• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the great replies everyone. I'm glad that I've got reasonable pricing in my head , and that the rifles I'm looking at seem to be good choices overall.

Really I know I'm going to end up with the rifle that feels and looks the best from the choices I have at the show (unless they are all simply terrible) so we'll just have to see what happens.

I have a new question though, is 'Bore Light" something specific or will a nice bright LED flashlight do the trick? If no any suggestions on a good one?

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Thanks for all the great replies everyone. I'm glad that I've got reasonable pricing in my head , and that the rifles I'm looking at seem to be good choices overall.

Really I know I'm going to end up with the rifle that feels and looks the best from the choices I have at the show (unless they are all simply terrible) so we'll just have to see what happens.

I have a new question though, is 'Bore Light" something specific or will a nice bright LED flashlight do the trick? If no any suggestions on a good one?

Maglight makes a cheap $3 flashlight at Walmart. That's what I use when I prowl for Mosins.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I bought a bore light at Harbor Freight a few years ago for a couple of bucks, sometimes I just use a flashlight, but the bore light is easier to use.

Dave

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    If you plan to be doing your bargain hunting at the 1500 coming up, I guarantee you'll find someone selling bore lights a few bucks somewhere at the show (probably with batteries in it already, but you could bring a couple AA and AAA batteries just be safe).

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ok I did some searching and I can see why a bore light would be a better choice. I will just pick one up someplace before the show. I don't want to have to track a light down before I start looking at toys. I wouldn't want to miss a deal!

Hoosier.Patriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    About the SKS...

I vote for the SKS, I have a Yugo and a Norinco, they are fun to shoot, and ammo is not to bad, price wise.

Dave

I've been looking at army surplus too and it seems the sks is the most semiautomatic bang for the buck. I've also read that they are more accurate than the AK. But I've heard that some of the sks are slower to change mags. Do any of the SKS owners out there have advice on how to find a good SKS for SHTF situation (I don't care about collectibles or having a safe queen).

Thanks,

HP :ingo:

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    My SKS are just as they were made, so they load from a stripper in the 10 round mag. I had one that used th duck bill 30 round mags, but I didn't care for it, and I couldn't convert it back because I didn't have the original parts so I sold it. I also have AKs if I want hi cap mags. I don't know where you are located, but you are welcome to shoot mine at Atterbury sometime.

Dave

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My SKS are just as they were made, so they load from a stripper in the 10 round mag. I had one that used th duck bill 30 round mags, but I didn't care for it, and I couldn't convert it back because I didn't have the original parts so I sold it. I also have AKs if I want hi cap mags. I don't know where you are located, but you are welcome to shoot mine at Atterbury sometime.
    Dave

I am up on the North West side near Zionsville. Do you know when you'll be at Atterbury next? I will be at the Lebanon gun show this Saturday and the Indy show the next.

If there is a time that works out I would love the chance to shoot an SKS before the Indy show, but with such a short time frame I understand if it won't work out.

Either way, thanks for the offer!

BEBOATS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Paoli, Indiana
    I would go for a Chinese SKS if I were mainly going to use it for range shooting. I have the Russian and Chinese SKS's and like the Russian
    better but only for the reason of eye appeal and history. The other three bolt actions are fine rifles but costly to shoot very much. I've had no problems with any Chinese SKS's that I have.

1942 K98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Shelbytucky
    Between me and my dad we own all four, but have not shot the K31 yet. They all have good qualities. I would recommend looking into a Mosin Nagant M91/30 as well. They are inexpensive and cheap to shoot. But they are well built to and are accurate. The SKS has the least kick of them all, and the ammo is inexpensive, the Enfield and the K31 are going to be expensive to shoot. the Mauser bolt action is unequaled in my opinion and the ammo can be found for around $0.25 a round, and they are very accurate, but do have a bit of kick to them. Out of the one's you listed, i would look for a Norinco (Chinese) SKS as they come with chrome lined barrels, are inexpensive to shoot, and wont destroy your shoulder after a day at the range.

Christian

1942 K98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Shelbytucky
    The other three bolt actions are fine rifles but costly to shoot very much. I've had no problems with any Chinese SKS's that I have.
    The Enfield and the K31 certainly are, but surplus 50's Yugo 8mm ammo can be had for around $0.25 a round, and it shoots just as well as the new stuff so long as your firing pin spring is strong. Ive been through about 600 rounds between 2 Mausers and I've had two that didnt fire the first time, both on the same Mauser which I have not checked the spring on. Popped 'em in again and they went right off.

Christian

Last edited:

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    28gwehg.jpg

Patriot3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Kokomo
    SKS for sure, why not a mosin nagant? easy ammo for both the guns and cheap cheap cheap. Plus if you want a big caliber rifle that mosin is perfect

Enfieldno4mk1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Shelbyville
    You can't beat a Mosin 9130 for a big boom and low cost of ammo. It is also a pretty accurate and reliable rifle. Chinese SKS is a also a great choice for a lot of firepower at low cost. A K98 Mauser is a really solid choice as well, but it is more expensive than the previous two. It seems that surplus 8mm ammo is still fairly inexpensive and readily available. I also picked up a very nice Turkish Mauser for less than $150.00 recently and it shoots great.

Top Bottom