• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Is there a distance that it would be considered legal for hunting away from a mineral lick?

I ask because one piece of property has spot on it that appears to have has a mineral lick but it is atleast 150yards away (if not further) from the area that I hunt. You can only see the area if you are within 20 yards as the area has real dense vegetation.

I want to be sure I cannot get in trouble and if I need to do something about it

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I thought the distance was 100 yards, but that's just what I heard. Disclaimers galore here.

You can't move your neighbor's mineral lick for him, but you could ask him to move it. Even if you hunt YOUR property and it is within the distance, you can get in trouble.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Actually I was told by a CO that you can be charged with hunting the trails leading to these spots if the attractent was man made or placed for the purpose of attracting deer to the area.
    If you really want the answer call the local co and ask him is opinion cause he will be the guys giving the ticket

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    domesticated animals to take deer. Bait is considered any product that is transferred into a hunting area and placed there for animal consumption. Baits can be in the form of salt, mineral blocks, piles of corn or apples or other food, or a prepared solid or liquid intended for the animal to eat. An area is considered to be baited for 10 days after the removal of the bait and any affected soil.

Book doesn't say anything about trails leading to the bait, they can't make up their own rules.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-deerhuntguide.pdf

IMHO it's all stupid anyway, if you can plant a food plot and hunt it, mineral blocks shouldn't be a big deal.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    the key thing is to remove it. If it's been there a LOOONG time, they will probably keep going back looking for it. I really wouldn't worry about it though.

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    If the mineral lick is on the property you are planning to hunt I would remove it and the dirt underneath it, immediately if you are going to bowhunt. If it is on a neighbor's property then there isn't much you can do about it, but should not be a concern unless extremely close to the area you hunt, like if someone placed a saltlick on the fenceline. This is what a County Officer told us last year at hunter's ed class, although he did not name a yardage. The main point I took from the c.o. is, don't leave any form of bait on your property and you'll be safe.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Thanks. I will plan on looking for it again and try to remove it. I actually do not plan to bow hunt on it until the last week of bow right before gun season and then hunt during gun season. Actually during gun season, i will be hunting either across the road, a long distance away or the other side of the river.

Thanks for all the information

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I don't believe that there is a set distance.
    It would be up to the CO to determine if you were hunting over bait. You could always call him and have him look over your spot before hand.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    You have knowledge of the bait and by hunting in an area adjacent to bait you will be benefiting from the bait. There is no minimum or maximum distance away.

312 IAC 9-3-2 General requirements for deer; exemptions; tagging; tree blinds; maximum taking of antlered deer in a
    calendar year
    Authority: IC 14-22-2-6
    Affected: IC 14-22-11-1; IC 14-22-11-11

(e) The use or aid of:
    (1) a food product that is transported and placed for consumption;
    (2) salt;
    (3) mineral blocks;
    (4) prepared solid or liquid intended for ingestion (herein called bait);
    (5) snares;
    (6) dogs; or
    (7) other domesticated animals;
    to take deer is prohibited. A person must not hunt by the aid of bait or on or over a baited area. An area is considered baited for ten
    (10) days after the removal of the bait or the baited soil. Hunting an orchard or another area, which may be attractive to deer as the
    result of normal agricultural activity, is not prohibited. The use of manufactured scents and lures or similar chemical or natural
    attractants is not prohibited.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    There is no set distance. It is up to the individual CO. I've been told by CO's that if you can't see it from your stand then you are not hunting over bait. Other CO's may have a different view. Clear as mud?

deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    If a person is hunting on private property then how would anyone know. I am not suggesting doing this, but a CO would not be able to go onto private property and check without a warrant. I personally think this is a stupid law and might help reduce the population some. Other states allow baiting, why not Indiana?

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have been told that a CO has the right to go onto private property and that they have more authority than a state trooper. Now I am sure that the authority has to be with enforcing gaming laws but all they need is reasonable suspicion which I am not sure how you can determine that exactly.

As stated, the rules are "clear as mud". Best thing for me is to try to remove it now and then stay away from it. As I am over 250yards away through a dense wooded area, I would hope that this would be enough.

I am not even sure if it is a mineral lick but it was the only wet spot in the area and there were some tracks around the edges. It was not dug out or anything.

deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    I have been told that a CO has the right to go onto private property and that they have more authority than a state trooper. Now I am sure that the authority has to be with enforcing gaming laws but all they need is reasonable suspicion which I am not sure how you can determine that exactly.

As stated, the rules are "clear as mud". Best thing for me is to try to remove it now and then stay away from it. As I am over 250yards away through a dense wooded area, I would hope that this would be enough.

I am not even sure if it is a mineral lick but it was the only wet spot in the area and there were some tracks around the edges. It was not dug out or anything.

LOL! Don't believe everything you are told. CO's still have to abide by the search and seizure laws. They have no right to come on to your property without a search warrant or probable cause that a crime is being committed.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    They have no right to come on to your property without a search warrant.
    I understand they can come onto your property without a search warrant. Likewise they can search your car without a search warrant.

I'm not saying its constitutional, but I'm saying that they do this, and have legal protection to do so.

deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Sure they can do anything they want if you let them. Let's get serious here. If it's not constitutional then they can not do it! This is why we have lost a lot of our rights is because we assume that someone has authority to do something and we let them, without question. :xmad:

JamesZX1100

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    NE INDY
    I would just ask your neighbor and see if he/she can move it or see if you can move it yourself. I'm not exactly too sure on the rules on this topic, but thats just my $0.02~

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I did some followup. The 100 yards distance is a requirement from the local CO of a farm some friends of mine hunt. They have a feeder that they run year round, but they can't hunt over or near it. The game goes within the radius even after shot? No dice.

Their strategy is to keep the game feeder in an area they don't hunt, which in their case is close to the home on the property.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    I understand they can come onto your property without a search warrant. Likewise they can search your car without a search warrant.

I'm not saying its constitutional, but I'm saying that they do this, and have legal protection to do so.

A CO or any police officer can come on your property if they have reasonable suspension, probable cause or a warrant. If any officer sees you hunting on a piece of property, they may check you for license and stamps. The same stands for vehicles. If any officers believes criminal activity is afoot in a vehicle and has reasonable suspension, probable cause or a warrant they may either request permission or obtain a warrant. COs have the exact same enforcement powers as State Troopers and any police officer in Indiana can enforce fish and wildlife laws. COs are given Federal Enforcement powers to allow investigation and enforcement of certain federal fish and game laws.

I was told this by a local county deputy.
    I heard the same thing back in PA as well.

The Deputy was incorrect. He has the same power as a CO.

I did some followup. The 100 yards distance is a requirement from the local CO of a farm some friends of mine hunt. They have a feeder that they run year round, but they can't hunt over or near it. The game goes within the radius even after shot? No dice.

Their strategy is to keep the game feeder in an area they don't hunt, which in their case is close to the home on the property.

The 100 yards is an opinion of the law by your CO and possibly his prosecutor. Another officer and another prosecutor can have a differing opinion and find you in violation.

Top Bottom