• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    yamaha to ancwer your question only part is for the mini 14. the other part is to help me move back to az or get a revolver and i havent been shooting the guns listed much so i though i may clean them out and get some i will shoot more.

ic, i never have been impressed by the ruger mini 14, never felt right to me, so i suppose i am biased. Ever consider a M14 instead?

or perhaps a remington 742

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    no not really the one im lookin at is the stainless 18.5" bbl with flash hider and black laminate stock and scope.
    hmmm, might be i'm used to the 700 already, but I was looking at a mini14 a few days ago and it felt that way. I'd like to see a mini 14 vs an m14 someday tho

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Being a Mini Owner myself: They are a 5.56mm chamber. Run a field gauge for 5.56 in it and have fun!

On the Mini itself: If you are looking for a cheap alternative for the AR (like many are nowadays) go somewhere else. They are not as accuate. I have mine down to a 3 MOA rifle with my finest handloads (weighing cases, etc...). I have cryoed the barrel/reciever, bedded the stock and accustrut'ed the barrel. Also, be aware: Many gunshop owners take advantage of people regarding the Mini. They will have an inexpensive one in the store, but you buy it, look at the number and realize you have a 1/10" twist barrel, instead of that new 1/9 or the older 1/7. If the store owner knows that they are doing, they will put a higher price on the 1/7 (Bob at Plainfield tended to do this, did it to a Ranch Rifle I bought from him a long time ago). Always check the number before walking out the store with it, because they dont state the barrel twist on the rifle and the twist rate SEVERLY limits the type of ammo you can run through it. Magazines arent the best: The best ones are the Ruger factory ones. People are tempted by 10 dollar national Mags and think the mini is garbage when they cant get those mags to work.

They are not a tacticool rifle, they dont work that way. I see alot of folks get one, then try to sell it in a market that doesnt want it. They are a very handy rifle, shoot it a couple times, clean it, store it for a bad day. Research the gun first, the problems, the pros, the parts, the company itself, then decide if you want one. Given the general type of person I have seen lately that want's a semi-auto rifle, use the below line:

If you are looking for the above:
    Save your sheckles, build an AR. It's so easy, a caveman could do it :D:D:D

Tirador

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Otwell,IN
    If you are looking for a SHTF weapon that you can craw thru the dirt, shoot all week without cleaning, and still know its not going to jam up, buy the Mini!!!! Tolerances may not be as close as an AR but this is what keeps it from jamming. Accuracy is better in the new Models, but you can still tweak the older ones to shoot 1 MOA. Twist rate is very important because 1/7 shoots heavier bullets, 1/10 lighter etc.!Trigger is hard with lots of tavel-have your gunsmith fix his or do it yourself. Mine has a reduced gas bushing that slows the cycle down resulting in the brass landing at your feet about 5 ft. at 2 o'clock. Your friends at the range will not keep pushing u to the far right bench every time.I've done about $350 worth of mods including strikeForce stock and am shooting <1MOA.But of all the guns in the safe I reach for the Mini 14 the most. For more info on the Mini 14 go to " perfectunion bbs ".

WoodWizard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    The.223 began life in about 1957 as the 5.6 NATO , Remington later introduced it as a .223 commercial round. It is the same round , however there is a 5.56x57 that will not work as the case is in fact longer.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If it says it's chambered to fire the .223 in your owners manual, do not fire 5.56. You may not have troubles at first, but it's an accident ready to happen. The 5.56 has a thicker case, so the throating is different then the .223. Hence the 5.56 has more pressure. If it says that is chambered for the 5.56 then you can fire .223. Both mini-14's I owned where chambered for the .223.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The Mini's manuals say it can fire any SAAMI and Military spec ammunition, so I would assume its 5.56 chambered.

As for the .223 history:
    During the late 1950s, ArmaLite and other U.S. firearm designers started their individual Small Caliber/High Velocity (SCHV) assault rifle experiments using the commercial .222 Remington cartridge. When it became clear that there was not enough powder capacity to meet U.S. Continental Army Command's (CONARC) velocity and penetration requirements, ArmaLite contacted Remington to create a similar cartridge with a longer case body and shorter neck. This became the .222 Remington Special. At the same time, Springfield Armory's Earle Harvey had Remington create an even longer cartridge case then known as the .224 Springfield. Springfield was forced to drop out of the CONARC competition, and thus the .224 Springfield was later released as a commercial sporting cartridge known as the .222 Remington Magnum. To prevent confusion with all of the competing .222 cartridge designations, the .222 Remington Special was renamed the .223 Remington. After playing with their own proprietary cartridge case design, the .224E1 Winchester, Winchester eventually standardized their case dimensions, but not overall loaded length, with the .222 Remington Special to create a cartridge known as the .224E2 Winchester. With the U.S. military adoption of the ArmaLite AR-15 as the M16 rifle in 1963, the .223 Remington was standardized as the 5.56x45mm. However, the .223 Remington was not introduced as a commercial sporting cartridge until 1964.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    The Mini14 has a 5.56 chamber not .223. Yes its states .223 on the receiver, I know. It was intended by Ruger to fire ether round. I have fired 5.56 ammo for 4 years out of mine with no issues.

That's good to know. I have had one for a while now, and have been afraid to shoot 5.56 out of it.

Top Bottom