• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    All the talk going on in other threads regarding the Mini-14 has me thinking about buying a Mini-30 again. How does the Mini-14 compare to the Mini-30? I've always liked the Mini-30 and keep toying with the idea of picking one up as a truck gun. Then I talk myself out of it since I have an SKS that I like. Still though, every time I pick up a Mini-30, I find myself trying to rationalize one.

As much as I like the SKS, I do find it a bit front heavy (even more so since I put the bayonet back on). The Mini-30 seems a bit more balanced. Maybe I'm just imagining that though. How does the Mini-30 compare to the SKS?

Thanks,

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Mini 30's are pretty pricey aren't they?

My recommendation for a 7.62x39 truck gun would be a WASR 10, they can be had for under $400 dollars, have AK47 reliability, and they're not the prettiest guns to begin with so you won't mind throwing them behind the seat of your truck.

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    I have a mini-14 that is great....it eats any ammo and does the job for shtf. A min-30 or a sks is 7.62x39 caliber and if that's the case I'll take an AK.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That's pretty much as I thought. Every time I think of getting a Mini-30, I find myself thinking I've got what I need in an SKS. Instead of the Mini-30, I should just pick up an underfolder WASR-10. They had one for around $400 at the Indy1500 last time around. The Mini-30 does look like a nice rifle and I wouldn't kick one out of the safe, but since money is always tight, it probably does not make sense to go down that road right now.

Thanks,

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    You could speed this up by selling the SKS.

Myself? I'd stick with the SKS, as i have done so far. Then again, if you sell yours, you'd have to replace it with something.

jmemmert

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    just save a little more and get one. you'll regret selling your sks, and I think if you wait long enough, the right deal will come around.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    You also need to consider the parts & mags with the mini 30 are hard to find normally compared to an SKS or a romy AK 47 .If I were considering something in the 7.62 x 39 cal. ,Id be leaning towards the SKS or AK

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I've had the mini 30, SKS and a WASR10. Depending on what you want a "truck gun" for either could be a choice. If you are wanting it for shooting a coyote or other varmit the SKS was the most accurate out of the 3 closely followed by the mini 30. WASR10 accuracy well most know the deal with that. Intimidating looks if that is your thing the WASR does win that I guess. A get home gun if SHTF I would still choose the SKS see accuracy statement above.
    To me reliability and accuracy are the most important things I look for in any weapon. For my uses I never saw any reliability issues out of any of mine. My SKS I bought back in 1989 for $69 I know they are higher nowdays. But it has been a truck gun, ATV, Jeep gun for all the years I've had it. It has been dropped in the mud more times that I can count. Left outside in the rain on the ATV, hardly ever slept in the house, fired many cases of ammo corrosive and noncorrosive. It will still out shoot any AK variant I have ever shot. I believe you have the perfect "truck gun" now, no need to trade down.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I've owned about a dozen assorted SKS carbines over the years and think very highly of them. I'm currently down to two, as it's been pretty much impossible to resist selling off the ones I didn't use much when folks were lining up to offer two and three times what I had in it for a particular model.

They have virtually all been rugged and 100% functionally reliable, but relative accuracy levels have varied quite a bit, with a few capable of delivering consistent 5 rd. groups into 2" or so at 100 yds with their favorite ammo and others unable to go much under twice that no matter what you fed them. Most seemed to 'top out' somewhere between 3 and 4" from the bench with the issue irons and my aging eyes.

While I haven't had nearly as extensive experience with the AK-types, no as-issued configuration example I've personally owned or fired delivered much under 5 to 6" consistently under the same conditions. YMMV, but aside from its capability for delivering a higher volume of sustained fire I don't see it as being substantially "better" than an SKS.

I also have a relatively early model stainless Mini-30. In several ways I actually prefer it to either of the others. It's markedly lighter, has better (IMO) overall handling qualities, comes with a convenient and durable built-in provision for mounting optics and a superior (if admittedly rudimentary) iron sight configuration. To my mind, it fills its designed role as a rugged utility/working carbine extremely well.

It's no tack driver by any means, but with several loads it will do better on target than my best SKS by a slight, but not inconsiderable, margin and better than your average AK with darn near anything. I've read a lot about groups shifting and opening up with them as the barrel heats up under sustained rapid firing, but haven't done enough systematic testing with mine under those conditions to confirm or deny that. My club has some pretty strict rules concerning rapid fire on the rifle range, and I seldom have the opportunity to shoot anywhere else these days.

My biggest gripe has always been that the only truly reliable magazines for it were the factory five-rd. units. That's the major reason that's kept the SKS as my go-to SHTF/bug-out weapon of choice so far. Now that Ruger is finally producing 10 and 20 rd. magazines for it, that may well change.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I'd go with the SKS as the truck gun. I have a side folder that goes in the back seat pretty easily.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    They have virtually all been rugged and 100% functionally reliable, but relative accuracy levels have varied quite a bit, with a few capable of delivering consistent 5 rd. groups into 2" or so at 100 yds with their favorite ammo and others unable to go much under twice that no matter what you fed them. Most seemed to 'top out' somewhere between 3 and 4" from the bench with the issue irons and my aging eyes.

If we look at the 4" at 100yd the worst that you have seen that is still 4 MOA which is 20" at 500 yards. How wide is the average persons chest????? hmmm 20" or so. I've done it with these rifles and the open sights, they are great even with the steel case surplus ammo and Wolf as well as everything else you can throw at them.
    My mini 30 did not really care much for the steel cased ammo, which is the main reason it found a new zip code. Claddagh did yous like steel case or did you try.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Perhaps I need to clarify things a bit. When I say 'top out', I mean that a particular group was the very best I could obtain with a given specimen. Many simply would not perform to that level with any consistency and the average groups were often more in the 6" range. I may have to attribute at least some of that to my own shortcomings, but just how much I really can't say as no machine rest or fixture was available to compare results with.

I haven't encountered much in the way of functional issues using steel cased ammo in my Mini. Most of what I have seen was strictly with lacquered cases and nearly always began to happen after several magazines had been fired within a quarter-hour or so. Cleaning the chamber and extractor thoroughly would cure it, and if I kept my rate of fire down I could run a hundred rds or so through between cleanings.

It doesn't happen at all with the copper washed Chinese stuff or the newer polymer coated Wolf ammo. FWIW, one of the factory loads it does exceptionally well with is my hoarded supply of Norinco "Silver Box" with a steel case and steel core bullet. For the most part though I get consistently better accuracy with brass cased commercial ammo and my handloads.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    i love my SKS, i don't think i'd ever sell it.

I'd really like to have a mini 14 one of these days.

i have no experience with the mini 30 though.

my 2 cents...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think I'll probably keep the SKS as my SHTF gun and will use it as the truck gun if it comes to needing one. I sure like the Mini-30, but unless I find a used one at a great price, would have trouble justifying a place in the safe for it.

BTW, the next 1500 is the weekend of Jan 15th.

Thanks,

Top Bottom