• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy
    Earlier this evening I was involved in a minor collision with another car. My mirror is hanging off and some of her paint is missing. Both of us exchanged information with each other, and although a police officer was called out, he didn't take any information from us and no police report was filed. The only thing that he gave us was his card with a, I believe he called it a C.A.T. number, but for the life of me I cant remember.

My question is where really do I go from here? Fixing my mirror would be less than my insurance deductible, so should I even inform my insurance company of it? Am I legally required to inform them of the accident? Also no report was filed by the officer, do they just not do this on scene? Am I supposed to go in and have it filed, or will just no report be filed?

This is all new to me, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I'd call or PM AllenM at Diamond Collision in Avon. He's a member, an advertiser, a good guy, and owner of a collision shop - he'll probably give you an idea of your options.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I thought the CAT/CAD/Whatever it is was the police report?
    Who was at fault?
    If it's just a mirror and you are not worried about anything else to the car, go to a junk yard and replace the mirror.

Although I would inform your insurance company incase the other party decides to come after your insurance company or you for the damages.

Mirrors are somewhat easy to replace. 3 or 4 nuts and maybe a wire harness.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I would at least contact my insurance agent to see what s/he recommends--in case the other driver makes a claim. I've been there, that's what I did.

A suggestion for replacing that mirror---RockAuto.com. My wife side-swiped a deer a couple years ago and knocked the side-mirror right off the side of the van. They had a direct replacement that bolted right into place and looked exactly like brand new.

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy
    I thought the CAT/CAD/Whatever it is was the police report?
    Who was at fault?
    If it's just a mirror and you are not worried about anything else to the car, go to a junk yard and replace the mirror.

Although I would inform your insurance company incase the other party decides to come after your insurance company or you for the damages.

Mirrors are somewhat easy to replace. 3 or 4 nuts and maybe a wire harness.

He was there for maybe all of 2 mins, never took any info from us, even informed us that we really didnt even need to call him since we had exchanged information with each other.

its a He says She says on who is at fault. I am saying she was at fault, she says that I am at fault.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I'd call the insurance company and let them know about it just to CYA from the other person. If you don't want to file a claim you don't have to.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I would at least contact my insurance agent to see what s/he recommends--in case the other driver makes a claim. I've been there, that's what I did.

A suggestion for replacing that mirror---RockAuto.com. My wife side-swiped a deer a couple years ago and knocked the side-mirror right off the side of the van. They had a direct replacement that bolted right into place and looked exactly like brand new.
    This, you want your insurance company to have a heads up if the other person files. You may also have to file a proof of insurance form with the state and your insurance agent will help with that. Just because you tell them something happened doesn't mean you have to file a claim.

Top Bottom