• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    I don't know if this has been mentioned before - I couldn't find anything on it. My father-in-law from IL was talking about not being allowed to buy a rifle in IN, so I started looking up the IN law under the impression that he could as far as IN was concerned. The old law, IC 35-47-5-6 (pasted below) was just repealed this past legislative session, but I was struggling to find what it had been replaced with. As it turns out, it had been replaced with nothing, and was only in existence because of a now irrelevant part of federal law. See Senate Bill 0094.
    Repeals a provision that states: (1) a resident of Indiana may purchase a rifle or shotgun in Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois; and (2) a resident of Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois may purchase a rifle or shotgun in Indiana. (This provision was enacted in 1983 in response to the federal Gun Control Act, which allowed sales of rifles and shotguns to a nonresident of a contiguous state only if both states enacted laws allowing the sales. However, this contiguous state requirement of the federal law was amended in 1986 so that firearms dealers can sell to residents of any other state if the purchase is legal under federal law and any applicable state laws.)
    Just a FYI in case anyone else missed this bill getting passed. (Comes into effect on 01 July 2011). Short answer is that as far as IN is concerned, residents can buy a rifle from anywhere and residents of any other state can buy a rifle here (assuming everybody is legally able to buy said weapon).

IC 35-47-5-6 (REPEALED)
    Purchasing or obtaining a rifle or shotgun
    Sec. 6. (a) Any resident of Indiana:
    (1) who is eighteen (18) years of age or older; and
    (2) who is not prohibited by law from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm;
    may purchase or obtain a rifle or shotgun in Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois.
    (b) Any resident of Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois:
    (1) who is eighteen (18) years of age or older; and (2) who is not prohibited by the laws of Indiana, his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm;
    may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun, or ammunition for a rifle or a shotgun in Indiana.
    (c) Any transaction under this section is subject to the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (82 Stat. 1213, 18 U.S.C. 0.922(B)(3)).

remnut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    This law should be known in Ohio as I have tried to buy shotguns and rifles at a few shows over there and was unable to because I didnt have an Ohio drivers license, whats up with that?

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    Some shops know it. I bought a rifle at CSS in Ohio 18 months ago. Same paperwork. They called it in and I drove home with an Anschutz.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    Both states have to be ok with it, so you'd have to check OH laws to see if out-of-state residents are allowed to buy rifles there. But you're good as far as IN is concerned.

DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    You always have been, as long as you went there to pick it up. As far as ordering one and having it delivered, that has not changed.

OK - Just emailed them (Aim Surplus) - and heard back within an hour. They will sell long guns to IN residents, pending the instant check and only by appointment, like anyone picking up. :rockwoot:

Time to start the fund for a Mosin and can of ammo.

On a side note, that'll be an easy trip to take since I have a great niece about 10 miles from there. Yeah, honey, let's go see the baby!

DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    Shoot, a little sales tax compared to shipping and a C&R license is cheap. I can't afford to take advantage of a C&R, so it would be a good deal for me at least.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    As far as I am concerned, I feel no sympathy for anyone that hails from the same state as our current so-called President. They all knew what they were getting into when the chose to either move to or stay in the Republic of Illinois.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    wait, I thought I remember this law change when it was going through saying we would be allowed to buy a rifle in any state in the US?

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    wait, I thought I remember this law change when it was going through saying we would be allowed to buy a rifle in any state in the US?

Yes, I believe it does. It repeals the part that said you can purchase in only the contagious states around Indiana.:yesway: As long as the state you are buying in allows the FFL to sell to you (a resident of Indiana). That being said, the out-of-state FFL would have to know the law and let you purchase from them (I don’t see too many Wally World selling guns to people from 3 states over).

Does anyone have a list of the states that would allow an Indiana resident to purchase a long gun after 7/1/11?

Top Bottom