• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm going to argue for a PSA ar-15 with 16 inch barrel in .223 wylde or 5.56. Cheap, accurate, reliable, able to upgrade easily for those wishing for more. Cheap mags. Easy manual of arms with easy cleaning.
    What would you recommend to a new shooter for an optic or irons?

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have several, but my Windham MPC M4gery is the one that I have that eats anything, doesn't care how dirty it is and is consistently accurate no matter what round or grain weight it is. It and my Glock 17 would be my picks.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    For me personally I suppose I have two:

-6920 with a quad rail, light, and 1-6 LPVO. This is probably the go-to for most things. It's heavy but I do think the full 1-6 is essential to cover both CQB and doing PID and engagement at range. Govt profile barrel, chrome lined, for sustained fire capability. Collapsible stock for armor.

-KP15 pencil barrel with light and 1.5-4 LPVO. Much much lighter, this would be the pick for any kind of serious overland foot movements. 1.5x is passable for CQB but not great, 4x is good for distance and PID but not amazing. Barrel is perfectly accurate but will overhead faster. Fixed stock, not a problem because armor will be minimal or nonexistent. All these compromises are in service to cutting weight for movement.

I really do think, A1 memes aside, that magnification is essential. Below is a video that demonstrates nicely. The compromises of going up to 1-8x or 1-10x are substantial, but even topping out at 6x is a huge advantage at seeing targets in the real world. Real world targets are not brightly contrasted, stationary, upright torso targets. Irons are great on the Camp Perry known distance range, but off range you have to do all sorts of stuff like: Spot prone targets, identify uniforms, look for weapons versus empty hands, engage partial targets at unknown range, collect information for reconnaissance, etc. For reference, read up on the massive increase in lethality following the general rollout of the ACOG in Iraq.

The big problem with magnified optics is figuring out how to make them play nice with night vision, but I don't know if we're quite at the point where mass night vision capability is really on the table for "minutemen".

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Interesting thread to read through, instead of listing every detail I thought I'd just cover where I differ from many/most on my setup.

First, I see no reason to have a rifle with a barrel less than 16" for this purpose. The rifle should have both primary and backup sights, IMO, but as much as I like LVPOs, I tend to think that is too too much for this application. An ACOG or similar low power fixed optic in a quick detach mount would be my choice. Lastly, I don't see a reason to use ammo with more than 55 grain bullets or to limit myself to FMJ.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I just picked up my first ACOG a couple of months ago but have not had a lot of time behind it yet. That, on an M4 sized rifle, would be a nice setup. Right now, it's on an A4 style rifle with a 20" barrel. I need to run that setup more this summer to see if I need to invest in ACOGs for a couple of the other rifles floating around here.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    I keep thinking about a low power/lpv optic in place of the current Aimpoint PRO. I feel like it would suit the rifle much better. Aimpoint is bombproof but limited.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I keep thinking about a low power/lpv optic in place of the current Aimpoint PRO. I feel like it would suit the rifle much better. Aimpoint is bombproof but limited.
    I'm a fan of the 1-6x LPVO but also like the light weight and simplicity of the ACOG. My short ARs tend to have Eotechs on them, which really seem to work at CQB distances.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Let me answer the original question with a question.

Would you rather have the new "modern minute man" be the guy who shows up out of shape with all brand new gear that's on your checklist, or would you rather have a stud show up with what he had handed down to him for hunting and that he knows how to use because he's been hunting with it since he was 18?

My "Ideal Minuteman" would be a guy showing up who can handle a 3 second sprint (I'm up, he see's me, I'm down) with a rifle he knows damn well out to 400 yards that can go backpacking for days and butcher wild game. I'll take that patriotic outdoorsman kinda guy any day over the giant beer bellied nascar fan with "no fear" stickers on his lifted truck.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Let me answer the original question with a question.

Would you rather have the new "modern minute man" be the guy who shows up out of shape with all brand new gear that's on your checklist, or would you rather have a stud show up with what he had handed down to him for hunting and that he knows how to use because he's been hunting with it since he was 18?

