• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I was talking with someone the other day about doing this on a Glock and I got to thinking this would be nice on my XDM. there were some obstacles to over come with the shape and design of the XDM Slide but I am very pleased with the finished product. I do have enough room if I decide I want to cut for BUIS down the road.
    Now another range trip is in order :)

Final product. (Although I think now I need to paint the slide and magwell to match. Not sure what color yet)

I gained .200 depth by removing the sight plate and cutting the slide

bushcf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Looks good, my future father-in-law just did this to his FN-45. Turned out really well also. I have been toying with the idea of doing this to my G21, but still don't know how I feel about "wrenching" on my guns. I guess you have to start somewhere though.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thanks all, turna around time is about the same for everything else usually 2 weeks or less. The XDM's I am not sure what cost will be. I did not refinish the area I cut on this one yet but I would need to do that for it to be a completed job so I need to factor that. some where from the $100 - $200 range depending on dot and pistol.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Lol I was just kidding! It does look pretty good! I would prefer a more semi permanent way of attaching it. There are plates that attach to the sight mount groove and then the red dot attaches to the plate via screws. How long does the battery last on that Burris?

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Lol I was just kidding! It does look pretty good! I would prefer a more semi permanent way of attaching it. There are plates that attach to the sight mount groove and then the red dot attaches to the plate via screws. How long does the battery last on that Burris?

This had an adapter plate but I am hoping this is an improvement for me and that it is quicker to find the red dot for the first shot. It sits almost 1/4" lower than it did with the adapter plate. but I confess it was hard dropping the Mill Quill on my slide for that first cut :)
    The battery has been holding up. I have had it almost a year and haven't replaced the battery yet but I haven't used it a lot either, I do like it the sight works real well.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    That is nice. I think on the S&W CORE pistols they are cut to fit 2 or 3 of the most popular RMR sights, but assume they use some kind of adapter plate to do that (?). Is something like that possible here, or would you be committed to a particular RMR ?

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    That is nice. I think on the S&W CORE pistols they are cut to fit 2 or 3 of the most popular RMR sights, but assume they use some kind of adapter plate to do that (?). Is something like that possible here, or would you be committed to a particular RMR ?

I cut this to fit my sight in particular I thought RMR was a particular sight model I dont know what others are doing but as I understand it eliminating the adapter plate is the goal of milling in order to get the sight as low as possible. i have been wrong before though

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I cut this to fit my sight in particular I thought RMR was a particular sight model I dont know what others are doing but as I understand it eliminating the adapter plate is the goal of milling in order to get the sight as low as possible. i have been wrong before though

You're correct Allen. They mill it to get the RMR low enough to co-witness with suppressor-height iron sights.

I like reading your threads as you get more into the 'smithing. You do nice work!

You might check this thread for more reading on the subject of red dots on pistols: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/252827-considering-red-dot-my-defensive-pistol.html

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Interesting. I'll have to do some more research on it. And you are correct on the RMR. I had heard the term used generically, but it is specific to the Trijicon RMR it seems.

The S&W website shows this about the CORE: " Slide cut to accept the following optics – Trijicon RMR, Leupold Delta Point, Jpoint, Doctor, C-More STS, Insight MRDS "

Product: Smith & Wesson M&P9L Pro Series C.O.R.E.

So wasn't sure how they accomplish that. I'll have to check that out next time I see one in person.

I could be interested in having a slide on a Glock cut at some point, but I'm not sure I'd want to be locked into one particular sight, as I usually learn a thing or 2 after the fact on this kind of thing.

In any case, great looking work.

Top Bottom