• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    What would be my best option to alert law enforcement that I cannot hear before they knocked the door down, or am I up the creek?

Would a sign or sticker on my door do any good? "Heavily Armed and Deaf"

I'd probably be shot and it's God's will if I survive or not like it has always been in the past.
    Same alert you'd use for EMS or Fire knocking at your door, whatever that may be. A sign that says there are guns in the house and you would be unable to hear them break in to steal them, is not a great idea.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm deaf without my hearing aid, and if something like this happened my dog would alert me by waking me I would then grab my AR-15 that hangs in my wall for home invasions or people on property that should not be at night. So I can see this happening even if they yelled who they were I still wouldn't hear them.

What would be my best option to alert law enforcement that I cannot hear before they knocked the door down, or am I up the creek?

Would a sign or sticker on my door do any good? "Heavily Armed and Deaf"

I'd probably be shot and it's God's will if I survive or not like it has always been in the past.
    Depending on where you are you may be able to have local dispatch put a note on your address which explains your concerns. Denny made a valid point about a sign but in Indy they can attach notes to addresses and they'll relay that info to whomever is going to the address. I'd ask to confirm that it would get to LE, Fire & EMS just to be sure.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Depending on where you are you may be able to have local dispatch put a note on your address which explains your concerns. Denny made a valid point about a sign but in Indy they can attach notes to addresses and they'll relay that info to whomever is going to the address. I'd ask to confirm that it would get to LE, Fire & EMS just to be sure.
    I'll check into that about the dispatch noting my hearing disability. That would be better than posting a sign for thugs to try and take advantage of.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Per "sources" St Paul originally wanted to do a regular search warrant and that is all they originally requested, Minneapolis SWAT said no we'll only do a no-knock.
    Minneapolis SWAT need to put on their big-boy panties...

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Indiana has a law that it is legal for someone to shoot law-enforcement that break into their homes without a warrant. I understand that these Gestapo did have a warrant, but, as has been said, awakened from a deep sleep, seeing multiple intruders in your face coming at you...I know I'm going to defend myself. I am normally a hardcore, steadfast law-enforcement supporter, but everyone of these clowns need to be charged with murder. Period. Police may not do whatever they want, whenever they want, however they want. This entire fiasco is ********.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'll check into that about the dispatch noting my hearing disability. That would be better than posting a sign for thugs to try and take advantage of.
    If it makes you feel any better I'll share a story from when I was still a wet behind the ears, very green young deputy.

We got dispatched to assist EMS with an elderly lady, wheelchair bound who was holding them at gunpoint. I got there, looked inside and this poor old lady was blind and very near deaf, sitting in her wheelchair with a J frame revolver in her hand, waving it from side to side in the direction of two young EMS medics who had responded to one of the medical alert alarms. They were both frozen and as she was waving the J frame back and forth she kept asking "Are you the plumber?". Looking back it was almost comical but if I remember correctly this was my first run with an armed person so I wasn't seeing the humor in the moment.

Thankfully another more experienced deputy was right behind me when I arrived so he saw what I saw and pretty quickly said "Hey guys" maybe a little louder than a normal conversation voice. They both moved their eyes only and looked at him. He said "It's OK" and waved them towards us and they bolted for the door and past us. I stepped back out onto the front porch and hit for a supervisor.

An older lieutenant (he trained my Dad as a young deputy) was on and asked what we had. I explained the situation and he asked "Is anyone else still in there?" to which I replied "No Sir". Then he asked if she appeared to be in need of medical assistance and I gave the same answer. Then he said "Well, close the front door, lock it for her if you can, if she doesn't need assistance just leave her be, ain't nothin wrong with being crazy in your own house". We did just that.

The moral being, not all cops are quick to shoot just because someone has a gun. I've worked with some of the best.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    If it makes you feel any better I'll share a story from when I was still a wet behind the ears, very green young deputy.

We got dispatched to assist EMS with an elderly lady, wheelchair bound who was holding them at gunpoint. I got there, looked inside and this poor old lady was blind and very near deaf, sitting in her wheelchair with a J frame revolver in her hand, waving it from side to side in the direction of two young EMS medics who had responded to one of the medical alert alarms. They were both frozen and as she was waving the J frame back and forth she kept asking "Are you the plumber?". Looking back it was almost comical but if I remember correctly this was my first run with an armed person so I wasn't seeing the humor in the moment.

