• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I know this will get a bunch of mixed opinions, but what is the minimum size crappie you will take home to eat? As I am getting older I seem to throw more and more back and I am somewhat convincing my father to do the same. When I was growing up the old saying "its bigger than a bluegill" was used many times. (and I've cleaned some very small bluegill) Rule of thumb is roughly a 9" crappie, but there are smaller ones that make it to the table. This rule also only applies to certain bodies of water. Patoka in general I've kept numerous under 9" because heck that is about all that is in there! HAHA I think the smaller ones taste better anyway. Can't wait to hear some HONEST replies!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We keep anything that is at least the size of a decent bluegill. If it swallows the hook and is going to die anyway, we bring it home to eat.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Yea anything around 10-14" is good with me. Anything bigger isn't as good to me. I keep smaller ones when they are going to die anyway. I personally prefer bass in the same 10-12" range too, which is why I like slot limit lakes.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I think we went by the rule of thumb. Needs to be a thumbs width between the eyes. Or a gutted catch. Either way. Of course, I haven't been fishing in probably 10-15 years, as once my uncle got diagnosed with Prostate Ca we kind of quit going.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    After 42 years of fish cleanin' rule #1 for at least 38 has been, based on the species and bone structure, can I safely clean it with a knife quickly. I don't like cleaning tiny crappie.

Rule #2, if I am eating it fresh without freezing it, I will go smaller. I don't waste freezer space on small stuff.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I suck at cleaning fish, so anything smaller than 12" or so goes back into the lake if I have anything to say about it. My FIL wants to keep every crappie from dinks on up but since I'm the guy that does the cleaning, I try to get him to throw the smaller fish back.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I suck at cleaning fish, so anything smaller than 12" or so goes back into the lake if I have anything to say about it. My FIL wants to keep every crappie from dinks on up but since I'm the guy that does the cleaning, I try to get him to throw the smaller fish back.
    So you try not to keep an 11 inch crappie? Woah you are missing out on some great eating. I dont think I could ever do that. i also wouldnt come home with very many fish. HAHA!

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    So you try not to keep an 11 inch crappie? Woah you are missing out on some great eating. I dont think I could ever do that. i also wouldnt come home with very many fish. HAHA!

I am not that much of a fish eater, so I guess it depends on the day and how well they're biting. I like catfish much better than anything else that I catch. The biggest issue on smaller fish is getting usable meat because I'm so bad at cleaning them.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I am not that much of a fish eater, so I guess it depends on the day and how well they're biting. I like catfish much better than anything else that I catch. The biggest issue on smaller fish is getting usable meat because I'm so bad at cleaning them.

Interesting. Do you mind if I ask how you clean them and the tools you use? Im only 24 and have been cleaning them for over 10 years. Never in that time did I consider myself bad at doing the job, but I was super slow starting out. Granted I have butchered a fish or two, but with the amount I've cleaned over the years, it happens. Many videos online can help in the process.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I'm glad King31 asked that. I was kind of thinking the same thing. I am certainly no pro at cleaning fish, but I can filet them almost as fast as the hubby can scale them. Nothing better than those little panfish filets seasoned with some salt, pepper and a bit of flour and fried up. I am hoping to get our freezer filled back up this summer. Last summer was not a good fishing season here...life got in the way.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Interesting. Do you mind if I ask how you clean them and the tools you use? Im only 24 and have been cleaning them for over 10 years. Never in that time did I consider myself bad at doing the job, but I was super slow starting out. Granted I have butchered a fish or two, but with the amount I've cleaned over the years, it happens. Many videos online can help in the process.

I filet and skin both sides so that there's no bones and no skin, otherwise nobody at our house will eat them. On the smaller fish, that doesn't leave much.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I filet and skin both sides so that there's no bones and no skin, otherwise nobody at our house will eat them. On the smaller fish, that doesn't leave much.

It does once you get used to cleaning them. You'd be surprised at how much you would start to get after the 3rd or 4th fish in. But if you are used to cleaning catfish, yes, it will never be near the meat or thickness as that. Leave them in the lakes, more for me:D

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana

I see. When you skin, are you using an electric knife? The best way to skin, IMO, is pulling off while still on the fish with a pair of catfish skinning pliers. Then once it is off on both sides, use a 5" filet knife and carefully slice the meat around the ribs all the way to the tail. On smaller fish, like you say there is not much left after skinning. With that being said, this is why I usually just scale the smaller ones. You hardly ever notice the skin on there and personally I like the added crispness the skin gives.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I see. When you skin, are you using an electric knife? The best way to skin, IMO, is pulling off while still on the fish with a pair of catfish skinning pliers. Then once it is off on both sides, use a 5" filet knife and carefully slice the meat around the ribs all the way to the tail. On smaller fish, like you say there is not much left after skinning. With that being said, this is why I usually just scale the smaller ones. You hardly ever notice the skin on there and personally I like the added crispness the skin gives.

No electric knife. The few folks I have seen that used them wasted more meat than saved so I stick with a filet knife and bigger fish. The electric knife users also seem to leave a lot of bones in the meat, so with the picky eaters at my house, I try to remove every bone.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Post a pic of your favorite knife you would use to clean a crappie, then we will fix your problem. A man should be able to filet a minnow or a shark, it does not mean he has to do it, just knows how.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I only keep fish on the smaller end usuall. My logic is that there can be new 6_8 inchers next spring cant grow a foot long crappie in a year however cleaning 5hem does suck but if you think of tyem as livestock it makes sense to eat the easily replaceable. Ones

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    evolevo
    Top Bottom