• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    Looking in to getting a mini 14... what do you guys think about this rifle? also, I hear that there is a certain serial number that is more accurate (?) than others?

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I've got one the newer 580 serial numbers model and its accurate enough for me. From my understanding they have the newer heavier barrel which helps with accuracy.

Great guns, but boy are the factory mags salty to buy.

lnholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    West Lafayette/Wabash
    I have one, it was actually the first gun I ever purchased. Try n look for serial numbers with 580 and higher as these have the better barrels. Older ones had thin barrels which caused accuracy issues. Beyond that it is a fun
    gun to shoot, very rugged in my opinion. Just tosses brass really far

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    The accuracy problem in the older models, think mid 90's and earlier and it is after the barrel heats up. I haven't seen a "shooter" in the mini's, not saying some aren't I just haven't seen one yet. I think magazines are way expensive too.

lnholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    West Lafayette/Wabash
    Yes I've heard people saying 5" groups were the norm. I can usually get ~4" groups at a 100 yards with mine using iron sights which is good enough for me. I use it pretty much as a plinking toy. If you want something really accurate an ar or bolt action would be where you wanna look.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    The Mini-14 has never been known as a target rifle, but the newer, heavier factory barrels do improve the bullet grouping. The rifle is, in my opinion, much easier to carry and handle than an AR or AK style of firearm. (I carried an M-16 for 10 years.) My Ruger seems to be very reliable with various brands of ammo and different bullet weights. This is very important to me, because I really want the gun I'm shooting to go bang every time I press the trigger. I do not think the Mini-14 has the "sexy bling" of all the new crop of ARs now on the market, and there are not as many after-market parts and pieces to bolt on.
    My only complaint with my newer version Mini-14 is the trigger is very heavy. It needs a trigger-job worst than any thing I have shot in years. Other than that, I love the gun! It's not for sale, nor will it ever be!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    At this moment, I am holding in my hand a DVD put out by Infidel Media Group (Gabe Suarez).

It says right on the front "Mini-14 Rifle Gunfighting".

"Just as good as any other rifle".

There is no higher endorsement IMO. What is so bad about a 4 MOA rifle, anyway?

Last edited:

geno2k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    Had one in stainless. Least accurate firearm I have ever owned. It's also the only firearm i have ever sold. needless to say i was disgusted with it.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I have one and so does my dad, mines a newer 90's ranch model and dad's got the 200year liberty model older 1976, the two are quite a bit different but both shoot about the same 3-4 in groups. He talks so highly of that gun i had to buy one for my self. they will run with just about any type of ammo you throw at them and very reliable. +1 for ruger on this fine gun.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    At this moment, I am holding in my hand a DVD put out by Infidel Media Group (Gabe Suarez).

It says right on the front "Mini-14 Rifle Gunfighting".

"Just as good as any other rifle".

There is no higher endorsement IMO. What is so bad about a 4 MOA rifle, anyway?

$50 a piece for a magazine, that's what's so bad.

If you're rich, enjoy your mini. The rest of us can't swing that much for a magazine. If your weapon uses detachable magazines and you only own 4-5 magazines, have fun with that, especially if they're unique to that weapon.

The mini is, in my opinion, best for the casual shooter who needs a nice handy rifle. It isn't a "gunfighting" weapon, simply for logistics reasons, just like a lamborghini probably isn't top choice for your local track meets. Does that mean it's garbage? No, it just has appeal to a different crowd.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    $50 a piece for a magazine, that's what's so bad.

If you're rich, enjoy your mini. The rest of us can't swing that much for a magazine. If your weapon uses detachable magazines and you only own 4-5 magazines, have fun with that, especially if they're unique to that weapon.

The mini is, in my opinion, best for the casual shooter who needs a nice handy rifle. It isn't a "gunfighting" weapon, simply for logistics reasons, just like a lamborghini probably isn't top choice for your local track meets. Does that mean it's garbage? No, it just has appeal to a different crowd.
    CDNN has Factory 20's for $24.99, and Factory 30's for $34.99.
    Ruger Mags

Top Bottom