Thankfully another more experienced deputy was right behind me when I arrived so he saw what I saw and pretty quickly said "Hey guys" maybe a little louder than a normal conversation voice. They both moved their eyes only and looked at him. He said "It's OK" and waved them towards us and they bolted for the door and past us. I stepped back out onto the front porch and hit for a supervisor.

An older lieutenant (he trained my Dad as a young deputy) was on and asked what we had. I explained the situation and he asked "Is anyone else still in there?" to which I replied "No Sir". Then he asked if she appeared to be in need of medical assistance and I gave the same answer. Then he said "Well, close the front door, lock it for her if you can, if she doesn't need assistance just leave her be, ain't nothin wrong with being crazy in your own house". We did just that.

The moral being, not all cops are quick to shoot just because someone has a gun. I've worked with some of the best.
    Thank God for sane, reasoned people with a badge.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    How many times do they have to say "police"? What's the minimum? 50? How long should they stand still, yelling "police" while someone comes out from under a blanket with a pistol in their hand? 10 seconds? 20? 30?

"legally possessed the gun" - as if that has anything to do with the justification of the shooting. Typical leftist tactic, grow up.

If I scream police numerous times before kicking down your door with a gun pointed at you, are you going to magically just be okay with me kicking down your door?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Same alert you'd use for EMS or Fire knocking at your door, whatever that may be. A sign that says there are guns in the house and you would be unable to hear them break in to steal them, is not a great idea.
    I should have put purple there about the sign, but I was seriously considering a hearing impaired sign. I imagine that would make a thug more willing to try something.
    However, I do have a 95lb Flat Coated Retriever and she is highly protective of me, and a very helpful aid in alerting me to people outside. She is even trained to wake me if the fire alarms are going off which I cannot hear without my hearing aid. I do have a strob alarm above my bed that wakes me up but the smoke would need to get to my bedroom for that to kick in. I have regular alarms around the rest of the house as well.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If I scream police numerous times before kicking down your door with a gun pointed at you, are you going to magically just be okay with me kicking down your door?
    If anyone is pointing a gun at me and screaming police I can pretty much guarantee you that short of being in a coma, the very last thing you would see me do is reach for a gun.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Aside from an active shooter/immediate known threat to people in the area, I don't believe these tactics are ever appropriate on US soil.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to barge into the residence of a potential drug lord, loudly. That seems worlds more dangerous than shadowing and stalking until an opportunity for minimal risk apprehension is presented.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Aside from an active shooter/immediate known threat to people in the area, I don't believe these tactics are ever appropriate on US soil.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to barge into the residence of a potential drug lord, loudly. That seems worlds more dangerous than shadowing and stalking until an opportunity for minimal risk apprehension is presented.
    Therein lies the rub and the can't win situation LE finds itself in. Try to catch them at home so they can't hurt anyone else and something like this happens. Try to catch them away from home and someone completely uninvolved gets injured in a car chase or a shooting and everyone asks why they couldn't just watch his house and catch him there.

I don't like no knock warrants and I can tell you that the number of them has declined dramatically in recent years (for Indy) which is something I wholeheartedly agree with. There are rare circumstances where it is the best option but those are not common. I believe they should be reserved for only those situations where a no-knock clearly presents the least likely option to result in injury.

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    Have a firearm in the bedroom? More specifically, you mean firearm within instant access in the bedroom? I would venture to guess, a low percentage. The video appears to show the subject was sleeping with his. Only about 22% (72 Million people) of the US population owns guns. Only about 11 million people hold carry license in US or 5% of the US Population. Now you obviously don't need a CCW/LTCH to sleep with your gun but it does reflect a certain mindset that would likely carryover to this behavior. Long story short, few people are within instant access to their handgun in their bedroom. This is all we discuss here so in this bubble it seems like these numbers would be significant, but they are likely just the opposite.
    I slept with a gun on the pillow beside me for several years when I was single. No criminal behavior, just lived in an area that I didn't feel safe in and response time would be faster. If the first guy through my door was SWAT at the wrong address then I don't know what to tell you. Double oops

Thank you for not killing an elderly blind and deaf woman in a wheelchair. That was very heroic.

Top Bottom