• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    I just read like ten pages back worth of trust posts and I'm still confused...

If I go to one of the suggested attorneys and have a trust drafted this week... What happens? Does it have to be sent into the ATF and be approved? Or can I just use the trust info right away to E-file the form 1 to build an SBR? I couldn't figure this out from what I read here or elsewhere. Hope this makes sense. If I can get the trust and have the SBR in a month or so instead of 9+ I'm in. If it's still going to take a year I'll probably skip it. Also do I need to have other people named on the trust or can it be just me?

Next question...

More fun to shoot a suppressed .45acp or 9mm? I bought myself an Octane .45 for Christmas. It's currently being transferred from the distributor to my dealer...Another reason I'm interested in the trust. Anyway I've never shot a suppressed handgun. Just curious from a quietness and fun factor if I should do 45 or 9?

Thanks for the help

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

If I go to one of the suggested attorneys and have a trust drafted this week... What happens? Does it have to be sent into the ATF and be approved? Or can I just use the trust info right away to E-file the form 1 to build an SBR? I couldn't figure this out from what I read here or elsewhere. Hope this makes sense. If I can get the trust and have the SBR in a month or so instead of 9+ I'm in. If it's still going to take a year I'll probably skip it.

Once you get your trust back from the attorney, you are good to go. You can scan it if it's in paper form and upload it to e-Forms when you submit your Form 1 info. It does not need to be pre-approved by the ATF. It will be examined when they look over your Form 1, but you won't have any issues using one of the recommended attorneys you see around here. E-Form 1's are coming back MUCH faster than paper. I think they're running 3-4 months right now, as opposed to 9 or so with paper. My most recent individual Form 1 mailed in May, was approved on the 7th of this month.

Also do I need to have other people named on the trust or can it be just me?

You can have anyone on the trust that is legal to possess firearms as a trustee and anyone can be your beneficiary, so long as they are legal when it comes time to pass it on (usually upon your death). For example, you could have a minor as a beneficiary, and once they are of age, they can take possession. Your trustees can have possession of the items if you so choose, which is one of the many benefits of a trust. You can add spouses, relatives, friends, whoever.

Next question...

More fun to shoot a suppressed .45acp or 9mm? I bought myself an Octane .45 for Christmas. It's currently being transferred from the distributor to my dealer...Another reason I'm interested in the trust. Anyway I've never shot a suppressed handgun. Just curious from a quietness and fun factor if I should do 45 or 9?

SUBSONIC 9mm and .45 ACP both sound pretty similar suppressed. The only downside I can think of with 9mm is that it can be a bit harder to find 147 grain or higher ammo (the bullet weight you need to use in a factory load to stay subsonic). 147 grain ammo can often be a bit more expensive than 115 or 124 and not as readily available in FMJ. One of the plusses of .45 ACP is that pretty much everything you would buy off the shelf (230 gr FMJ plinking ammo) is going to be subsonic already. If you handload, 9mm is DEFINITELY going to cheaper, the costs gets a little closer if you buy factory 147 gr ammo, unless you shop for deals online. I would shoot whatever you could get a threaded barrel for, and if you're able, BOTH. =)

Thanks for the help

Answered above.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    What ryknoll3 said, though efiled Form 1s are taking as little as 30 days now (super fast).

The NFA tracker is a good place to see what the trends are like (and I highly recommend everyone enter their info in there, so it's more accurate).

Here's what it current looks like:

nfatracker_1-19-14.jpg

Last edited:

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    Thanks ryknoll3. I'm going to give one of the suggested lawyers a call and see what happens. I'm surprised it's really that easy. I still don't understand it completly, but I'll ask the lawyer and read more online. I don't speak legal jargon. If it really cuts down the wait so much...I'm in! Personally I don't mind the fingerprints, but I hate the waiting! Most importantly I don't want to get in any trouble. Hopefully it will work in 30 days Beowulf! Thanks to you too

I thought the 45 would be quieter, but had been told otherwise. My experience with the rifle suppressors I have now being subsonic makes a huge difference. Now just to decide what kind of handgun I want to suppress... Thanks again

Davecz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2014
    Dyer

If I go to one of the suggested attorneys and have a trust drafted this week... What happens? Does it have to be sent into the ATF and be approved? Or can I just use the trust info right away to E-file the form 1 to build an SBR? I couldn't figure this out from what I read here or elsewhere. Hope this makes sense. If I can get the trust and have the SBR in a month or so instead of 9+ I'm in. If it's still going to take a year I'll probably skip it. Also do I need to have other people named on the trust or can it be just me?

Next question...

Thanks for the help

Both fun but easier to shoot 45 subsonic

you'll love the Octane - awesome on a 1911

hd96heritage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2014
    Wheat-tucky
    Went trust. Efiled my form 1 On October 25, approved December 4, less than 6 weeks. Filed paper form 4 September 1, approved Dec 18. Less than 4 months

Received letter from atf this past week they are developing new Efile form 4 system and should be up by end of this year.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    Went trust. Efiled my form 1 On October 25, approved December 4, less than 6 weeks. Filed paper form 4 September 1, approved Dec 18. Less than 4 months

Received letter from atf this past week they are developing new Efile form 4 system and should be up by end of this year.

Good info. I've been thinking on getting a trust for a while now. I thought it took longer. May have to get one now.

Top Bottom