• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    My wife recently birthed our new baby daughter. She is absolutely beautiful. This is our second, our first being our two-year-old son. To help with the first couple weeks of the new baby (and because it's Christmas), my mother-in-law and a couple brothers-in-law, young enough to still be living at their mother's, have been staying with us.

I was fine with this until my wife told me they would be bringing their dog with them. They just got this dog a couple weeks ago from a friend who didn't want it anymore because it had tried to snap at them a few times unprovoked and had a history of tearing up property. The dog has a rough past apparently with an abusive owner at some point. Anyway, I told my wife flat out I did not want that dog in our house. I told her they could keep it outside in the cold if the want (we have a fenced yard) or take it to the kennel, but I didn't want to have to be worrying about a dog with my two-year-old or newborn girl.

Stupid me, I let her talk me into letting the dog stay in the house ("it's really cold out; if the dog does something you don't like we can have it removed then; Mom says she'll keep an eye on it; etc. etc."). I didn't like the idea at all, let my wife know that, but wasn't quite ready to start a fight with my in-laws over it; after all, it's Christmas and they were coming to help us out.

Well, the first few days went fine. Besides the dog having the nastiest smelling farts the world has known, it basically just laid around and didn't bother anyone or tear anything up. Suffice to say, my apprehension subsided after the first couple days. He did poop in our kitchen a few times, but the in-laws cleaned that up and all was well... at least I thought.

Yesterday we were sitting down watching a movie and my son was playing with Legos on the floor. The dog was next to him. All of a sudden the dog decided to snap at his face for no reason at all. Luckily, my brother-in-law was right next to him and grabbed the dog. At first I thought maybe the dog had just snapped but not bit my son. My son just sat there stunned (as he does at first when he gets hurt) then started the scream.

He turned to us and that's when I noticed his lip was all bloody and cheek was scratched up. Well, as soon as I saw this, the dog took a sailing across our back yard. I was ready to beat the dog to death but my wife had chased me out the back door and convinced me not to. My mother-in-law drove the dog back to their home last night (they live multiple hours away). I hope they put the dog down or at least get rid of it. We won't be visiting their house if they still have that dog.

We got lucky in that when the dog bit, it didn't get my son very badly and my brother-in-law was there to pull him off quickly. He has a busted up lip and his face is scratched up on one side but he'll be fine. I'm telling this to make both a comment and get opinions.

First, TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS. I knew I didn't want that dog in my house but let others talk me out of my concerns.

Second, defending your family from harm is much more than defending them from other people. We've got to consciously consider the risk-reward tradeoffs of the environments we place our families in.

Third, until this event, I hadn't really known how defensive I was of my son. If we didn't live in the city, I truly feel I would have taken that dog out back and shot it on the spot.

Finally, what would you have done in such a scenario? Remember, emotions are reeling at the time. Do you think you would have beat the dog? Yelled at your in-laws? Yelled at your wife? Killed the dog? Once you think of what you WOULD have done, then tell me what you think SHOULD have been done.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Its a good 'rule of thumb" to never have a dog around young kids with out some kind of harness/muzzel/etc until you know how they are going to react. One of my sisters dogs will do the same thing, not a harmful bite as much as a puppy playing nip, but we were able to figure that out in a controlled environment and now to keep that dog away from my kids.

Glad no one was more seriously hurt!

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Thats the problem with mother-in-laws, you never know when they are going to bite you in the face...

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    When I have grandkids and my dog bites one of them (pray this never happens or I become the stupid) the dog is going down. No questions.

I hope your son is alright and heals well. Can't say what you should have done; you know your family and the in-laws. Personally I don't think the in-laws should have risked the well being of their grandkids.

Here is my view: Unless life or limb is at stake, don't react in the heat of the moment. You removed the immediate threat.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    My daughter was bitten on the lip at the babysitters when she was 2. Luckily it wasn't too bad. The doctor did a great job with the few stitches he put in.

I can barely stand overactive dogs that jump and bark but when one bites I correct it immediately. To me they are just another animal like a pig, cow or horse. If they are out of line they need corrected. I may be wrong but I don't care.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I can barely stand overactive dogs that jump and bark but when one bites I correct it immediately. To me they are just an animal like a pig, cow or horse. If they are out of line they need corrected. I may be wrong but I don't care.

