MilSurp Cargo Cases - Anyone seen these?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I would love to get my hands on at least one... preferably more.

Anyone seen these things for sale/surplus locally?

Thanks

kdvkfs.jpg

2dm79z4.jpg

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Forewarning....the ones that have open half way up are a pain to shut again with any real amount of material in them, unless its contained in something inside the case.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I've generally got the down low on free mil containers, and these will probably be tricky to find. Maybe I'm wrong, but most of these containers have very expensive (serialized) gear in them and the container is considered part of the gear.

I can tell you though that Camp Atterbury has TRUCKLOADS of empty ammo cans in every size, if you know anyone in the military and can do some sweet talking ( or get a letter of authorization) there are easy to get. I filled the back of my full size silverado 3x in 1 day, getting everything from M203 boxes to 9mm.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I got one but it is white and not olive drab. It has a little pressure valve on the side to equalize the pressure. It had about 6" of foam padding inside but I took that out.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    I've generally got the down low on free mil containers, and these will probably be tricky to find. Maybe I'm wrong, but most of these containers have very expensive (serialized) gear in them and the container is considered part of the gear.

I can tell you though that Camp Atterbury has TRUCKLOADS of empty ammo cans in every size, if you know anyone in the military and can do some sweet talking ( or get a letter of authorization) there are easy to get. I filled the back of my full size silverado 3x in 1 day, getting everything from M203 boxes to 9mm.

Then don't forget to drop some off at the shop!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

I wouldn't tell anybody that. Will get you and your contact in deep doo-doo. The government doesn't take lightly to theft of their property. ;)

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Then don't forget to drop some off at the shop!

Their all gone now, actually I just gave my last 2 to Ben last week when he was up in Fort Wayne! You'll be the first to know when I resupply!

I wouldn't tell anybody that. Will get you and your contact in deep doo-doo. The government doesn't take lightly to theft of their property. ;)

I'm pretty sure those are in the trash/recycle/anybody wants anybody can have pile. They literally had 4 (tractor) open top trailers over flowing with them. When I sweet talk I basically mean ask.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Their all gone now, actually I just gave my last 2 to Ben last week when he was up in Fort Wayne! You'll be the first to know when I resupply!

I'm pretty sure those are in the trash/recycle/anybody wants anybody can have pile. They literally had 4 (tractor) open top trailers over flowing with them. When I sweet talk I basically mean ask.
    It doesn't matter... you can sweet talk all you want, but it's still theft. I work on a military installation. We can't even dumpster dive. You get caught with anything that is/was/used to be gov property without proper authorization you're toast.

If it was in the recycling then it really was theft. DRMO auctions that stuff off and the funds go back to the base and get put into their general fund. You take something out of the recycling they get less money back into the general fund, and you've essentially stolen money from them.

Like I said, if I had done that I certainly wouldn't have bragged about it online.

BTW, a little over a year ago we had a sheet of decal material that got ripped. It couldn't be salvaged for our uses, but still had some useful material on it for smaller uses. They were going to throw it away. I asked if I could take it home and save the government the "trash disposal fees" etc etc. They said there was just no way to do it. The only way to get something off center like that is if it gets donated to a non-profit or educational institution. And in that case you have to go through a long process to get all the approvals etc. Example: we donate scrap and unused metal from our machine-shop to local universities with some fashion of metal-working classes or machine shops.

Everything has a paper trail, talking to somebody and getting verbal permission is the equivalent of that person saying, "Sure you can steal things, I'll just turn my back on it".

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield

I have a good hook up there and he keeps an eye out on stuff for me.... I have not got anything yet because these days getting stuff is harder then it used to be...... even the larger cal shells are all tracked and have to be turned back in after firing.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Last edited:

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun

It doesn't matter... you can sweet talk all you want, but it's still theft. I work on a military installation. We can't even dumpster dive. You get caught with anything that is/was/used to be gov property without proper authorization you're toast.

If it was in the recycling then it really was theft. DRMO auctions that stuff off and the funds go back to the base and get put into their general fund. You take something out of the recycling they get less money back into the general fund, and you've essentially stolen money from them.

Like I said, if I had done that I certainly wouldn't have bragged about it online.

BTW, a little over a year ago we had a sheet of decal material that got ripped. It couldn't be salvaged for our uses, but still had some useful material on it for smaller uses. They were going to throw it away. I asked if I could take it home and save the government the "trash disposal fees" etc etc. They said there was just no way to do it. The only way to get something off center like that is if it gets donated to a non-profit or educational institution. And in that case you have to go through a long process to get all the approvals etc. Example: we donate scrap and unused metal from our machine-shop to local universities with some fashion of metal-working classes or machine shops.

Everything has a paper trail, talking to somebody and getting verbal permission is the equivalent of that person saying, "Sure you can steal things, I'll just turn my back on it".

Everything I got was all recorded and obtained with a LOA, no one is getting in any trouble. I acquired these specifically for military purposes, but our estimate was higher then necessary (oops :D). Just an FYI

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Everything I got was all recorded and obtained with a LOA, no one is getting in any trouble. I acquired these specifically for military purposes, but our estimate was higher then necessary (oops :D). Just an FYI
    Your original reply didn't have any indications that the containers were for military purposes and I still have my doubts about that. Your post implied that any person can go get containers and use them for any purpose, including personal uses. I'm sorry if I come off as a jerk but I still don't believe you. Maybe it's a CYA thing and you're now trying to cover it up, which I can't blame you for... but don't feed me a line of bull. What were the containers really used for?

Top Bottom