familiar with the Air Force and where they train.

If you do go be a medic or Corpsman, be warned now, you'll see lots of nasty s*^t. Not only will you deal with different wounds, vaccinations, drawing blood, etc. You get to give Marines, Seaman, Soldiers, Airman STD tests! My doc at Great Lakes, said he's seen one of my fellow Marines privates more times than he cares to remember! So fair warning.

The nice thing is that you're much like a nurse/EMT/Paramedic smashed into one, so its lots of great training if you want to get into the medical field.

It may not be as glorified as being a sniper or being part of a flight command, i.e. Crew Chief of a Helicopter, but is an extremely vital part of our military. Good Luck with whatever you decide. :patriot:

Are you thinking Active or Reserves?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Just remember the medics are often the most targeted people in a battle situation. Though they are not supposed to be.

I was going to be a navy corps nurse, but they didn't want me. They prefered I go into another job. I passed. But there was that 25k sign on bonus at that time, plus tuition repayment. I just don't think I could have stood to be on a boat for 18 months before I could pick any base to finish the career :-(

A medic in the military is a good choice, but the civvy certs don't carry over I don't believe. Also, EMTs and medics are getting hours cut and replaced by cross over firefighters/medics in some places.

I'm not trying to dissuade, but to help see post military life, unless you intend to make a career in the service.

I was turned off by our local recruiters blowing me off because of 20 lbs overweight and my specialty.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Just remember the medics are often the most targeted people in a battle situation. Though they are not supposed to be.
    Sometimes they are, it can happen, but its more rare that a doc get targeted, as they're hard to determine who is one in combat. Most docs nowadays get killed from performing duties along side combat soldiers.

I was going to be a navy corps nurse, but they didn't want me. They prefered I go into another job. I passed. But there was that 25k sign on bonus at that time, plus tuition repayment. I just don't think I could have stood to be on a boat for 18 months before I could pick any base to finish the career :-(

Its Navy Corpsman, not nurse. I love poking fun of the Navy all the time, but, but Corpsmans I will not, I've met many many hard chargers that have huges balls to do what they do.

Also, when you go afloat, its for 6 month deployments, unless you go to a war zone, in which you won't see a boat in Afganistan.

A medic in the military is a good choice, but the civvy certs don't carry over I don't believe. Also, EMTs and medics are getting hours cut and replaced by cross over firefighters/medics in some places.

Civilian cert may not "offically" carry over, but you can enlist as an E2 with college credits or other certs that carry in. But they will not replace any training you'd get in Medic/Corpsman School. You're right, most departments are have been cross training Firefighters as EMTs/Paramedics. But for gaining experience in the medical profession(EMT/Paramedics/Nursing, etc) its time is priceless

I'm not trying to dissuade, but to help see post military life, unless you intend to make a career in the service.

I was turned off by our local recruiters blowing me off because of 20 lbs overweight and my specialty.

Most recuriters are trying to either tell you what you want to hear or they need to fill a job, so they'll try to push you to something else, it all depends of the ASVAB scores. If you score really high, but want a low score job, they won't let you take it, they'll push you into a higher job.
    And 20lbs is nothing, I know USMC recuriters will work with you to get the weight down. I've seen people lose 40lbs+ with recuriters assisting and go to booty camp. So, its luck of the draw for recruiters...

Sorry for rambling....

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    D1036.jpg

:rockwoot::patriot:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If you go Army, their bootcamp is Ft. Lenoradwood, MO (I think) and then I believe their medic school is in Georgia. They get Ground/Air units as well.

nope, they can do Basic in one of several places. (Leonardwood, Jackson, Sill)

Army Combat Medic Training is held at Fort Sam Houton, near San Antonio Texas.

I married an Army medic while stationed there in the 90's and have a son in training to be one at Fort Sam now.

He later plans to put in his packet to be an 18D - Special Forces Medical SGT.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    nope, they can do Basic in one of several places.

Army Combat Medic Training is held at Fort Sam Houton, near San Antonio Texas.

I married an Army medic while stationed there in the 90's and have a son in training to be one at Fort Sam now.

He later plans to put in his packet to be an 18D - Special Forces Medical SGT.

I thought so, but wasn't 100% sure. Thank you for the correction.

Thank you for your service! And God Bless your son for serving, I wish him well! :patriot:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

Recruiters can finally be picky. The military is way over strength and cuts are being forced on all the branches.

You come in 20 pounds over, they don't have to bother with you any more, the have LOTS of people in shape and ready to go and everyone is trying to join because of the economy.

While my son was waiting to ship and working out with the recruiters, I saw them sending kids home who came in looking like rag bags wearing flip flops and shorts.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    Recruiters can finally be picky. The military is way over strength and cuts are being forced on all the branches.

You come in 20 pounds over, they don't have to bother with you any more, the have LOTS of people in shape and ready to go and everyone is trying to join because of the economy.

While my son was waiting to ship and working out with the recruiters, I saw them sending kids home who came in looking like rag bags wearing flip flops and shorts.

We are currently VERY picky, which sucks for us but between budget and strength cutbacks as well as people not wanting to get out we don't have enough slots to enlist people into, so we've tightened up requirements.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington

The funny thing is that the ideal weight is flawed. They have mine at 180. I weighed 180 in 8th grade. Senior year I was 220 with less than 5% body fat.

Their miscalculation of BMI was awful. O well :-) I got two kids and a wife by not deploying.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Its Navy Corpsman, not nurse. I love poking fun of the Navy all the time, but, but Corpsmans I will not, I've met many many hard chargers that have huges balls to do what they do.

Unless things have changed tremendously since I retired you would be hard pressed to hear a Marine talk **** about "Doc".

aronhubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    My dad was a Corpsmans in the Vietnam era. I've asked him repeatedly about his experiences, but about the only thing he says is he got a lot of drinks bought for him on leave, and that "Marines are *crazy*."

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The funny thing is that the ideal weight is flawed. They have mine at 180. I weighed 180 in 8th grade. Senior year I was 220 with less than 5% body fat.

Their miscalculation of BMI was awful. O well :-) I got two kids and a wife by not deploying.
    Two kids and wife in one four year term, I think I'd almost rather deploy;)

:laugh::laugh:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008

Im not sure what branch you are referring to. But the Marine Corps uses Navy Pilot standards and just applies those to every Marine. You can get a wavier by having the Navy Docs do your BMI and sending in pictures of yourself to the USMC HQ. I knew a lot of body builders that did that in the Corps. But you have to stay on top of it. The Marine Corps has weigh ins for everybody constantly. Most of the units I was in put you on a extra duty exercise program if you got to within 5lbs of your max weight. And believe me no wants to do more physical training on top of what is already required.

Top Bottom