And with a taste that can't be beat... :D

People and their **** dogs need to understand that I have no desire or patience for their animals. Keep them away. I am not a dog guy, I do not want to play with them, I have no business with them when visiting. I have told friends to cage or put their dog away when I was talking with them several times. "Cage it or I will shoot it" when it was jumping around all over me. They laugh, but see my face. I was bitten up pretty bad and DRAGGED around my yard by a rabid dog when I was a kid, about 7ish years old. Chow mix, not huge but angry enough to drag me around, shake, then keep dragging. My step father at the time shot it with it still hauling me around by my leg. Dogs aren't pets in my mind: They are animals, food source, occasional companion source and potential enemy if things go south.

Remove the food from the picture and see which one is the master and which one is the "pet". The dog in the OP needs to be put down, despite whatever is made up about how good an animal it is most of the time. It bit the kid, pure and simple. A nice .22 in the back of the head should work. If you need help, I am in the Indy area, can drive a little bit.

sgt.porter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Deleware County
    One of the best dogs I ever owned was buried 10 minutes after it bit my daughter. I wouldn't think twice about doing it again. In my opinion, a dog that bites a child unprovoked will do it again and should be put down.
    my :twocents:
    The dog had a violent history, you and all adults involved knew this. I'm sorry, but you failed your child by avoiding that fight. You can't be a father and be non-confrontational when it comes to your children's safety.
    If the dog stays, you and the children leave, or she can go stay with her family and spend all the time she wants with the dog.
    I'm not saying be over protective and shelter your children from all kinds of harm, but you saw this coming and it could have been much worse. What if the dog had went after the baby?
    I'm glad your son is ok.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dogs who bite unprovoked should never be around children. If I had a dog who bit a child, I'd put it down.

+1.

A friend's child just got bit recently and required stitches in the face in two spots. I've seen what a dog can do in just a split second.

It was a risk/reward decsion...and there was no reward to having the dog around.

I would seriously question the wife (where the heck is her judgement and motherly instincts) for arguing for a damn dog (ESPECIALLY one that is new, from an abusive home, with a history of snapping at people) to be in the house over any possible concerns for the child's safety. It should have been in the garage and out back.

And yes, you should have advocated stronger and stood your ground over this safety issue. You learned your lesson....it could have been much worse. Glad your boy is going to be ok.

Last edited:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Not defending the dog don't take it this way, but every abused dog I have ever seen is aggressive towards kids. My step-fathers dog is a perfect example of this. He will try and be a lap dog but growls and runs away from my two year old. He doesn't treat my five year old or my nieces and nephews that way. My choice the dog would be long gone. I have said several times that given the opportunity that dog is dead.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    And with a taste that can't be beat... :D

People and their **** dogs need to understand that I have no desire or patience for their animals. Keep them away. I am not a dog guy, I do not want to play with them, I have no business with them when visiting. I have told friends to cage or put their dog away when I was talking with them several times. "Cage it or I will shoot it" when it was jumping around all over me. They laugh, but see my face. I was bitten up pretty bad and DRAGGED around my yard by a rabid dog when I was a kid, about 7ish years old. Chow mix, not huge but angry enough to drag me around, shake, then keep dragging. My step father at the time shot it with it still hauling me around by my leg. Dogs aren't pets in my mind: They are animals, food source, occasional companion source and potential enemy if things go south.

Remove the food from the picture and see which one is the master and which one is the "pet". The dog in the OP needs to be put down, despite whatever is made up about how good an animal it is most of the time. It bit the kid, pure and simple. A nice .22 in the back of the head should work. If you need help, I am in the Indy area, can drive a little bit.

Dude we have a LOT in common. I was attacked by a black Chow named Spook when I was 6. I'm 29 now and still have a nice scar on my thigh.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    A dog mauled my sister when she was about ten. Luckily she covered her face with her hands but had to have multiple stitches across her head.
    If that dog was in my house and bit a kid, especially my kid, we would be taking a trip out to the backwoods with my Glock and he would never bite another human being again.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    A known abused dog with an aggressive temperament and small children unknown to the dog. Bad mix period.

All adults failed in this one.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Don't tell me... I was just making an observation...

Good to see we have active PC police determining people's thinking and motives. Keep up the good work. I would not have caught that.

I agree a dog like that needs to be humanely destroyed. I understand the feeling of wanting to beat it to death but remember the dog is basically what humans made it.

Top Bottom