• ...and so much more!
  • MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Come on. I'm guessing about the average INGO resident but I guess that most of us live in cities or suburbs and any AR capable of 300 yards is more than sufficient. Hell, for most, a shotgun with slugs and a red dot would suffice to hit most targets.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It would be interesting to know what everyone would use for comms as they link up.
    From what I've seen on youtube and pictures of people at riots whether it's blm/antifa or local people showing up to prevent damage to property it seems like the Baofeng UV-5R will be the next unofficial sponsor of both sides for the next crisis. Currently $20 ish on amazon. You can and should buy them by the half dozen.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    From what I've seen on youtube and pictures of people at riots whether it's blm/antifa or local people showing up to prevent damage to property it seems like the Baofeng UV-5R will be the next unofficial sponsor of both sides for the next crisis. Currently $20 ish on amazon. You can and should buy them by the half dozen.
    I have a few UV-5R. Working on getting my tech license.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Come on. I'm guessing about the average INGO resident but I guess that most of us live in cities or suburbs and any AR capable of 300 yards is more than sufficient. Hell, for most, a shotgun with slugs and a red dot would suffice to hit most targets.

I've met quite a few people who believe they need a 24 power scope and 6.5 creedmoor to shoot 500 yards, and think 308 can't make it out there.

So it's no surprise a lot of folks think 5.56 isn't going to work out to 300.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I've met quite a few people who believe they need a 24 power scope and 6.5 creedmoor to shoot 500 yards, and think 308 can't make it out there.

So it's no surprise a lot of folks think 5.56 isn't going to work out to 300.
    If you watch Henry and 9 Hole Reviews, there are a bunch of calibers that can push way out there with even low magnification or irons. The limiting factor is often just seeing the target.

But 5.56 and x39 definitely begin to transition to "beaten zone" by 500, along with the velocity loss.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    There's plenty of calibers that'll reach a 1,000 yards. Honestly, the days of that being a big deal are kind of over. 15 years ago 1,000 yards was a bucket list opportunity for most shooters to ever get a chance to shoot that far and now it's not all that uncommon. The technology in scopes, ammo, bipods and everything else have turned your average guy into a marksman with some real opportunity for distance with very minimal effort. How all that matches up for a "minuteman" application is up to the user, but I go to matches where I see some very patriotic guys that have next to zero physical ability left, but would be terrifying from a distance if you weren't on their good side. Adjust the tactics to suit the fight you'd prefer in your own situation.

I should add that I'm glad I live in a world where we don't have to worry about our government and having to apply such thoughts to anything resembling our day to day lives. My government loves me, always does the right thing, and is here to help.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Barrel length is shooters choice, as is ammo.

The 77gr MK262 ammo, was developed for the MK12 platform, because it performs much better at the desired distance than 55 or 62gr ammo. I’ll take every edge I can get in a gun fight. But again, shooters choice.
    Ballistically you have to get beyond 500 yards before the heavier bullet weights have an advantage. Unless the opponent has a shorter ranged cartridge, intentionally getting in a gun fight beyond 500 yards with 5.56 seems like a losing proposition regardless of bullet weight and if the opponent does have a shorter ranged cartridge, I doubt it matters enough to worry about. In a minute man situation, there'd be little reason to restrict one's ammo selection to FMJ, so no reason to choose heavy 5.56 ammo for the marginal increase in terminal performance.

I agree about taking every edge I can get but there's no such thing as a free lunch, there's always tradeoffs one has to make. I'd rather pick my advantages to better cover the 80% scenario than to focus it on the other 20%.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    If you watch Henry and 9 Hole Reviews, there are a bunch of calibers that can push way out there with even low magnification or irons. The limiting factor is often just seeing the target.

But 5.56 and x39 definitely begin to transition to "beaten zone" by 500, along with the velocity loss.

The funny thing to me is that subsonics have more range, in theory, than smaller rifle cartridges.

9mm in 147gr flavor can be accurate out to 1000 yards and beyond if kept subsonic. 5.56 can get there with the right bullet that transitions gracefully to subsonic, but 7.62x39mm is approaching a lost cause.

That said for standard ball, I put the range on 5.56 at 75-120 yards, because of the fragmentation window. It gets feeling very anemic on steel at 300, to the point that 9mm sounds like it's hitting harder.

If you want to see some impressive shooting:

bashMOH

Hawaiian Pizza
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Daviess county
    For the common man, any $500 rack-grade AR with good range ammo would be fine.
    If we are using the example in the OP, then I agree. As long as it isn't a glorified paperweight, an AR with good ammo and you're set. If we are using the historic minuteman, then I think we would need to get in the weeds of small unit compositions. Everyone would still work off the AR platform, but you'd have team leaders, designated marksmen, SAW (or as close as we can get), drone operators, etc. They would all have different skills and different kit

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    INGO is loaded with aficionados, gun snobs, and connoisseurs.
    For the common man, any $500 rack-grade AR with good range ammo would be fine.

As one of those self proclaimed gun connoisseurs, I'd agree that any budget AR with bulk grade ammo would be sufficient to cause a racquet. I live out in the country so I personally would use a 16" barrel. For you city slickers one of those "pistol" ARs would do the job.

1689969671984.png

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    As one of those self proclaimed gun connoisseurs, I'd agree that any budget AR with bulk grade ammo would be sufficient to cause a racquet. I live out in the country so I personally would use a 16" barrel. For you city slickers one of those "pistol" ARs would do the job.

View attachment 288481
    I think stubby little guns are overrated. Ain't nothing wrong with 16" at all.

Top Bottom