My "Ideal Minuteman" would be a guy showing up who can handle a 3 second sprint (I'm up, he see's me, I'm down) with a rifle he knows damn well out to 400 yards that can go backpacking for days and butcher wild game. I'll take that patriotic outdoorsman kinda guy any day over the giant beer bellied nascar fan with "no fear" stickers on his lifted truck.
    The idea behind the original question was that a growing segment of society might become more in tune with the original intent of the Second Amendment and that they would begin buying, and learning how to use a long arm. It's not at all about creating a shopping list for the last minute.

The question was asking if we began training together as small groups with regularity, what would be acceptable for folks to show up and train with. The fantasy here would be the general acceptance in American society of the need and people voluntarily supplying themselves with as much of it as the can. Then, taking the time to learn to be proficient with it.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Interesting thread to read through, instead of listing every detail I thought I'd just cover where I differ from many/most on my setup.

First, I see no reason to have a rifle with a barrel less than 16" for this purpose. The rifle should have both primary and backup sights, IMO, but as much as I like LVPOs, I tend to think that is too too much for this application. An ACOG or similar low power fixed optic in a quick detach mount would be my choice. Lastly, I don't see a reason to use ammo with more than 55 grain bullets or to limit myself to FMJ.
    Barrel length is shooters choice, as is ammo.

The 77gr MK262 ammo, was developed for the MK12 platform, because it performs much better at the desired distance than 55 or 62gr ammo. I’ll take every edge I can get in a gun fight. But again, shooters choice.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The idea behind the original question was that a growing segment of society might become more in tune with the original intent of the Second Amendment and that they would begin buying, and learning how to use a long arm. It's not at all about creating a shopping list for the last minute.

The question was asking if we began training together as small groups with regularity, what would be acceptable for folks to show up and train with. The fantasy here would be the general acceptance in American society of the need and people voluntarily supplying themselves with as much of it as the can. Then, taking the time to learn to be proficient with it.
    If it's all about gear, here's my suggestion. For a rifle I'd vote either an AR-15 in whatever kind of barbie doll M4 wannabe configuration a person choses or an AK-47 in whatever configuration a person choses for all the same reasons. Glock 19 or 17 on their side. I think a person would show up with at least 6 mags plus one in the gun, a poncho or some form of rain gear, some water, medical, a radio, and a couple food bars.

The reasons I'd say that is because if something did happen more than likely those are the tools people would show up with and have some commonality. As much as I love my M1A scout, and as much as there's a time and place for everything this wouldn't be it.

The growing segment of society gravitating towards gun ownership is not something that really excites or disappoints me anymore. I've seen enough election cycles where people bought all the guns and ammo they could and then after the next election ends and goes their way all the purchasing pressure on those things goes away. I get that it's a fun mental exercise to ask what a persons "minuteman" loadout is going to be, but if people are just starting to sort that out on the day they need it or the weeks prior then they're really not ready for it. There was a line in the movie zoro that comes to mind "you'd fight very bravely and die very quickly". I got into this debate with a family member on facebook during the riots because he wanted to form a "militia". He's a mid 50's guy who's never been a cop or served in the military who still lives in his moms house. I could see the comments of him stirring up a bunch of fellow idiots and while pawns have their place, it wasn't going to work out for them the way they thought it would. Now he's a tough guy because he carries a G19 with a red dot, and still never showed up.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    A rifle every American should own to perform duties as a minuteman... I'm going with the lightest AR you can find. 14-18" barrel. Light. Sling. Optic (I like LVPOs) and later some kind IR for night time shenanigans.

Honestly anything from a bolt rifle to belt fed, as long they know their role, is good to go in my opinion.

It would be interesting to know what everyone would use for comms as they link up.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    A rifle every American should own to perform duties as a minuteman... I'm going with the lightest AR you can find. 14-18" barrel. Light. Sling. Optic (I like LVPOs) and later some kind IR for night time shenanigans.

Honestly anything from a bolt rifle to belt fed, as long they know their role, is good to go in my opinion.

It would be interesting to know what everyone would use for comms as they link up.
    Comms are an area that I need to work on. Best I have right now is a bunch of GMRS radios.

Top Bottom