• Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I didn't read the article...

But open water swimming freaks me right out. Like almost panic-level freak out. I wasn't expecting that to happen when we went swimming with dolphins several years ago - but it did. I just asked for a life vest to float on and then all was well.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I didn't read the article...

But open water swimming freaks me right out. Like almost panic-level freak out. I wasn't expecting that to happen when we went swimming with dolphins several years ago - but it did. I just asked for a life vest to float on and then all was well.

So, I guess swimming mid-Atlantic is out of the question?

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Survival skills are unnecessary, as we are expected to provide a safe space for everyone!

These are the same people who don't know that food comes from farms, and expect utilities and services to just simply be there.

Then they like to make use of the order that society provides so that they can protest without consequences.

But maybe I'm just soured on the participation trophy safe space crowd a little, right now.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Most of them do not need survival skills... they just need to be able to consult the Great Computer.... or protest... or both.

Ah, the good old days of INGOing from a typewriter.

These are the same people who don't know that food comes from farms, and expect utilities and services to just simply be there.

Then they like to make use of the order that society provides so that they can protest without consequences.

But maybe I'm just soured on the participation trophy safe space crowd a little, right now.

Dude, my food comes from Kroger. Duh.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    So, I guess swimming mid-Atlantic is out of the question?

As I sit here in my cubicle today, I'll pass.

But if I were cooped up in a big metal tube with a bunch of other pasty-white smelly dudes - then it'd probably be somewhat appealing to freak out, drown, and become fish food.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There are a lot of pools in the high schools these days. Swim teams and the like.
    But with the ongoing pressures of academics, things like PE are either not required or not available. So if they cant/wont take that class, they may not learn to swim. At least when I was in school, swimming was a week per semester of PE.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What a poor article that teaches us nothing.

How many of those so called "millenials" where polled? From where? City folks or country folks?

I don't think it has anything to do with generation but more with social background and location.

You don't get it, do you? You're not suppose to think critically about this, you are merely to take it as an opportunity to use it as a tool to bash others that are different from you and assume a position of superiority.

Now, less thinky, more tweety.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    But with the ongoing pressures of academics, things like PE are either not required or not available. So if they cant/wont take that class, they may not learn to swim. At least when I was in school, swimming was a week per semester of PE.

We didn't have a pool, so we had to flop around on the gym floor and pretend to swim.

My wife thinks she's so superior to me because she was a competitive swimmer and I merely like to frolic in the water. I can swim from end to end of the pool, but I don't like putting my head underwater so she sneers at me.

Of course, she's not always right - she says "freestyle" to describe the forward crawl stroke. :n00b: I'd rather drown while using the proper terminology than survive and be wrong.

Lelliott8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2016
    Crawfordsville
    This millenial is a prepper and a warrior. There are millenials out there that fly jets, build houses, work in steel mills, and even pay taxes. What we should be concerned with, rather than mocking an entire generation of individuals, is what caused so many people to become helpless losers, and why is the focus on this minority of people?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

PE was one of my Minors when we could pick such things.
    4 years of it.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    You'll be sorry when Global Warming melts all the icebergs and your cubicle floods. How are you going to be able to swim to the FEMA camp to check in with Big Brother? Noah won't be coming to get you because we have all been told the Bible is a myth.
    Easy, we'll all grow Kevin Costner Waterworld ear gills!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Taught both my wife and kids how to swim, to me open water means water over your head in depth and a distance from anything floating or land. My kids have better modern skills than I do like computers, they really don't need to know how to navigate in the woods or how to survive alone in the wild. I really don't kneed those skills either these days but I enjoy having and using them.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    The biggest thing I see is that a lot of millenials have the "I'll just wait to learn it when I get to that point" mentality. And let's be honest, in academics, that may work pretty well. But when SHTF, and the internet is down, that's not the time to ask google "how to filter/sanitize water".

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    More people live in cities.

Fewer people join the military.

Seems easy to figure out. But...click bait is click bait.

Top Bottom