• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheAutomator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Firearms Combatives & Retention AAR

I've taken a good number of the courses Mindset Lab offers, but this course is pretty unique in that it is truly a fighting class. No bones about it, everything you learn in this class is gun fighting in the truest sense.
    Firearms retention is something that is often talked about, but rarely practiced and implemented in training. At least, I've never experienced anything outside of holding the gun close in a 'retention position' in a class. This is a shame, as I believe it is a VERY important part of being prepared to carry and use a firearm.

The class starts out with a comprehensive mindset and safety lecture. Safety is something that's a very important part of the Mindset Lab classroom. It's vital for the success of the class due to the curriculum taught and practiced.

The class taught a variety of strikes with both handguns and long guns. We learned how to use handguns, rifles, and shotguns as impact weapons. We also discussed the utility and reasoning behind the actions taught. It wasn't simply, 'this is how you do this.' It was, 'this is how you do it and this is where you might do it and this is why you might want to do it this way.' We also learned a variety of ways to implement the strikes in a fight, as well as how to execute the strikes from a variety of positions.

The retention portion of the class followed directly, with much of the striking showing its utility while defending your gun from being taken away. We learned handgun retention both in and out of the holster, as well as long gun retention with and without a sling.

One of the important things for me is that there was no 'ninja bull****' taught. Everything was simple, direct, and effective. There was nothing flashy and unnecessary added. Just techniques that will allow you to retain your firearm and make the attacker sorry he picked you.

At the end of the day, we were able to combine what we learned and practice it on a live opponent in a 'Fist' suit. We practiced each technique we learned through the day, then integrated everything we learned in a one minute freeform 'fight.'

One thing I appreciated is the laid back yet professional way the class was handled. There was enough story telling and joking to keep things fun and light, but the actual instruction was taken very seriously. The strikes and retention techniques we were taught were absolutely no joke.
    One unexpected piece of the class was the gear section. We briefly discussed the benefits of different styles of slings and holsters and their relationship with weapon retention and striking.

I believe that weapon retention is an often over looked piece of the puzzle when carrying and fighting with a handgun or rifle. Too many times it's glossed over or neglected in practice. A fight for your gun is a fight for your life, and it's too late to learn how to effectively keep and deploy your gun in the middle of said fight.

I would like to thank Shay VanVlymen of Mindset Lab for the opportunity to take part in the class. I'd like to also thank Andy VanVlymen for volunteering to wear the 'Fist' suit and allow us to whack on him with blue guns.

In closing, I'd like to encourage everyone to get out there and seek professional training. Many people who carry guns have this illusion that when the time comes, they're going to draw their pistol, drop into a perfect Weaver stance, and perform a flawless Mozambique drill, because that's what they practice on the range. Take part in realistic training and learn what you don't know you don't know.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Great AAR! I appreciate your attention to details on what the class covered, without giving up any trade secrets.

Shay how about I just take an entire week of vacation and we run through each one of your classes one at a time? ;)

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Great AAR! I appreciate your attention to details on what the class covered, without giving up any trade secrets.

Shay how about I just take an entire week of vacation and we run through each one of your classes one at a time? ;)
    Esrice: I will join you lets see if we can get a group discount:D

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy

Let's start by actually getting you into a one-day class :)

Thanks for the comprehensive AAR! It was a tough day of training. I tried to make it not too active, but it is definitely not a lecture-only or theory class. The FoF skills drills at the end with the Fist suit really brought everything together and gave the students a chance to integrate what they learned against a resisting attacker.

I have some pics that I will edit and post tomorrow. For the past few days I've been working on getting some class videos edited.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I just posted a short one in the Flashlight Combatives thread.

No background metal music though :(

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    A few pics from the class:
    FCR091811-01.jpg

FCR091811-02.jpg

FCR091811-03.jpg

Basically, hitting people with guns isn't rocket science, but there are better and worse ways to do it. We worked our way up from slow single strikes on the focus pads to dynamic stress drills with an attacker in a Fist suit. There's nothing like testing what you think you know on someone who doesn't just let you do it.

Top Bottom